A207 Water Feature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewOl

Car
E350 A207
I recently modified the jacking points in the sill to let all the rainwater out that gets trapped in the sills. Sure enough there was a fair bit of water in there and I can see that water drains out from my newly modified jacking points after it has been raining. I was getting new rear tyres fitted today so the back of the car was jacked up high, both sides. All the time it was up there water was coming out of the rear jacking points. These are pretty much right at the back of the sills so I’m a bit mystified as to where the water was coming from. I would say over a litre came out of the passengers side. Any ideas?

I recently modified the jacking points in the sill to let all the rainwater out that gets trapped in the sills. Sure enough there was a fair bit of water in there and I can see that water drains out from my newly modified jacking points after it has been raining. I was getting new rear tyres fitted today so the back of the car was jacked up high, both sides. All the time it was up there water was coming out of the rear jacking points. These are pretty much right at the back of the sills so I’m a bit mystified as to where the water was coming from. I would say over a litre came out of the passengers side. Any ideas?

I have the same problem with mine, I have removed the large plastic screws at both rear jack points, and like you lots of water flowed out. What mod did you do to the fronts, I saw something about removing screws behind the plastic cover, but no screws to be found. I assume that the water gets in through the window seals.

Hi, I couldn’t find any screws or plugs that went through the sills other than the actual jacking point so I just drilled through the central plastic retaining plug and trimmed down the inside of the tabs to make sure only minimal water collects in the sill. What I thought was odd was that the water was coming from the rear of the chassis as it was jacked up at the back. Couldn’t work out where it was collecting.

I have the same problem, would it be wise to drill some extra holes along the plastic sill ?

Not sure that is going to help as the water is trapped within the steel sill. I don’t thing the plastic trim and underbody trays are really sealed to anything so any water being held up will come out during normal car movements. The water in the sills seems to get trapped with quite a few litres in there. Certainly was in my 2010 car, you could hear it sloshing around. That has stopped since drilling drain holes through the plastic jacking points.

I know it’s been a few months, but did you ever get to the bottom of the water in the sills issue? I noticed it on mine today, the car was parked with the drivers side wheels up on the kerb and a good few litres of water came from the raised drivers side and nothing out the passenger side which was the lowest point of the car,which you would expect it to come from. I will check if that side is blocked, but it was interesting when you said the rear of the car was raised and water came from the rear, when you would expect the exact opposite.

As I have drilled a hole in each jacking point the water continues to drain out. No more sloshing noises when driving so I’m guessing no significant amount ever builds up inside. I park it nose down at work and I notice water patches under the rear jacking points most days when I go home.

I went through the center of the large plastic screw/plug that holds the jacking point in. If you take one out you will see how they work, it acts like an expanding bolt to hold the pad in, bit like a big trim plug.

Left the screws slightly undone overnight and it seems to have drained through. Are there other drain holes for this area? Seems a bit of a stupid design flaw of there isn't?

Spoke to respected indie when I got it and heard the sloshing. They said there are drain holes but the water doesn’t get to them. They drill out the plugs in the jacking point. It is not a leak anywhere it is just that the rainwater can’t escape. I’m sure there is some bizarre German logic behind it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom