A35 AMG RATTLE!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never owned an Audi, but I did drive an S3 which my wife was contemplating on getting about 10 years ago, and it felt like the steering wheel was connected to a series of pulleys, and the interior wasn't great, but it was a long time ago, so maybe they've changed a lot.
Personally I've never like BMW's, all the ones I've been in as a passenger have bland looking interiors

Each to their own and all that.

Yeah, comparing a 10 year old Audi to a modern one is not a fair comparison.

Although Mercedes have obviously slipped down the prestige ladder over the years to now be in amongst the other German manufacturers, these rattles, creaks and other faults could turn out to be “common faults” in the A-Class please don’t try and make out VAG and BMW are shining beacons of engineering - there is a tendency amongst online commentators to think that because their personal car has faults, the full range of cars are no good.

Few personal examples - my sister bought a brand new Golf R just over a year ago and it has spent about four months of that time at the dealers sorting annoying electrical faults alongside a recurring problem with the pano roof...

One of my business partners collected his brand new Q7 50 TDI five days ago and it went back in yesterday after completely shutting off on the motorway while he was in the outside lane, they’ll also be fixing the pano roof that’s started rattling already...

I got two of my salesmen brand new 520d’s towards the back end of last year - they’re both in the process of being rejected due to multiple faults (one which caused an accident)...

So, it’s not just Mercedes...and it wouldn’t ever stop me buying a car I liked (I’ve owned a Maserati Quattroporte! :confused:) but it’s just worth applying a bit of pragmatism to cars in my opinion...

Although Mercedes have obviously slipped down the prestige ladder over the years to now be in amongst the other German manufacturers, these rattles, creaks and other faults could turn out to be “common faults” in the A-Class please don’t try and make out VAG and BMW are shining beacons of engineering - there is a tendency amongst online commentators to think that because their personal car has faults, the full range of cars are no good.

Few personal examples - my sister bought a brand new Golf R just over a year ago and it has spent about four months of that time at the dealers sorting annoying electrical faults alongside a recurring problem with the pano roof...

One of my business partners collected his brand new Q7 50 TDI five days ago and it went back in yesterday after completely shutting off on the motorway while he was in the outside lane, they’ll also be fixing the pano roof that’s started rattling already...

I got two of my salesmen brand new 520d’s towards the back end of last year - they’re both in the process of being rejected due to multiple faults (one which caused an accident)...

So, it’s not just Mercedes...and it wouldn’t ever stop me buying a car I liked (I’ve owned a Maserati Quattroporte! :confused:) but it’s just worth applying a bit of pragmatism to cars in my opinion...
A friend of my wife had a new Maserati. It spent more time at the dealership than it did on her drive...

I am just providing my experience, which to be honest is very similar to a number of other A35 owners. This is a pretty new model so in real terms there are not many on the road, however the number of faults appearing along with build quality issues in my opinion is not normal.

I don't believe BMW or Audi are without their faults, I have owned 5 BMWs and 3 Audi's sure one or two of them had minor faults early on during my ownership but these were quickly fixed by the dealer.

None had issues were the dealer actually advised rejecting the car as in their words "it will never be right". During the period in which they tried to fix the problems with my car I was loan a brand new C class convertible, it had similar build quality issues so its not a problem with the A class alone.

I am just providing my experience, which to be honest is very similar to a number of other A35 owners. This is a pretty new model so in real terms there are not many on the road, however the number of faults appearing along with build quality issues in my opinion is not normal.
I’m not trying to take away from your problems with the car - it looks as though there’s a few others with similar experiences - it’s just having been on this forum for a few years now I’ve seen enough people rip into different car manufacturers because *they’ve* had a bad experience and think the whole brand is junk and it just isn't true, as I stated in my earlier example there are always issues and even more so with a “new model”.

I’m not trying to take away from your problems with the car - it looks as though there’s a few others with similar experiences - it’s just having been on this forum for a few years now I’ve seen enough people rip into different car manufacturers because *they’ve* had a bad experience and think the whole brand is junk and it just isn't true, as I stated in my earlier example there are always issues and even more so with a “new model”.
Yes no manufacture are with out their faults,I got a new civic type R some years ago,Honda renowned for making some of the best gearboxes, well mine didn’t make it the 9 miles home before 3/4 gears were crunching :( do a search for the Fn2 model gearbox faults and there were hundreds, I rejected the car had to wait 6 months for another car with the modification applied on the production line, and before that was 2 years old 3/4 gears were crunching so it had to go :doh:

I understood BMWs had plain interior/fascias etc to encourage the driver to concentrate more on the road and other vehicles around them.

I understood BMWs had plain interior/fascias etc to encourage the driver to concentrate more on the road and other vehicles around them.
Pass, but might make sense, because they're as dull as dish water inside, and that goes for every one I've been in, even a recent quite new M5.
The owner even said my E63 was far nicer inside

I will speak to the dealer when I return mine this friday. If like you say they will replace the car for something of the same price that should be fine as long as it doesnt take years to sort out.

I will speak to the dealer when I return mine this friday. If like you say they will replace the car for something of the same price that should be fine as long as it doesnt take years to sort out.
Be careful how you word your letter, when I rejected type R a few years a go I said I wanted new car same spec etc but with modified gearbox done on production line and not my old car repaired, they agreed and I had to wait from May to September for new car, after a few months of waiting when I was fed up with the situation,I asked to be put back in the position I was in to start with so I could get something else, but was locked in to the deal and they couldn’t give me any new type R knowing it may still have a fault.

According to the email I received it can take anything between 15 days to 8 weeks to complete their investigation and come back to you with an answer, I have no idea if this involves further investigations of the problems with the dealership etc.

Do they give a courtesy car in that time? The car is making new rattles now... I will put stickers on all areas where the rattles are coming from as some rattles are drowning out other rattles :( its a nightmare

I have no idea, I am too early into this process. If they have to take the car back for investigations I would expect I will receive a loan car the same as if the car was in for a service. If the rejection goes ahead I have no idea how that will work

Update! Got the car back saturday drove to work today and the rattle is still there. Calling mercedes today and going to go through the process of returning that car. They have had 3 goes and trying to resolve it. This last time I gave it back I even put sticky notes with where the rattles where coming from as well as how to replicate the rattle...

Really not happy..

:/

Having had some experience with rejection of a car previously, A few words of caution.

First off, if its that bad, stop driving it!!!

If the car is on lease or finance, you need to write to the finance company, as you don't actually have a contract of purchase with Mercedes or any other dealer, not at least until all monies due under the agreement are paid. Its the finance companies car. In the case of operating lease with no ownership option, especially one from the manufacturer (MB, VAG financial etc) rejection is usually not possible, and even in the exception can be a very difficult and legally expensive process. They are (leasing company) obliged to keep you mobile whilst repairs are carried out, as you are keeping your side of the agreement in ensuring the car is adequately maintained by a suitable approved agent.

Get legal representation and stop driving the car immediately is the only way to proceed. Its highly unlikely you will get a loan car if you start down this path, as this rejection process is considered a 'contractual remedy' and outside the remit of the manufacturers liability, more so if you have a lease or PCP deal. Of course, returning the car to the finance company is a lot harder than dropping it to the dealer. Undoubtedly, this will harm your credit if you don't maintain payments for the vehicle, however once the rejection goes ahead you can recover all monies and reasonable expenses from the lender. As stated at the start, its not for the faint hearted and proper legal advice is needed and above all, an independent assessor should inspect the car and produce a report. This will not be a cheap process. Living with a few rattles or forking over at least a few grand is the first thing you should seriously consider.

Whilst the A35 issues may have owners pulling their hair out, Caveat emptor is still the prevalent legal stand point, the buyer has to ensure the vehicle is suitable and continuing to drive it forms that you accept the vehicle continues to meet your needs.

Sorry to be a debbie downer on the issue, but forewarned is forearmed and all!

Update! Got the car back saturday drove to work today and the rattle is still there. Calling mercedes today and going to go through the process of returning that car. They have had 3 goes and trying to resolve it. This last time I gave it back I even put sticky notes with where the rattles where coming from as well as how to replicate the rattle...

Really not happy..

:/

I contacted MB Finance as the dealership advised me to with regards to the continuing rattles and creaks in mine, I have an independent assessor coming to look at mine tomorrow.

Having had some experience with rejection of a car previously, A few words of caution.

First off, if its that bad, stop driving it!!!

If the car is on lease or finance, you need to write to the finance company, as you don't actually have a contract of purchase with Mercedes or any other dealer, not at least until all monies due under the agreement are paid. Its the finance companies car. In the case of operating lease with no ownership option, especially one from the manufacturer (MB, VAG financial etc) rejection is usually not possible, and even in the exception can be a very difficult and legally expensive process. They are (leasing company) obliged to keep you mobile whilst repairs are carried out, as you are keeping your side of the agreement in ensuring the car is adequately maintained by a suitable approved agent.

Get legal representation and stop driving the car immediately is the only way to proceed. Its highly unlikely you will get a loan car if you start down this path, as this rejection process is considered a 'contractual remedy' and outside the remit of the manufacturers liability, more so if you have a lease or PCP deal. Of course, returning the car to the finance company is a lot harder than dropping it to the dealer. Undoubtedly, this will harm your credit if you don't maintain payments for the vehicle, however once the rejection goes ahead you can recover all monies and reasonable expenses from the lender. As stated at the start, its not for the faint hearted and proper legal advice is needed and above all, an independent assessor should inspect the car and produce a report. This will not be a cheap process. Living with a few rattles or forking over at least a few grand is the first thing you should seriously consider.

Whilst the A35 issues may have owners pulling their hair out, Caveat emptor is still the prevalent legal stand point, the buyer has to ensure the vehicle is suitable and continuing to drive it forms that you accept the vehicle continues to meet your needs.

Sorry to be a debbie downer on the issue, but forewarned is forearmed and all!

Thanks for giving me some more info on the process. Well if worst comes to worse ill have to just keep taking it back and getting given some fun cars :) so far had the c43 and e53 but i love the a35 its just these rattles that are totally ruining it for me :/ thanks again

Well mine was independently assessed today, and the assessor agreed with me in relation to the rattles and creaks.

His official report is still to filed with MB, which I expect to be within the next 24 to 48 hours.

I am now really curious to see how this progresses.

Well mine was independently assessed today, and the assessor agreed with me in relation to the rattles and creaks.

His official report is still to filed with MB, which I expect to be within the next 24 to 48 hours.

I am now really curious to see how this progresses.

Any luck with this Chris ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom