A207 E500 2010 - Soft Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JayB

Car
A207 2010 E500 Convertible
Dear MBClub members,

Newbie member here, looking for any available advice on a suspension issue I've got with my 2010 E500 Convertible (A207). I find the suspension in Sport mode a little too hard for general driving, and the gear kick downs a little too racey for relaxed cruising. But in Normal mode, the suspension feels pretty floaty and soft. I realise this isn't a sports car, but it does feel out of sorts. The car's only done 34k miles and is serviced annually by MB who haven't ever commented on damper leaks on the visual inspections. Are they all like this? Is there a way of controlling this a little? (I'm really looking to avoid fitting a rock solid after market solution that ruins the feel of the car). Other than that, the car is great and the exhaust note is pretty impressive under load :)

I hope someone in MB world might have a suggestion?

Many thanks,
John.

Which model do you have,
What tyre size do you have on there,
Are the tyres at normal recommended pressure
How old are the tyres? (See four digit date code on the tyre walls)
Are the tyre treads “near new” or well used (4mm)

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions:

The model is an 2010 E500 Convertible 5.5l petrol convertible (code A207).
Tyre sizes are 235 / 40 R 18 (Front) and 255 / 35 R 18 (Rear).
The tyres are slightly above normal pressure (for two people). Recommended F33/R35. I've got them at F34/R37 but might go up a bit. Max for 4 people is F38/R38, so there's room to go.
Thanks for asking, I've just realised the fronts are from 2013! (1613) and rears I have changed in 2018 (4118). Might be part of the problem? I've switched to Goodyear on the back but looking at the wear difference, might not do that again.
Front tread is between 3.0 to 3.6 and rears 4.0 to 5.0.

Best regards,
John.

Hi Mike,

Reading further, the front tyres are spot on with a load rating of 91, as per the manual. The rears though are correct at 94, but not Extra Load as the manual suggests. Could be my fault, I had these replaced in 2018 and hadn't spotted that. Could that be a factor? Kind of odd as I'd imagine the weight would be the engine at the front, not the empty boot and normally empty rear seats!?

John.

Aha. Another E500 A207 owner. 😁. I have Pirelli Pzeros on mine, 18”. Mine has 57k miles now. I tend to drive mostly in non-Sport mode but occasionally press the button. 😮

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay in replying.
On "model" I was wondering whether this is the "softer" Avantgarde or the Sport?

"18's" with that size / spec are the normal choice. Are the tyres on the front XL's ?
Those 7 1/2 year old front tyres "might" be a bit too pliable. Due for replacement in 2021but not screaming.
You could experiment with lifting the pressures a bit - much depends on personal taste.

You could switch to 19's to firm the car up, but then you would pay the price in making the Sport setting even more "hard." I'd be reluctant to go through that expense without being absolutely certain that I wanted a harder ride.

In general, if the manual is specifying XL tyres, you should be running XL's as they're designed to be firmer and manage the extra weight of the car better.

Conclusions?
Experiment by lifting the pressures to the top of the range.
Update to new XL tyres if that is what's specified for the E500.
Don't switch to 19's unless you're absolutely sure that you want a harder ride.

(Personally I'd rock up to a dealer with a same spec car and take a test drive as a comparator. But that's me.)

Hope this helps: other A207 owners may pipe up in a bit.

Thank you Mike,
Very kind of you to take the time and reply. I've certainly learned more about tyres since I asked the question and am hoping it's just this that's the source of the awkward ride at times. Will definitely ramp the PSI up and see what that does and might change all tyres early next year and make sure I get the right ones this time!! The front's are not XL's and the manual doesn't specify it either, which I still find surprising considering the lump that's hiding under the bonnet. I might be tempted to get XL on the front too.
I had no idea there were Avantgarde or Sport options on my model, but nothing is specified.

I'm assuming DoubleE500mike that you've got the correct tyre setup? Keen to know what tyre pressures you're running with.

Thanks you chaps!

Should have asked this earlier: what were you driving before the the E500 ?

I had a BMW 330 M Sport with 19" wheels and initially run-flat tyres! It was like a go kart and the novelty quickly wore off!

A man to my own heart. I had a 335i coupe on 19s with Birds Bilsteins & Quaife but it had to go because of the tram lining. My runabout is an ultra low mileage 330i SE touring on normal tyres - a far more genteel proposition for pootling around the Burbs. (Don't tell anyone on here...)

Any Mercedes will be softer than your 330i M Sport on 19's. The challenge now is working out how "hard" you want to be. Given that you've come from an MSport on 19s, it might make sense to go to 19s on the E500, after you tried the other tweaks. It will still be softer than your 330 Sport.

(This example is a member's car)

33909919264_5c4ab8f44b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Look fab with those wheels. Will try your kindly offered recommendations with tyres/pressures and see where that leaves me. I definitely want to stop short of the early days with the 330. The runflats made the ride super harsh, and cost twice as much as normal tyres! Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

@JayB
sorry for delay in replying....not been logged in for a while with work.
On my E500 A207.... which I presume is standard, I have...
On the front I have Pirelli Pzero 18” (235/40) 95Y with extra load written on the side.
On the rear, 18” (255/35) 94Y with extra load text.
Pressures - I just use the ones indicated on the fuel flap.

Thank you DoubleE500mike, I'm assuming with that tyre setup that your car has a supple/not harsh ride but stays pretty much in control (normal driving I mean :) ). If so, this sounds like the way to go.

A man to my own heart. I had a 335i coupe on 19s with Birds Bilsteins & Quaife but it had to go because of the tram lining. My runabout is an ultra low mileage 330i SE touring on normal tyres - a far more genteel proposition for pootling around the Burbs. (Don't tell anyone on here...)

Any Mercedes will be softer than your 330i M Sport on 19's. The challenge now is working out how "hard" you want to be. Given that you've come from an MSport on 19s, it might make sense to go to 19s on the E500, after you tried the other tweaks. It will still be softer than your 330 Sport.

(This example is a member's car)

33909919264_5c4ab8f44b_z.jpg
That's my E500 with the 19's on ...

I run the 19" wheels from Mid Oct to Mid March - 235 / 40 R 19 (Front) and 255 / 35 R 19 (Rear).

and then

50681955526_50faae2ff8_b.jpg

I run 18" wheels from Mid Oct to Mid March - ContiWinterContact's 235 / 40 R 18 (Front) and 255 / 35 R 18 (Rear).

The ride is noticeably softer on the 18s even with the harder Winter tyres on. Steering is not quite so sharp in comfort mode but good in Sport mode.

The 19”s are a much harder ride and slightly better on steering ‘feel’.

I can't remember what the pressures are ( and the car is currently under a cover in storage so I can't check) but the 18's are some in the mid 30's psi but the 19's are in the high 40's !

The 19's look better on the car but they are very easy to curb.

Thank you DoubleE500mike, I'm assuming with that tyre setup that your car has a supple/not harsh ride but stays pretty much in control (normal driving I mean :) ). If so, this sounds like the way to go.
I’ve never tried 19” wheels on either of my E500’s so it’s difficult for me to compare and comment. I wouldn’t like a harsh ride I suspect....as I’m getting older! If you put 19” on ..... you could always inflate the seat more with the controls near the centre arm rest 🤣 for a little extra bounce. Would be curious what 17” were like too!

Would be curious what 17” were like too!

I run 17"s on my E2220d in the winter months - just a blissful ride compared to the standard 19"s !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom