A207 E350 convertible change from 19” to 18”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oaktree11

Car
E320 W11 estate and 2015 E350 convertible, A207
Hi all,

I know that this is a bit unusual but I actually want to reduce the size of my rims! Currently the car has the 6 spoke MB 19” wheels with 235/35 tyres on the front and 255/30 on the rear. I would like to drop down to 18”.

I am an old man now ( well it feels like it!) and am looking to soften the ride a little. I love the car and would invest in new wheels - presumably I can sell the old ones.

Any advice as to the wisdom of this move is welcome, also what tyre combination to go for.

Thanks, John

Ok, so assume the car is different to the one in your profile? What year A207 is it you have?

Changing rim size on the E350 (assuming 2011-2017 model) down to 18's is not an issue as it is a standard rim size for the car. You will of course need to inform your insurer that you have changed it from the spec it came from the factory, but unlikely to cause any issues.

You could get a set of the OEM 18's which would be the ones from the Sport model (AMG moniker) which would be a straight swap, and then sell your old ones. You may even find someone wanting to swap.

Standard tyre sizes for these staggered rims are 235/40/18 and 255/35/18.

Ok, so assume the car is different to the one in your profile? What year A207 is it you have?

Changing rim size on the E350 (assuming 2011-2017 model) down to 18's is not an issue as it is a standard rim size for the car. You will of course need to inform your insurer that you have changed it from the spec it came from the factory, but unlikely to cause any issues.

You could get a set of the OEM 18's which would be the ones from the Sport model (AMG moniker) which would be a straight swap, and then sell your old ones. You may even find someone wanting to swap.

Standard tyre sizes for these staggered rims are 235/40/18 and 255/35/18.

Thanks so much for the reply so quickly. I have updated my profile, I forgot to add the 350 which is 2015.

That info is exactly what I need. I love the look of the 19” wheels but they are a bit harsh over rough surfaces.

John

Hi. I have a C207 E500 Sport (2010) that rides on 18s (factory standard) rides OK on them. A little firm but would not want to go any larger.

Whilst I agree that 19's can be too large / harsh (were when I test drove one them - I am on 18's) before you spend, have you looked at the pressures you are running the tyres at and the tyres that you are using - you may be able to soften the ride enough by reducing pressures or, if tyres are due a change reading up in more compliant tyres.

I would swap to 18's, but just in case you hadn't considered those two options....

Whilst I agree that 19's can be too large / harsh (were when I test drove one them - I am on 18's) before you spend, have you looked at the pressures you are running the tyres at and the tyres that you are using - you may be able to soften the ride enough by reducing pressures or, if tyres are due a change reading up in more compliant tyres.

I would swap to 18's, but just in case you hadn't considered those two options....
Hmmm. That’s a good point. I will investigate. It’s nearly time for new tyres which is why I am considering this now. One of the front wheels has kerb rash which is totally down to me but I had not realised that with tyres this low profile even a low kerb will take out the rim. I am going to get the wheel reworked.
Thanks for the help.
John

Tyre pressures are definitely worth looking at as they often get over filled by quite a bit.

I certainly wouldn’t drop pressures on 19s. You’re asking to buckle and crack the wheels....

I run Dunlop Sportmaxx on my 19's, find they are very quiet, and get good mileage and grip, run them at the pressures given inside the fuel flap, and adjust for longer loaded trips, that said, I did crack a front rim earlier this year, hey ho! :rolleyes:

I certainly wouldn’t drop pressures on 19s. You’re asking to buckle and crack the wheels....
Depends what they are currently at. Could be way over recommended.

Hmmm. That’s a good point. I will investigate. It’s nearly time for new tyres which is why I am considering this now. One of the front wheels has kerb rash which is totally down to me but I had not realised that with tyres this low profile even a low kerb will take out the rim. I am going to get the wheel reworked.
Thanks for the help.
John

Hi all, and thank you all so much for the replies and help. I have found a company called “First Aid Wheels” in W Hampstead who will exchange my wheels (kerb rash and all) for a refurbed genuine Merc set of 18” ones. The price is not much more than getting mine refurbed.

Anyone know them? I am tempted to get this done. If I do, I would welcome any comments on tyre choice. I do like the look of the Dunlop Sportmaxx.

John

Just another thought, are there ANY high performance tyres that offer more protection to the rims? I am being a lot more careful these days but you never know!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom