A180 CDI W169 Aux belt tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

floppydog

Car
A Class 180cdi W169
Hi
Just been told my aux belt tensioner may need replacing , I feel its ok , what sort of problems would I expect to see ?

It's not charging the battery properly , the on board voltage meter is up and down rarely going in to 13v . I suspect the alternator .

Anybody know anywhere near Kidderminster to check repair ?

Thanks

When you say feels ok, how did you check ? As is a pain to get at

I assumed on mine it was tensioner or belt turned out to be alternator pulley so worth checking that.

Was it making any noises?
My alternator pulley just exploded, just before it was squeeling every so often, and I did notice just before It broke the reading on my meter was only getting to 13v

Tezz

Hi
Thanks for reply , it's a person though or problem solving that's make me think it's the alternator .

No noises a slight cheap when stated cold , which could be anything in that area , no other symptoms of the tensioner failing , from what the garage said they would suspect it too loose . If that's was the case I would expect some noise in that the belt squealed . My Alfa aux tensioner wore out typical grinding and squeaking noises.

The freewheeling clutch on the alternator was replaced about 2 years ago , which has quite distinctive warning sounds .

The garage equipment says bad battery only a year old , or alternator or belt . Hence the tensioner question.

If I could get at any of the above parts , I would just change them on a process of elimination starting with the belt .

Thanks

if you have jack and stands you can get to all the parts, but if you can afford it a garage may be your best bet as its not a fun job, im just in middle of doing my pulleys, the various pulleys, alternator and belt can all be done with engine in place, not sure if you can do the whole tensioner though it may need the engine to be lowered. they should be able to take of tray, slip of belt and check all pulleys, there's a fair bit of force needed to pull tensioner back so should be an easy check, also the bottom guide pulley is a weak point.

you need a special tool for the tensioner

good source of info on A class, think the belt and pulley are on 168 pages

as for battery, my first one dies in 1.5 years, this new one just under a year iv killed it due to a drain constantly on battery

Tezz

Hi Thanks , I enjoy trying to find the problem myself and fixing , however this car on these items I can't access as I have tried with what I have . I will leave it up to the garage , if could fix then I would , the cost is secondary it just that through a process of thought and past knowledge I have fixed it . Maybe not this time . I thought in general the pulley bearings go rather than the spring ?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom