A209 CLK 2005 - Convertible Roof noise clunk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grotbag1

Car
2015 C200 Estate Sport Premium Plus AND 2005 CLK 200K Convertible Avantgarde
Hi all
Can I ask some advise. I have had my CLK for about 4 weeks and have used it with the top down this weekend for the first time.
The roof goes up and down without any problems but it does make a few noises. Can someone please tell me if the following is normal.

ROOF GOING DOWN
The final part of the system is the metal cover coming back down and some flaps going in. There is a 'clunk' when it locks in place.

ROOF GOING UP
When the rear window locks in place it clunks.

Are these normal for a 2005 model?
Is it just making sure that the roof is rigid when closed?
Am I being paranoid?

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard.
I is worth lubricating everything to do with the hood.
I have found that the grease on some of the components dries out - especially things like the protruding locating pegs on the metal tonneau - this eventually caused mine to jam.
A clean up with wd40 and some white grease on the locating conponents and silicone spray on any hinges and I haven't had another problem and the clunks have gone.

Thanks Ted, If I use WD40 and open the roof partway and spray, can I do any damage if it get in the wrong bits?

All i can say is I didn't!
Be careful with the roof part open - even with power off, after a while it will beep at you and slide gracefully into its
compartment.
Make sure you clean and lubricate everything that moves - including the chrome latches and the spigots that run into them.
There are also two adjustable plastic spring loades 'tongues' on the tonneau. Apparently these can also cause a clunk. I lubricated mine but didn't adjust them.

My 2013 E Class opens and closes with a clunk. When I first heard it I was surprised but I took it back to the dealer and had it lubricated. They assured me it was normal.

Different car , I know , but on my SL when the lid closes over the hood compartment it does so with a clunk ; also when the hood engages/disengages from the locks at the front and back there can be a bit of noise , which does not strike me as anything to worry about .

There are clunks and there are CLUNKS. Mine 'evolved' into quite a noticeable clunk before it stuck.
I think that it is leas the joints, but the parts that locate as the roof opens and closes.
The grease had certainly hardened and got sticky.

My friend has a 2007 model. His makes the same noise when closing but is completely clunk free when the roof opens. Would both cars have exactly the same mechanism? We noticed that his did not give an open or close notification on the dashboard display.

Clk 280 2007. Seriously loud clunk. Thanks to advice on this forum wd40 applied to the rear hinges of the hood compartment lid sorted problem entirely. Worth checking to make sure hinges aren’t broken.

Reactions: Ted
Hmmmm. Time to get out my trusty WD40 me thinks. o_O

Just been listening to ‘serious jockin’ ( no G ) on Radio 2 .

This thread seems to be ‘serious clunkin’ :D

Maybe post a video of it, and people can comment on whether they think it's a normal "clunk" or an abnormal "CLUNK"?

I had a 2006 A209 and it used to "clunk" on opening when the rear shelf locks in place and also on closing the roof when the rear window pushes the rear shelf back in place.

This is the same Clunking noise i experience on the C200 cabriolet I have now. All part of the normal operation of the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom