A170 oil change-real world experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xselseven

Car
a170-w169
I just completed an oil change, the last resort before opening the engine, to stop the hydraulic valve lifter noise.
I had already done an injector clean solution,a valve lifter solution, and an engine flush, with no difference.

My first impression is that the space is so limited under the vehicle.
I used to drive an xtrail...
smile.gif

It seems it is really best to work on a lift, but which DIY'er has one of those handy?

Next up was the massive splash plate covering the entire engine bay, split into two halves down the centre of the vehicle lengthways.
and we are not talking plastic here guys, 2 mm thick metal!
What do they think I am going to do to this vehicle, off road escapades?
It is africa, so perhaps we dont have roads here?

Emptying the old oil was no problem, just 5 litres gushing out at high volume.
Luckily my special oil recepticle just barely handled the large volume of liquid.

The oil filter was next, and there I found two o rings in the box.
The big one was obvious, but the smaller one had me baffled.
I did see one that could be that size on the centre spindle/mounting point for the cover, right at the bottom of the spindle, but had no idea how to get that off.
I then noticed that the cover has that plastic nut moulded on it, and a perished o ring, so I replaced that.
So, not sure if I replaced the right one, or how to replace the one on the spindle/mounting point.

Filled up with oil, and that blasted noise is still there.

Just my two cents on the subject.
Every time I do something on this vehicle I plan to post about it, because there is precious little out there on our baby Benzes.

And using the WIS is just short of a nightmare, so real-world experiences are the way to go, in my opinion.

Stay well.

Here's just about everything you would ever need to know about the little a class.

Albert Rowe, Lofty's homepage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom