A35 AMG RATTLE!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, yea that is me on RMS.

As still waiting for my TCR did a Google search on recent TCR and the thread popped into view - Know you came from an S3 onto the now ill fated A35 AMG (which is shame as sure it will turn out to be a good choice once matured and into maybe facelift time) so be interested to see what think of the TCR and also why looked past the R and AWD for the TCR?

As still waiting for my TCR did a Google search on recent TCR and the thread popped into view - Know you came from an S3 onto the now ill fated A35 AMG (which is shame as sure it will turn out to be a good choice once matured and into maybe facelift time) so be interested to see what think of the TCR and also why looked past the R and AWD for the TCR?

To be honest I didn't even drive the R version, the main reason being I wanted something a bit more exclusive looking (I see about 10 Golf Rs a day).

I needed something to replace the A35 immediately, the reason being it was my only car therefore my only way to get about.

My criteria was something around 300bhp, high spec, modern interior, quality build.

I considered a new M135i and another S3, both were a 4 month order so ruled out. The other choice was an M2, in my budget I was looking at a 2018 car. I wanted one with very low mileage and high spec, these are rare and I only actually found one which was white (not even my 3rd colour choice in them) and in the end I knew I couldn't live with the dated looking interior.

I spotted the TCR at a local VW dealer, it was brand new and unregistered and I really liked the look of it. The only thing it didn't have that I would have liked was a pano roof. The dealer lent me their demo for 24 hours and I really liked it, the limited slip diff is very good and the car handles really well.

It is an excellent combination of a comfortable cruiser and sporty and fast when you want it to be, very much like my S3 was. I have only done 130 miles in it so it is early days, however so far I am impressed with the drive and the quality seems to be very good.

I will miss the A35, and I would consider another when the facelift comes out which would be just around the time the TCR will be due a change. One thing for certain is I will not buy it or any other MB from MB Belfast as they are without doubt the worst dealership I have dealt with in 20 years of buying cars.

To be honest I didn't even drive the R version, the main reason being I wanted something a bit more exclusive looking (I see about 10 Golf Rs a day).

I needed something to replace the A35 immediately, the reason being it was my only car therefore my only way to get about.

My criteria was something around 300bhp, high spec, modern interior, quality build.

I considered a new M135i and another S3, both were a 4 month order so ruled out. The other choice was an M2, in my budget I was looking at a 2018 car. I wanted one with very low mileage and high spec, these are rare and I only actually found one which was white (not even my 3rd colour choice in them) and in the end I knew I couldn't live with the dated looking interior.

I spotted the TCR at a local VW dealer, it was brand new and unregistered and I really liked the look of it. The only thing it didn't have that I would have liked was a pano roof. The dealer lent me their demo for 24 hours and I really liked it, the limited slip diff is very good and the car handles really well.

It is an excellent combination of a comfortable cruiser and sporty and fast when you want it to be, very much like my S3 was. I have only done 130 miles in it so it is early days, however so far I am impressed with the drive and the quality seems to be very good.

I will miss the A35, and I would consider another when the facelift comes out which would be just around the time the TCR will be due a change. One thing for certain is I will not buy it or any other MB from MB Belfast as they are without doubt the worst dealership I have dealt with in 20 years of buying cars.

I can see that, no car = immediate and available solution.

I came to selecting the TCR after looking hard at the A35 AMG (hence here) but deciding to stay with another Golf R at changeover to then have head turned by the TCR as it was newly released at the time.

Selected the TCR based purely on knowledge of the MK 7 and the hope that the lifts the TCR brings will bring for another pleasurable 3 years driving. The increase in BHP was the first win as did not want to lose the pace have come used to in the R

The soft pull was the heritage as always wanted a GTI and always passed it over for something else, and as you pointed out the likely rarity opposed to the many R you now see.

My present R is such a great car, with the DSG + DCC + Auto Hold its the consummate daily drive, taking all the effort out of the commute and crunching the long miles in perfect comfort (and economy, readily hit 40 MPG when at set speed)

Press a button and it all genuinely sharpens up and is universally accepted as have decent performance - some might have edgier performance but not many can do the daily drive so well.

Both my previous GTD (did many more miles when selected that) and the present R have never been in the garage for anything aside for a service and overall the MK 7 series has proven to be a solid and reliable outing with the MQB chassis proving to be a real winner over the previous chassis - Of course if you loved your S3 the R has much of the mechanics in a different wrapping and again much of the fundamentals in quality from being a 6 year model will carry into the TCR

Sometimes its nice to be an early adopter for the new tech and innovation but sometimes its nice to get into one of the run out models with the car at its matured best with a few added presents to sweeten the package more = TCR, the best GTI ever made to date

So with that as the basis the selection of the TCR was made and quite excited to get it. One of the regulars on the GTI forum took it out on an extensive drive on a filthy wet day last week and stated it was completely assured and given its on good rubber the getaway scrabble was not in anyway intrusive.

One on the move, rock solid with that amazing differential doing its best impression of its AWD sibling.

Having come from back to back Audi Quattro and the R, letting go of the AWD has been my only concern, everything else, the performance, reduced weight, style are all plus, and also for me there is some natural lifts from MK 7 to MK 7.5 as well to take in - My options were the reifnitz, climate screen and 90% tints - The panoramic roof is not something personally worry to, as like my climate controlled bubble (hay fever) and it does add weight when one of the appeals was to reduce weight

Another unexpected bonus for me was the MY20 changes where the TCR gets Akrapovich as standard and mine is a MY20 build :)

Had interest in yourself getting the TCR as know you were an AWD person given you had an S3 and bought a A35 AMG so was just interested to see what made you drop the AWD and thanks for responding and be interested to see how you get on with the TCR as put miles on it.

Last edited:
I've been following this post in the background and I have found it fascinating, thank you for sharing the journey!

I recently made the switch from a MK7 GTD which was fully loaded to a CLA250 Premium Plus. The Golf went in a couple of times initially for a couple of rattles which were sorted under warranty but apart from that in the 4 years I owned it, it just had general maintenance - nothing ever went wrong, it felt bullet proof - it was my second Golf in between I got given a company car so I had got rid of it then as soon as the company car went I bought myself the GTD. I've done approx 1.3k miles in this new CLA and it seems OK so far, no rattles - it is ALOT, ALOT better build quality than the previous generation (probably because it is no longer a basic A class underneath?), my only "problem" which isn't really a problem is the way it drives, in comfort or eco it isn't engaging at all and the gearbox isn't great compared to DSG, in sport it is pretty engaging.

Where is the A35 built? Is it in Germany? I know some of the lesser engined cars are made in Mexico but I thought all 2 litre engines were Merc engines and the cars were built in Germany?

I had the same experience, mine goes back tomorrow.
Mine is now booked in for 2 days in September to rectify the creaking windows, wind noise from the rear n/s quarter and adjustment of the rear hatch catch. The car is growing on me so I really hope they manage to sort out all the defects.

Mine is now booked in for 2 days in September to rectify the creaking windows, wind noise from the rear n/s quarter and adjustment of the rear hatch catch. The car is growing on me so I really hope they manage to sort out all the defects.

Hope its sorted to your satisfaction, I noticed today that mine is already up for sale again. There is no way they have fixed the problems with it, so they have clearly washed and stuck it on the forecourt hoping whoever buys it doesn't complain about it.

I can see that, no car = immediate and available solution.

I came to selecting the TCR after looking hard at the A35 AMG (hence here) but deciding to stay with another Golf R at changeover to then have head turned by the TCR as it was newly released at the time.

Selected the TCR based purely on knowledge of the MK 7 and the hope that the lifts the TCR brings will bring for another pleasurable 3 years driving. The increase in BHP was the first win as did not want to lose the pace have come used to in the R

The soft pull was the heritage as always wanted a GTI and always passed it over for something else, and as you pointed out the likely rarity opposed to the many R you now see.

My present R is such a great car, with the DSG + DCC + Auto Hold its the consummate daily drive, taking all the effort out of the commute and crunching the long miles in perfect comfort (and economy, readily hit 40 MPG when at set speed)

Press a button and it all genuinely sharpens up and is universally accepted as have decent performance - some might have edgier performance but not many can do the daily drive so well.

Both my previous GTD (did many more miles when selected that) and the present R have never been in the garage for anything aside for a service and overall the MK 7 series has proven to be a solid and reliable outing with the MQB chassis proving to be a real winner over the previous chassis - Of course if you loved your S3 the R has much of the mechanics in a different wrapping and again much of the fundamentals in quality from being a 6 year model will carry into the TCR

Sometimes its nice to be an early adopter for the new tech and innovation but sometimes its nice to get into one of the run out models with the car at its matured best with a few added presents to sweeten the package more = TCR, the best GTI ever made to date

So with that as the basis the selection of the TCR was made and quite excited to get it. One of the regulars on the GTI forum took it out on an extensive drive on a filthy wet day last week and stated it was completely assured and given its on good rubber the getaway scrabble was not in anyway intrusive.

One on the move, rock solid with that amazing differential doing its best impression of its AWD sibling.

Having come from back to back Audi Quattro and the R, letting go of the AWD has been my only concern, everything else, the performance, reduced weight, style are all plus, and also for me there is some natural lifts from MK 7 to MK 7.5 as well to take in - My options were the reifnitz, climate screen and 90% tints - The panoramic roof is not something personally worry to, as like my climate controlled bubble (hay fever) and it does add weight when one of the appeals was to reduce weight

Another unexpected bonus for me was the MY20 changes where the TCR gets Akrapovich as standard and mine is a MY20 build :)

Had interest in yourself getting the TCR as know you were an AWD person given you had an S3 and bought a A35 AMG so was just interested to see what made you drop the AWD and thanks for responding and be interested to see how you get on with the TCR as put miles on it.

I will be really interested to hear what you make of the Akrapovich, I could really be tempted if VW offer it as an upgrade to mine at some point.

I've been following this post in the background and I have found it fascinating, thank you for sharing the journey!

I recently made the switch from a MK7 GTD which was fully loaded to a CLA250 Premium Plus. The Golf went in a couple of times initially for a couple of rattles which were sorted under warranty but apart from that in the 4 years I owned it, it just had general maintenance - nothing ever went wrong, it felt bullet proof - it was my second Golf in between I got given a company car so I had got rid of it then as soon as the company car went I bought myself the GTD. I've done approx 1.3k miles in this new CLA and it seems OK so far, no rattles - it is ALOT, ALOT better build quality than the previous generation (probably because it is no longer a basic A class underneath?), my only "problem" which isn't really a problem is the way it drives, in comfort or eco it isn't engaging at all and the gearbox isn't great compared to DSG, in sport it is pretty engaging.

Where is the A35 built? Is it in Germany? I know some of the lesser engined cars are made in Mexico but I thought all 2 litre engines were Merc engines and the cars were built in Germany?

I understand the A35 is built in Europe, however I'm not sure if its Germany.

Most of the ones I see on the road seem to be driven by utter dickheads.

Most of the ones I see on the road seem to be driven by utter dickheads.

I promise to not take this personally ;)

To be honest I think there is an element in every brand as when my R gets seen by that someone who has a performance (and sometimes not) across all the marquee , it seems like an invitation to be a dickhead - so you might say that about R, but I seem to attract the same attention in my R and can point the same finger.

I will be really interested to hear what you make of the Akrapovich, I could really be tempted if VW offer it as an upgrade to mine at some point.

The Akrapovich was on the concept at Worthsee, and it was thought it would either be standard or an option like the R, it turned out to be neither and maybe that was to do with price point as at early release it would have been more expensive than the R and that may have hit sales - Imagine this is the final days for a TCR order and so they may think its an ok time to attract the remaining who will pay for an Akrapovich?

You would think that makes the Akrapovich available as a replacement option now and the question would be is it worth it?

Even though its down to the individual deal you secure, the £1500 extra for the TCR over the R would have likely had me put my sensible head on and just select the R as the AWD beats an exhaust.

However, it seems the Akrapovich is a freebie for me (nice to be on other side of getting rub of green for once :) )

The tips look great, it brings car to concept level and adds more rarity so just be interested to see if the sound matches the fuss - I be sure to let you know :)

I promise to not take this personally ;)

To be honest I think there is an element in every brand as when my R gets seen by that someone who has a performance (and sometimes not) across all the marquee , it seems like an invitation to be a dickhead - so you might say that about R, but I seem to attract the same attention in my R and can point the same finger.

I agree, all marques have some kind of problem, probably the sheer number of R's on the road(Where I live anyway) doesn't help.
Not all are driven like that, a couple friends of mine drive them, and they seem to be able to behave.

There are three cars in particular which I see on a daily basis in the area I live in.
Definitely all have dreadful exhaust mods which make them sound awful, but the bit that really drives me mad is all of them constantly accelerate wide open throttle, manually up through the gears, then they slow to come back down the gearbox making as much noise as possible.

I agree, all marques have some kind of problem, probably the sheer number of R's on the road(Where I live anyway) doesn't help.
Not all are driven like that, a couple friends of mine drive them, and they seem to be able to behave.

There are three cars in particular which I see on a daily basis in the area I live in.
Definitely all have dreadful exhaust mods which make them sound awful, but the bit that really drives me mad is all of them constantly accelerate wide open throttle, manually up through the gears, then they slow to come back down the gearbox making as much noise as possible.

Its likely you just have a few on your doorstop who have gone down the more dubious side of customising their cars - which is a shame for some of the extremely talented folk who do some amazing customisations as they inadvertently get tarred with same brush.

There is a particular Focus RS and a BMW (pretty sure its an M 2) that cannot be stock which run around locally imitating the driving style and the noises you mention, and they might think they sound good, but its intrusive and you cannot wait for them to pass and be gone.

However, when done properly its nice to have a decent tone from the exhaust, some nice deep tones and a little overrun works for me, a background track to when pushing on a bit more - In the R its completely switchable though, stick it in comfort and everything mutes and you cruise along on peace - cannot imagine having to live with a full on experience on the daily drive, would wear me out.

Glad MB have hit this segment, it was needed and though there appears to be some early teething issues I would look seriously again at the next changeover as think the next version will be the best one to get into with all the lessons learned and addressed.

Hope its sorted to your satisfaction, I noticed today that mine is already up for sale again. There is no way they have fixed the problems with it, so they have clearly washed and stuck it on the forecourt hoping whoever buys it doesn't complain about it.
Well mine went in for the creaking windows and rattles... and came back exactly the same.
My lease company are willing to approach Merc to reject the vehicle, trouble is getting me into a Golf R will cost me an extra £100 a month as far as I can tell as the prices have risen dramatically.
So I'll just suffer the noises for 29 more months and then never buy another Merc... well at least not without test driving it first.

Well mine went in for the creaking windows and rattles... and came back exactly the same.
My lease company are willing to approach Merc to reject the vehicle, trouble is getting me into a Golf R will cost me an extra £100 a month as far as I can tell as the prices have risen dramatically.
So I'll just suffer the noises for 29 more months and then never buy another Merc... well at least not without test driving it first.

That doesn't surprise me, my MB dealer refused to acknowledge it was an issue stating it was because the AMG had stiffer suspension so I should expect it. Crazy statement to make.

The dealer where I bought my TCR has some deals on Golf Rs at the moment, £5000 off with a £1500 deposit contribution. If you are serious about getting out of the Merc you should try them, they are VW Agnew in Mallusk.

My TCR is costing me £130 less per month than the A35 was, I had a similar deal offered, the only difference was the TCR only had £4000 discount.

I couldn't have lived with the creaking on the A35 for another 2.5 years.

Hi All,

Just got a A35 AMG (only 700 miles on it so far) Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with a rattling dash... Seems to come about at around 30-60 on ruff rounds.

Sounds like its coming from the dashboard main speaker (but who knows)

Anyone else had an issue with this?

Thanks
Hi there got a brand new Aclass 2021 and having this issue, when i enter the car i makes a noise whistle / squeak sound. (cars not even started yet unsure if this is normal) then a rattlling / buzzing noise has started soulds like its coming from under windscreen. did you manage to get this sorted?

Sorry to redirect this thread however I’ve noticed my a35 has some rattling from the rear end when going over bumps and uneven surfaces. Doesn’t sound like a spoiler, more like a brake disc stone shield or even an exhaust clamp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom