A170 Autotronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killie77

Car
E270cdi
Hi
Been looking around Today. and have came accross the above.
this was at a Mercedes Dealership in Geffnock . I had a look at the Car this afternoon It's an 06 Plate A170 Avantgarde SE with Autotronic Box.
Did not have a test drive. will do this tomorrow. When the Wife is with me the Car will be for Her so hope she takes a liking to it. Was wondering if anyone can give me some info on the Autotronic Box how many gears and is it full auto or semi. Also waht kind of Fuel economy on the 170 Petrol ?
One other thing checked a couple of Reviews and most said the Steering was a bit lifeless and the car rolls a bit in Corners. Any body have one and can give me some input on the Car
Thanks
Ian

Be aware when driving it the CVT transmission operates in a different way to a normal auto, ie you put your foot down, the revs climb immediately and the transmission catches up, for all the world like a slipping clutch on a manual car. I have owned an MGF with CVT and my wife's current Honda Jazz has this type of transmission (with a 7 step manual mode like the Merc) and both were/are good to drive. Her car was making a rattling noise (loose undertray) so she put it into a non Honda garage (name witheld to spare blushes!). When we went to pick it up we were informed the transmission was slipping and was on its last legs! They did cure the rattle though........

My Wifes B class has the CVT auto box, 7 speed.

Drives really smooth, its like one big gear....makes my 5 speed in the E class feel cluncky. Ours is a 2.0d and gets 50mpg quite easily with my best 59mpg.

I agree its 'different' way of driving it, but you soon get used to it and its very smooth.

Unless the petrol is much cheaper, why not consider a A180cdi / 200cdi? they should do 50mpg on almost any run, and hold the price better.

Recently changed from an S320 petrol 5 speed box to a B with autotronic. The gear change is really really smoothe you don't feel it even when driving hard. Going down hill, if you break the gears drop down to give engine breaking as well. In manual mode it is a 5 speed, in auto there is an extra two gears from somewhere or something that equates to an extra two gears, I am sure your wife will love it.

Thanks for the replies going for a Test Drive this afternoon, With luck she will OK with the Auto Transmission, had a Rav4 Auto which she really enjoyed driving but the Petrol consumption was to much to live with.
Would have liked a Diesel but their was not much choice in Auto Format
we live in Glasgow. Not many decent ones around here. The one were going to look at is quite highly speck for the Price suppose to have full MB history and 12 months warranty.
Another thing we don't cover a lot of mileage so hoping the 1.7 will work out economical over the course of the Year
Regards
Ian

It might be worth asking the question. "How about a two year warranty" Given that you will not be doing too many miles.

Thanks for advice on Warranty. Will check for Rust as directed.
Just back from Test Drive. Wife drove the Car first did a bit of MotorwaY and a bit of town driving i was sitting in the front passenger seat noticed on the Motorway the Auto Box was quite noticeable especialy at speed when changing up, not so loud in town. I had a Drive on the way back same route Motorway town. I tghought it might have a beter turn of speed for a 1.7 ? .Maybe the autobox holds it back a bit. Noticed afterwards that the comfort setting was on so that may have been holding it back a bit.
We had to go the Bodyshop to pick the Car up as it had been in their since Friday last having a few bits sorted. I asked the Salesman if it wa in for accident Damage. His reply was it was in for Stone Chips. Must have been big stones as the y had removed the O/S/R passeger door trim plus they were putting new side strips on. Rear Bumber and Tailgate had a Few Scars was told theae would all be sorted today ready for the car being picked up tomorrow.
Car has done 52000 Miles one owner, had a look at the Srvice book stamped up to date. Transmission Oil & Brake Fluid changed at 47000. So at least that's out of the away. According to the COmputer it will be due for it's next service in 6000 miles B I think.
Quick question is the 1.7 Petrol Chain or Cambelt ?
Sorry for the long Post
Ian

She was a bit reserved at first. Not haviing been in or driven an A class before it was a whole new experience. Once she got on the Motorway and got some speed up I think she started to like the Car coming from a Rav which has quite a high driving position, this seemed as close as she would get without buying another Rav.
The Car has quite a few extras including a Six Disc CD in Glove Box with IPod input that pleased her.
Put a Deposit down and should be picking the Car up tomorrow I will go over the Car with a Fine Tooth Comb. Before parting with Balance. I feel thats only fair after the way they went over the P/X Toyota Auris 28000 Miles not a mark inside or out.
Not being pernickety just that they always seem to want everything from you. But not prepared to give to much back when your buying off them :)
Ian

Thanks one less thing to worry about :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom