A170 Cdi Alternator, Tensioner & Belt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sattie

Car
CLK 320 Advantgarde Convertible
Hi,

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows if it is possible to change the alternator, belt tensioner/roller and belt on the the above car. Hoping to do a DIY job myself but not to sure how easy / difficult it may be.

Shocking quotes:

ALTERNATOR £460 + VAT
DRIVE BELT TENSIONER AND ROLLER £121.40 + VAT
BELT £15 + VAT

LABOUR £135 + VAT

The above parts are genuine merc parts.

Can't really afford to depart with that much money. Just had a arm removed to pay for my bill on my 2001 CLK 320 convertible. £2K repair bill :mad:

Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA

Satty

The bulk of that quote seems to be the parts cost. Have you considered having your unit refurbished or possibly look for a breakers such as Mercman/Dronsfields etc? :)

What is the specific fault?

Will

Additional engine noise, seems to get louder and more worse when you turn on the heating fan....

tensioner and roller seems to be main dealer part only

euro car parts charging £146 + VAT for alternator

Thought it might be possible to replace myself.

That's over £300 saved then ;)

Why are you changing both the alternator and the tensioner, are they both faulty or is it because you are not sure which one is to blame? :)

Will

that's what the garage has told me....normally it's just the alternator that needs changing and that's when if it's not charging the battery....

several weeks ago I was at wickes, started the car and then the battery a few seconds later the battery light on the display came up. My steering wheel became very heavy. When it went off the wheel became normal. This happened 3 times within a very short period. Since then this noise has suddenly appeared and has become worse.

Took it to my local merc garage (independant) and this was his opinion regarding the noise.....

Try the A Series owners club at
http://www.baby-benz.com/portal/
Go to the Forums, look for Lofty, check one of his posts. At the end you will see a reference to his manual. You might well find an answer there.

Make sure you have all the tools before you dismantle the car. You will also need to know how much torque is needed to fasten the new items.

might just get a second opinion. I know another mechanic who serviced my bmw.

That's cheap - a merc factory recon alternator for my ML270 s £780+ vat plus another 250+vat to fit it!!

Found a guy that will do me a full recon with a 2 yr warranty for £245+vat...

Gonna fit it myself, std apart from being water cooled...

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom