A208 - Alternator noise, and replacement headunit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveLondon

Car
CLK430 Avantgarde Convertible, BMW 330ci Sport Coupe
Hi folks

I picked up a 2000-model A208 on the weekend, and the stereo (Audio 10 CD with Bose) is making a hell of a whining noise when the engine is on.
Experience suggests that this is probably a duff earth somewhere, so I was wondering if there were any usual suspects to check?
If it helps with the diagnosis, it did sound like the noise was more centred around the left hand side of the car - although that could just be my head.

Secondly, I'm going to whip out the single-DIN CD player (are they worth anything second-hand?) and put a more modern double-DIN. I know about the cabling adaptors, but do I need a double-DIN 'cage'? Or should the stereo come with one?

Thanks!

Anyone? Bit of a slow day on the forum...

most new D/Din systems will come with a universal cage

You will need to cut out the divider between the radio and the cubby hole too.

Thanks both. Not an insurmountable task, and I'm sure there's video on YouTube to make it look as easy as fun.

Anyone have any thoughts on my whining? (the stereo, not this thread...)
Think I might have a bash at the Bose amp earth point as a starter, and go from there. Am I right in assuming that the amp is LH side of the boot?

I remember years ago, car radios would get interference from the engine and ignition, so you'd have to fit a 'suppressor'.

Maybe that's the problem?:dk:

I remember years ago, car radios would get interference from the engine and ignition, so you'd have to fit a 'suppressor'.

Maybe that's the problem?:dk:
Cheers for the reply. That was actually due to poor earths for the headunits themselves, which is a problem long gone, thankfully.

Job done. Turns out it was a combination of dodgy aerial and dodgy amp earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom