A209 2008 CLK 280 Sport Service Items

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardgr88

Car
Mercedes CLK 280 Sport Cabrio
Hi all,

My car has done just over 10,000 miles since it's last service about 1 year and 3 months ago. The MOT is due in May and I'm wondering whether I should service it or not. It's on 61,000 now.

It drives well and regularly gives fuel economy in the late 20's and on a very long steady run maximum ever was 32.

I'm thinking of doing an oil, oil filter and air filter change myself. The filters I'm looking at are Mann ones from ECP, shouldn't see why they wouldn't be up to the job.

The oil I'm thinking of getting is the Mobil 1 New Life, hoping my good friend will let me get it from Costco next time we go. Should I use 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40? Seems a bit of a mine field. I looked at a previous service sheet and all it said was 5w so not much use there. I do about 40 miles on a working day. Generally a good driver, sometimes get a bit heavy with the right foot (who doesn't in a powerful Mercedes :)

Although the brakes work well the front discs are quite badly lipped and there isn't much in the pads at all so will most likely need for safe driving and the MOT if nothing else but will be refreshing the front discs and pads. Any recommendations? Have used Pagid before without any issues - is it worth getting Mercedes OEM at the premium cost? It has the sport pack so the 330mm discs are needed, awesome looking things :)

In summary
- To service or not to service?
- Mann filters, ok?
- Oil spec?
- Discs and pads recommendations.

Any input much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance

I would service it yes
Mann are very good
Oil spec = check your manual
Discs pads go for Mb oem, check prices with Mb dealers on ebay

Unless you want to pay the garage to service it for you, I'd also drop the oil and change the filters... I may even go as far as changing the plugs if I didn't know how long they'd been in.

Obviously you can't stamp your own log book if that kind of thing is important to you.

Thanks for the responses. Stamps aren't important to me, as long as the car has history when buying/selling showing the work that has taken place over it's life that's good enough for me.

Have had a look at the manual this morning and still none the wiser of the correct oil, just says as longs as it meets 229.3 or 229.5.

Will have to get ordering the bits :)

KZvKzlb.jpg

229.3 or 229.5 is all you need to know. Just make sure the chosen oil meets that spec. It will be a 0w30, 0W40, 5W30 or 5W40. If you want a list of which oils meet the specs look here MB 229.5 - Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

For a diy oil change consider using a Pela type vacuum extractor, it makes the job so much easier and cleaner.

Edit: For choice of viscosity, if the car sleeps outside in the winter use one of the 0W's if inside a warm garage 5W will be fine. As to 30 or 40, the 40 will increase your MPG by some infinitesimal amount but will provide better protection. If you are still undecided choose Shell Helix ultra 5W40, It's very high quality oil and very much at the thin end of the 40 band so almost a 30.

Last edited:
That's a useful link. - I will probably use one of the Fuchs blends; the Nissan seems to really like them... but "Pro R esther synthetic" doesn't show as meeting spec.

Fortunately "Super Syn" does, and that's what used to go in my Hyundai.

Last edited:
Super helpful, thanks very much.

I was looking at the Shell Helix as saw that recommended somewhere. Maybe a 0w 40 then as lives outside.

I was tempted by one of those pumps as a friend has an SLK we were going to use it on too.

So I finally got around to doing the service yesterday. Oil changed, oil filter and air filters.

Used Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 in the end. Looks like it was needed judging by the colour of what came out. Last oil change was just over a year ago about 11k miles ago. Even reset the service interval.

The pump was very good, a Sealey TP 696 5.5L, stopped half way and decanted into some old water bottles. The pump idea was a very good recommendation. Ran the car for about a mile to get things mixed up and a little warm first, not too warm mind.

See piccies below :)

yayld5w.jpg

ao88Vhd.jpg

aSr77iy.jpg

0XPEiRv.jpg

Used Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 in the end.

It always makes me happy when I see a car getting some quality attention :thumb: The Mobil 1 is very good stuff, so are Motul, Castrol and Fuchs - you'll be perfectly fine with any of these for your next service. I'd stay with 0w40. As for filters - Hengst, Mahle/Knecht and the Mann you used are the best.

I don't know which company manufactures the MB 209 discs and pads, but I'd probably go for ATE or some of the other top brands all the way around the car. Right now I use ATE pads on the factory discs - they are super soft and quiet.

However - brake fluid I'd only buy from MB. There's much work going on - ABS, ESP, BAS, rust prevention, etc - I want fluid that's passed Benz's quality assurance process and has their seal of approval.

Last oil change was just over a year ago about 11k miles ago.

That's just about right - the manual should call for a service at a certain mileage (10k miles is my personal limit) or once a year, whichever comes first. Don't forget to go through the other inspection points listed in your booklet. You don't want to be the guy with the stuck trunk lock who's blaming MB :D

It always makes me happy when I see a car getting some quality attention :thumb: The Mobil 1 is very good stuff, so are Motul, Castrol and Fuchs - you'll be perfectly fine with any of these for your next service. I'd stay with 0w40. As for filters - Hengst, Mahle/Knecht and the Mann you used are the best.

I don't know which company manufactures the MB 209 discs and pads, but I'd probably go for ATE or some of the other top brands all the way around the car. Right now I use ATE pads on the factory discs - they are super soft and quiet.

However - brake fluid I'd only buy from MB. There's much work going on - ABS, ESP, BAS, rust prevention, etc - I want fluid that's passed Benz's quality assurance process and has their seal of approval.

That's just about right - the manual should call for a service at a certain mileage (10k miles is my personal limit) or once a year, whichever comes first. Don't forget to go through the other inspection points listed in your booklet. You don't want to be the guy with the stuck trunk lock who's blaming MB :D

I stupidly had my Brake Fluid changed at Halfords as they were the only place open on Sunday :fail

Thanks for the comments :) I have greased all of the relevant points with some white lithium grease along with when I greased the soft top components.

Car felt like it was running silky smooth this morning which is good :)

Will keep that in mind when it comes to the brake fluid, discs and pads.

:)

Exactly how I do mine :) - I even use the same pump.
The oil filter looks a faff to access but in reality is super easy.

I do mine every year now (in October) which these days is around 5,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom