A200 Turbo Oil Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

londoner2001

Just had a message appear on my car that engine oil low needs change. The service and maintenance contract is up so wondering if this is something I can do myself or is it one for the garage?

Just had a message appear on my car that engine oil low needs change. The service and maintenance contract is up so wondering if this is something I can do myself or is it one for the garage?

It either says "Service" or it says "Engine Oil Low".....if low, then follow the procedure to top it back up. Not sure if yours has the electronic dip-stick or not, but our B tells you to add 0.5l etc.

If it's Service then sure you can do it yourself, not sure if you can re-set the light though, and it's not that expensive at the main dealers (vehicle age dependent ofc).

Cheers,
Dan.

If its the 'service' message, then yes - most people can happily do it themselves, simply make a note of what you done and keep reciepts.

A basic service would be Oil, Oil Filter and Air filter (on a turbo you want to make sure the filters are clean and good quality aswell as the oil)

If your not comfortable doing it, its typically 1 - 1.5hrs labour - Parts (from ECP) would be circa 60quid for Bosch parts and the correct oil

Patrick

If its the 'service' message, then yes - most people can happily do it themselves, simply make a note of what you done and keep reciepts.

A basic service would be Oil, Oil Filter and Air filter (on a turbo you want to make sure the filters are clean and good quality aswell as the oil)

If your not comfortable doing it, its typically 1 - 1.5hrs labour - Parts (from ECP) would be circa 60quid for Bosch parts and the correct oil

Patrick

Actually depending on what the last service was a basic service could be as little as an oil/filter change, inspection and wash/vac ;-)

I know my wife's B has recently had an "A" service which was nothing more than an oil change, check over, a few other bits n bobbins, fill up the screenwash, check and top up all the fluids and return it shiny....

D.

Air Filter is a 15 minute job, costing less than 20quid - it protects the air flow to the engine - I would suggest checking / changing each service :)

Patrick

It does worry me a little when people service their own cars. Doing the oil and filter etc is fairly basic stuff but checking the car over to see if anything needs attention takes some expertise. Does the home diy mechanic know how to check suspension items properly?

We had a car in recently that had been "home serviced" and it hadn't seen a garage for years. It was falling to bits underneath because of lack of maintenance. The guy knew the MOT tester personally too so I think the MOT's were done blind. The car was very unsafe. The brake line corrosion was horrific. Snapped springs etc etc.

I'm not just saying this because I own a garage either as I am a big believer in people having a go at DIY. Just be careful, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom