A190 Gearbox Education

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tupperware

Car
A190 300E Jensen CV-8
Hi Folks!
I own a 2002 29,000 mile A190 Auto.
Recently it has started to hang on to the lower gears and behave slightly erratically.
My service garage tell me that it is caused by my town driving (stop-start, speed humps etc.)
and that the electronics of the gearbox need re-educating and that this is done by a
procedure of running the car (on a level surface?) for 2 miles at a constant speed of 30 mph
then 40 mph etc ( I'm waiting for written details)
Firstly I'm damned if I can find any suitable roads in or around SE London and secondly I wonder
if someone out there has come across this problem before and possibly worked out a better remedy?

Hi,

Dont want to alarm you but A Class Auto Gearboxes are extremely weak, and to add to that very hard to find used.

I have just paid £850 plus fitting for one and it took me 2 months to source one.

But you may well try the reset, you can do a search on here for how to reset the gearbox, but i think its ignition on, hold accelerator down for 10 secs... It should be in the manual.

Thanks

Jay

Hi,

But you may well try the reset, you can do a search on here for how to reset the gearbox, but i think its ignition on, hold accelerator down for 10 secs... It should be in the manual.

Thanks

Jay
Hello Jay, thanks for the information.
I can't find directions anywhere in my huge handbook and your
suggestion about "hold accelerator" etc. hasn't worked.
Can I ask you where you got the advice from so I can go back
to the source and see if I need to make any adaptions to your
advice or if I'm doing it correctly.
Thanks
Barrie

Please try searching for gearbox reset on this forum, there are a lot of discussions about it :)

Well, I've just spent an interesting 3 hours doing as suggested and searching the Forum for an answer to my query.
No Joy.
Either I've missed something or, as Black C55 says, 'it does not work'
( What it is that does not work, I'm not quite sure but I'm still no nearer solving the problem )
Surely someone out there has had and cured the problem?
I don't think I have the stamina to re-search the Forum again.

Barrie

Any more idea folks?

Does it come up E on the dashboard occasionally too?

My A160 auto did this , was getting more frequent. It was subsiquently chopped in for a C240 :) but the garage didnt want to know and the car was under warranty.

There is no magic remedy on re setting gearboxes.

The most that you could hope for is to disconnect the battery for 5 mins but even that is doubtful if it will do anything.

What you Garage told you was rubbish as all boxes talk to the engine ECUs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom