A209 CLK (2008) Rear Bumper Chrome Trim removal/fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidt

Car
CLK A209 Sport + SL R129 320
Having just taken my CLK A209 200 Sport with AMG body kit out for the first time since buying it... and I have suffered at the dread of thoughtless people in a public car parks. Despite parking far away and with only one side exposed, someone reversed into the back of my car and left without leaving their details. This has damaged the rear N/S bumper and the inset chrome trim. Despite searching everywhere on the Internet, I have not discovered how to remove the chrome trim from the bumper. I have ordered the new trim, so I am hoping that someone here knows, and can explain, how I remove the existing trim and fit the new. Please, please don't say I have to remove the entire rear bumper assembly!!
Many thanks for any help
Dr T

No, the chrome trim clips into the bumper with several small projections.

When you get the replacement you will see how the clips work. Plastic trim removal tools or a carefully wielded small scraper should lever the trim from the bumper.

Its all plastic so not really a job for when the bits are icy cold.

When you get the replacement you will see how the clips work. Plastic trim removal tools or a carefully wielded small scraper should lever the trim from the bumper.

Hi Codger 49,

Thank you very much for your post. Much appreciated and I look forward to removing the damaged part and replacing it. I have ordered some plastic trim removal tools from Amazon so hopefully these will help protect the paintwork.

Thanks again
KR
Dr T

Attachments

• Front NS.jpg
    Front NS.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 4

Can almost guarantee plastic trim will break when cold, new or old.

Can almost guarantee plastic trim will break when cold, new or old.
Hi Slade1
Thank you for the tip. I have a garage but will use a hair dryer first to warm the plastic trim thoroughly before attempting to remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom