A35

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A35 are starting to arrive at the dealers, had a message that demonstrators will be available from next week. Will be an interesting comparison with my old Golf R as power is virtually the same. What won’t be the same is the interior, Merc way out in front on that aspect ;)

A35 are starting to arrive at the dealers, had a message that demonstrators will be available from next week. Will be an interesting comparison with my old Golf R as power is virtually the same. What won’t be the same is the interior, Merc way out in front on that aspect ;)

There is a guy who lives down my road, definitely seems like he works for merc. He usually has an S63 or other cool merc variant like an s500 convertible etc etc parked on the road outside his house. Around a month ago, he had an A35 parked outside. It was quite stunning with the aero pack or at least i really liked it. Its a car that i think looks more serious with the aero pack but it I can see why it might be a bit too much boy racer for many.

There is a guy who lives down my road, definitely seems like he works for merc. He usually has an S63 or other cool merc variant like an s500 convertible etc etc parked on the road outside his house. Around a month ago, he had an A35 parked outside. It was quite stunning with the aero pack or at least i really liked it. Its a car that i think looks more serious with the aero pack but it I can see why it might be a bit too much boy racer for many.

I'm in the 40-50 year old bracket. I like the aero pack, I'd consider speccing it, but I think if it came right down to it I would have to remember how old I am. I'm not saying older people cant have it, but I think it just gives me the feeling of driving something a bit younger. I'm almost at the pringle cardigan stage lol.

I'm in the 40-50 year old bracket. I like the aero pack, I'd consider speccing it, but I think if it came right down to it I would have to remember how old I am. I'm not saying older people cant have it, but I think it just gives me the feeling of driving something a bit younger. I'm almost at the pringle cardigan stage lol.
A cardigan or v neck with my shirt for work is standard (so I can avoid ironing my shirts !) from my perspective, if I could do my gla 45 again, I'd stick the aero pack on it...

Just a FYI

Service plan on the A35 is £29pm = Total £696 (courtesy car included)

Manual service £397 for year 1, £597 for year 2 Add £20 if you want courtesy car. = Over £1000

It seems a strange requirement to only be able to configure the Night package if you also have the Style package. The Night package I'm sure would be very popular, but that rear aerofoil is definitely not for everyone. Similarly, an electric driver's seat with memory function is quite important in our house, but this is only available with the £3,895 Premium Plus package, which is a big lump.

- and the other thing I notice, if you select the Premium package and the AMG Style package, it takes the list price to £40,035. In other words, just over the £40k VED threshold. Frustrating again (if you like the features those packages bring).
As Steve says, good sales tactics, but the option to select things individually would have been nice.

It is frustrating but its the way of the world, every car manufacturer does it, heck even Sky doesnt let me pick channels, the one I want is part of a package. It's not right, but its the way it is. I still think the standard A35 has enough bells and whistles as standard not to 'want' to spec anything else.

my advice is build through a broker like carwow , save 10 percent or more on the build, package up as desired , and then absorb some of the VED for as long as you keep the vehicle through the broker saving. If you are on a 3 year pcp then you're paying 2 years of the extra road tax. not ideal , but equally , you're still better off than if you paid full price through a dealer .

my advice is build through a broker like carwow , save 10 percent or more on the build, package up as desired , and then absorb some of the VED for as long as you keep the vehicle through the broker saving. If you are on a 3 year pcp then you're paying 2 years of the extra road tax. not ideal , but equally , you're still better off than if you paid full price through a dealer .
Yes, I see the brokers are offering around 9% discount at the moment. I was surprised at this, with the car being so new.
Mind you, you can get 25% off an M140 at the moment, which despite it being a bit long in the tooth, might have made it a bargain, but the PCP residuals are very poor so it ends up not being much cheaper.

wow I wonder why the 140i depreciates so heavily . may be it is a really old model that despite being facelifted is very long in the tooth and needs to be replaced? I do know that you can easily add around 5k of options for stuff that should really be standard kit like folding mirrors etc but 25 percent is a huge discount !

wow I wonder why the 140i depreciates so heavily . may be it is a really old model that despite being facelifted is very long in the tooth and needs to be replaced? I do know that you can easily add around 5k of options for stuff that should really be standard kit like folding mirrors etc but 25 percent is a huge discount !
Well, there is a new 1 Series due out at the end of this year, but the M140 replacement won't be out until well into 2020, I believe. From what I've read, the replacement is expected to be 4wd, and will probably have a 4-Pot 2.0 engine, compared to the current 3.0 straight six rwd.
You're right to say that it's easy to add £5k, but if you look at the standard spec of the Shadow Edition, it's pretty good. And it's equally easy to add £5k to an A35 as well, for similar kit! C2C will currently sell you the Shadow Edition for just over £27k, nearly £10k off.
The problem is, when you look at them side by side, then the A35 seems to these eyes to be far more desirable. And as I say, if you look at the PCP residuals, then the M140 loses some of the discount advantage and the monthly payments end up being closer than you might otherwise expect.

Had a test drive in an A35 today whilst at the local MB dealership. Pretty basic spec , 18 inch alloys , no premium pack, aero pack etc in black so very understated did have adjustable suspension and HUD.

The good stuff , went well enough with + 300 bhp , nothing exceptional but quick enough for most of the time, felt well put together , dash and tech is very impressive. The not so good , the leather looked fake , felt fake and was just not nice. Sales guy promised it was real leather , but looked like it came off a rhino not a cow :(

The cabin definitely needs the electric sports seats, decent leather/Alcantara and some carbon trim to make it feel as “special” as the current A45. I know it’s built to a price point but the leather fe,t a big disappointment for a car costing nigh on £40k.

I’m sure some folk will love it but I was disappointed, hope the new A45 feels as good as the old one.

- that's where I had a look and a sit. Very nice it is too, although I can't convince MrsP about the yellow!

I think we’ve been pretty lucky with the spec of our demo

9d4e6f45fc422aefb182a0e12a526c5b.jpg

Not a huge amount registered in the UK so far, but I do think ours is one of the best. Some dealerships have completely basic cars with no options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9d4e6f45fc422aefb182a0e12a526c5b.jpg

Not a huge amount registered in the UK so far, but I do think ours is one of the best. Some dealerships have completely basic cars with no options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly that’s true and a basic spec car is IMHO not that inspiring :(

I was in Northampton yesterday getting my car serviced. Salesman said they had expected theirs on Tuesday, but they had changed the spec to include the aero pack (and everything else that goes with it) and now it is due in a couple of weeks. That grey with the aero pack really does look good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom