A35

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At least Merc doesn't put an amg badge on their amg line . phew .

What on earth would the point be of an AMG Line car without the badge? Are you sure?

Are you sure about that, maybe check the back of your cousins A class.

I'm quite sure but you never know! if you were to look at used AMG line mercs for sale, they generally dont have any AMG badges on them. Some people hop onto ebay and buy some chrome badges and stick them on.

Here are a few examples of used AMG line cars for sale:
2016 Blue MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS 2.1 C250d AMG Line (s/s) 4dr for sale for £22000 in Stirling, City Of Stirling
2018 Red MERCEDES-BENZ A CLASS 1.5 A180d AMG Line 7G-DCT (s/s) 5dr for sale for £20000 in Edinburgh, City Of Edinburgh
2017 Blue MERCEDES-BENZ A CLASS 2.1 A200d AMG Line 7G-DCT (s/s) 5dr for sale for £19600 in Perth, Perth And Kinross
2018 Grey MERCEDES-BENZ GLA CLASS 2.1 GLA220 AMG Line 7G-DCT 4MATIC (s/s) 5dr for sale for £27000 in Preston, Lancashire
Check out this Mercedes-Benz E Class that I have just found on #motorscouk
And generally they dont have a AMG stamp on the rear or sides from the factory i dont think

What on earth would the point be of an AMG Line car without the badge? Are you sure?

In the UK, there are no AMG badges on the outside. In other countries though, there may be different practices regarding this.
The benefit of the AMG line apparently it is about having a more sportier suspension (ie a bumpier , less comfortable ride), possibly slightly better brakes, a different body kit which i cant tell the difference on most cars. Also different trims, steel pedals, different steering wheels etc.

Mercedes-AMG A35: Driven | PistonHeads

First impressions from this tester above of the A35 appear to be positive. Having sat in a new A class with AMG trim and sports seats it felt a very nice place to be. Looking forward to 2019 and seeing the A45 , the MK8 Golf should debut in Geneva and a new A3 so the hot hatch choice , A35/45 Golf R , RS3 should be very interesting indeed.

I prefer the original A35:

Black_Austin_A35.jpg

After his retirement from F1, the late James Hunt drove an A35 van as his daily runabout as he reckoned the handling was so much fun and he couldn't find better entertainment for the money.

I had one of those, a 2 door 1957 in Twede Grey :)

300 BHP plus from a 4 pot and a blower (or two)...
How far can they go with these before reliability and longevity is impacted?
There are issues reported with Fords ecoboosts (according to the media if they are to be believed) - not of the same standard, but the principle of squeezing power remains. Are they demanding when it comes to servicing?

I am going to be a used car buyer for many a year yet and as this is what interests and concerns me.
Hopefully the unstressed V6 I have will be reliable

This does look nice and a potential sweet spot if you want a fast (enough) small hatchback without the hard core experience that is IMHO not liveable with on our roads these days

Hybrid performance in an A class is on the horizon though isn't it?

300 BHP plus from a 4 pot and a blower (or two)...
How far can they go with these before reliability and longevity is impacted?
There are issues reported with Fords ecoboosts (according to the media if they are to be believed) - not of the same standard, but the principle of squeezing power remains. Are they demanding when it comes to servicing?

I am going to be a used car buyer for many a year yet and as this is what interests and concerns me.
Hopefully the unstressed V6 I have will be reliable

This does look nice and a potential sweet spot if you want a fast (enough) small hatchback without the hard core experience that is IMHO not liveable with on our roads these days

Hybrid performance in an A class is on the horizon though isn't it?

There are plenty of folk running the latest Golf R mapped to Stage 2 at well over 400bhp without Engine problems and stage three at up to 600bhp ! (I’ve had a ride in one and it’s impressive but not particularly refined at that stage of tune). What does appear to happen is the extra bhp finds the weakest link in the drivetrain. On a manual R that’s the clutch (same as a GTi and regularity fail on a standard 310 bhp R) with the dsg (auto) box gears eat themselves , or the Haldex says Nooooo! Only time will tell how’s long those engines last, VW designed it to be reliable at 310 bhp not 400 plus.

I think the Ford Ecoboost issue was a plastic cooling pipe failing and loosing all coolant in doing so wrecking the hot engine.

Hybrid is coming like it or not, the MK8 Golf R is almost certain to have it , and from what I’ve read the next generation C63 is likely to get it too. If it works and the car is better for it, that’s progress. Being able to do the few miles to the supermarket (hardly touch 30mph) on electric only sounds a nice option to me.

I had one of those, a 2 door 1957 in Twede Grey :)
I had a 4-door 1955 Austin A30, and here it is as a 0-door A30 around 18 years after I sold it. I was the second owner, the first had owned it for 37 years and covered around 37,000 miles. The tools in the boot were wrapped in newspapers dated 1955 too. Sad to see it in a state, but I believe has now been restored.

full

Back topic...

I have my A45 FL tuned to 410bhp and it is running lovely with no issues.

I was in Mallorca cycling when Merc was running a A35 launch event. I had a look around some cars and the design looks a bit better to me than the last A class. The A35 is getting good reviews too.

I had a 4-door 1955 Austin A30, and here it is as a 0-door A30 around 18 years after I sold it. I was the second owner, the first had owned it for 37 years and covered around 37,000 miles. The tools in the boot were wrapped in newspapers dated 1955 too. Sad to see it in a state, but I believe has now been restored.

It doesn't look too sorry for itself, appears to be pretty solid and was clearly in the process of receiving some serious attention.

It doesn't look too sorry for itself, appears to be pretty solid and was clearly in the process of receiving some serious attention.
Yes, that was part way through a restoration. The before photos were worse, as you would imagine.

Andy, Could we be seeing you with a three pointed star on your bonnet in the near future?

Andy, Could we be seeing you with a three pointed star on your bonnet in the near future?

Never say Never Ritchie ;) I will definitely be having a test drive in an A35 when they hit the showrooms and depending how that goes possibly the A45 too. :D

I suspect it will be a very good car, built to make money though and if of course does dilute the AMG brand.

That said no more so than the AMG trim options people can choose. As said many folk out there claiming they own an AMG when it’s a diesel! Just like M badges on BMWs and R Line on Audis!

Personally I think the numbered AMGs should be the absolute fastest, highest spec models in that model but that’s just how I’ve always interpreted AMG models.

I’d still have a go in the A35 but with my own money, A45 or nothing haha

defiantly looks better with 4 tailpipes
2l turbo cars with four tailpipes come across as trying too hard to stand out. It's completely unnecessary to have that many outlets for the engine size/power. BMW got it right with two sizeable single exits on cars like the 40i engines.

:wallbash: How dare anyone with less than 6.2 litres have a quad outlet.

Good point!!! ;)

Although sometimes less is more. A little subtlety in a model, especially one that doesn’t have the engine to really shout about could be better if it wasn’t lairy.

Like these tuned exhausts that pop and bang at 10mph!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom