A190 struggling to start on cold...error codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zerohennie

Car
A190
Hi Guys, I have some problems with the Wife's 2000 Mercedes A190, auto, petrol, when it is cold say if it is standing overnight in the garage it takes forever to start, it cranks over about 7 times before starting, it first sputters a bit on say the 5th turn, then on the 7th it wil start and then idle, work I have done so far:
replaced brake switch
cleaned throttle body and mass air sensor
replaced crank shaft positioning sensor
replaced torn breather pipe
had all the errors cleaned previously before the CPS replacement , before and after this is the errors that came up:
Lambda adaption 2 03 at maximum control stop
Oxygen sensor 1 (In front of CAT) 06 voltage too low
Lambda adaption 01 at maximum control stop
Engine Oil sensor: oil quality 00 signal improbable
CAN signal: gear identification switch 09 faulty
Guys I need help as soon as humanly possible as this is the Wife's car and needs it to drive our Son to school and back etc.
Please help, I must ad when it has started up and running it runs smooth, no problems, no idling problems no errors on dash , I have measured the batteries voltage and it is all good over 12volts

Thanks guys

Just cleaned out the mass sensor last night again....then it starts fine again for about two times afterwards, but the car stood for the night, and this morning first thing tried to start it, cranked over again about 7 times before firing up, let it heat up took it for a drive no problems,went into a shop for about an hour and a half and it struggled to start again, drove to another shop, switched off, 15 mins later started on the 4th crank of the key, the motor turns over easy and no signs of battery being flat or anything.....the guys charge me $750 to repair my mass air sensor, but I do not have the money to throw at it at the moment,and just now I take the money out for it and it is not the problem.here are the code numbers pulled from the car, 0170,0130,1179,0600, I noticed that 0130 is oxygen sensor 1 (in front of cat) 06 voltage too low, could this be the o2 sensor on the cat system, or the mass air sensor? Please guys

Have you checked the fuel pressure on cranking?????

Hi alf, no I have not checked the fuel pressure, not sure on how to do it, any advice?thanks for your reply

mmm if it had low fuel pressure ...wouldn't if affect the rest of the car when it starts? just curious as I have a starting problem...when ever the car starts it actually runs well and idles well etc....could low pressure cause it only to start difficult what other symptoms does low pressure involve? any help would be appreciated

The fuel sounds like it could be running back
You need a fuel pressure gauge to measure it. Has the fuel filter been replaced?

nope the fuel filter hasn't been changed yet...$450 for a new one... unfortunately I do not have a pressure gauge, could a blocked/old fuel filter cause starting issues yet the car runs fine?

only owned the car for about 3 months now...has 134000kms on the clock not sure if the filter has been changed out yet

another bit of info, the crank shaft positioning sensor I replaced was a 2nd hand one with part number 0031532728 and the one that was in the car was part number 0031532828 ...could the part number make a difference?

The crank sensor IMHO will not cause your problem. It is merely hard starting not non starting right?????
A spark issue will not cause this! A fuel running back issue will cause this!
Im sure the fuel pressure reg is built into the fuel filter so get a new one!!!!!
Look online on ecp for an oem ( hengst filter)
Try this and report back dude

And btw fuel pressure around 4-5 bar at ignition

Hi Alf, yeah it is hard starting.... once started it idles correctly runs fine no problems ...just on starting...
Thank you so much, will check what I can figure out today to take it in, will update my results, I hate it when someone posts about a problem and never the end result of how it was fixed :)
Thanks again

Hi Alf....i manually checked the fuel pressure....it is waaaaayy low....when first starting the car fuel almost doesn't come out of the fuel line, then drips drips drips on the next time I crank the key, and then after that it gets a bit better the more you crank the ignition so yes, the filter is def blocked!!! I Ordered a new fuel filter and should be here on thursday, will update you on what happens once it is fitted, but I am sure it is going to solve the problem.....I am stunned now, after getting so much wrong info on other forums and pages...thanks mate!

It doesn't matter how complicated they get fella.
It always comes down to the same old principles :thumb:

company phoned me...the filter is here...gonna fit it in about 7 hours...will update....yeah Alf it does, sometimes you stare so long at a problem that you don't notice anything else....

Ok fitted the filter after a huge struggle, started the car but took some time as the new filter was dry, took it for a drive still feels ok while driving, left it to stand about an hour started it, at first it sounded as if it missed and the 2nd try started up (could it be air in the system from when I swapped the filter over?), lets hope it starts tomorrow morning, fingers crossed....this is the test now :( urgh the suspense....

Urgh.........didn't work......still takes forever to start.....I am without words today

Some info, took the cover under the car off, put key in ignition, listen to fuel pump...lol sounds like a couple of rats running around in the tank, pump splurts doesn't go zzzzzzzzz, then if I start it a couple of times and then do the same thing of switching on etc then only does the pump sounds sollid like zzzzzzzz if you understand what I mean, could this be the sound of a failing pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom