A303 Willoughby Hedge to Mere Carriageway Renewal and Major Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just returned from West Somerset via M5 / M4. etc.
Original scenic route via A303 aborted and used the A30 instead. Total trip time including a lunch stop of appx. 1 hour was just over 7 Hours.

Return time including stops was just under 5 hours. Nightmare avoided.
Salisbury was a disaster for some reason.

Salisbury is always a disaster! The diversion takes people past our estate at work so good chance for advertising :)

Kate

What a well balanced forum this is. We have complaints about the poor state of the roads balanced by complaints about efforts to repair and improve them.;)

What a well balanced forum this is. We have complaints about the poor state of the roads balanced by complaints about efforts to repair and improve them.;)

Seems we get bitten both ways. They let the roads go to ruin and then close them completely.

It does seem to me that the number of road closures has increased greatly over the years. Moreover the coordination of roadworks and closures is setup and skilfully coordinated for maximum impact in attempt to thoroughly thwart those who try and take alternative routes.:wallbash:

Without knowing the circumstances (the A303 situation sounds like it';s major) it does seem on occasion that the extent to which roads are closed is done on a whim (or with malice!).

I think this diversion is something like 35 miles versus the stretch being repaired of a couple. Knowing that part of the world well, there just aren't any good diversion routes. I shall definitely avoid the A303 for some time then, although I haven't been keen on using it since I picked up my first SP30 in 16 years last October - the single to dual carriageway and back again stretches are just too short sometimes.

Yeah A36 & A361 are fine esp as most people are using sat nav to find quicker short cuts & upsetting farmers :) Were some roadworks at Doulting (just outside Shepton Mallet) but nothing too major. Customers haven't complained about it yet! (work is in Shepton)

Kate

Not just me getting annoyed!

BBC - A303 diversions causing 'chaos' due to 'poor road signs'

I was travelling Eastbound and the diversion signs are less than clear in places but main problem was indeed heavy vehicles. In the end bailed out of signed diversions and went cross country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom