a406 accident on edmonton slip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astamir

MB Enthusiast
Car
w208 silver clk55
Ive been in accident today on a406 was comming off a406 on angel corner junstion as the traffic was slowing down started braking slowly and the behind didnt brake at all hit me in the back my car rolled forward and hit the car in front of me
Who's fault is it guys?
Some of my friends says 50/50 as i should keep a distance but the thing we were still moving slowly and i was behaind the car 1-2 meters
The other mate says its the driver who hit me in the back is wrong and we both me with car i hit will be claiming from his insurance
The other thing is the driver that hit me was offering to pay for the repair and not to claim through his insurance
Any tips and advice would be very much appreciated

The car that hit you is 100% at fault. Take full details of both his car and the one you were pushed into.
Inform your insurance company as you are required to and hopefully they should deal with the situation. Hopefully the driver of the car that hit you has informed his insurance company and they will contact you . That was my finding after a non fault accident.

Be very wary of a cash settlement. I'd refuse it due to the other party being hit as well. Did he admit liability? It's case closed regardless as he was the one at fault totally.
Hope you are OK.

I had exactly the same thing a few years ago , in hampton court.

Waiting for a roundabout , I was rear ended which pushed me into the car in front and that one into the car in front of that , we all ended up on the roundabout.

The various insurance companies all claimed it back off the kid that caused it ( the car that hit me ) , no one claimed off me , or anyone else.

Look at it this way. How much space would you need to leave in front to anticipate a fully laden artic travelling at 60mph hitting you?
Guy who hit you HAS to be to blame 100%

I hope all goes well for you and you are ok.

The thing that hurts most is ive just done the exhaust upgrade before this(((((
Was going to take some videos to put it here

Yep always the one behind in a situation like this. I made a similar mistake as a young lad!

In these cases, even if the middle car actually crashed into the lead car in front of it BEFORE being hit in the rear by the last car, then (unless there is CCTV footage) it is impossible to establish this and the middle car gets the benefit of the doubt. So either way the rear car's insurance pays for the damage (and personal injury) of all those in front... and do notify your insurance, just in case the driver of the lead car gets a friendly call from an ambulance chasing solicitor (which he/she will).

I had exactly the same thing a few years ago , in hampton court.

Waiting for a roundabout , I was rear ended which pushed me into the car in front and that one into the car in front of that , we all ended up on the roundabout.

It was bad enough you were rear-ended.

Then to get your Hampton Court is just very unlucky!

Still hasnt been sorted the third party denying any involvement and the third party insurance wants to investigate that can take up to 3 months.
Sent all pictures as a proof still wants to investigate.
Ill update on the outcome of the investigation once its done.
Has anyone been in this situation?
Thanks

Still hasnt been sorted the third party denying any involvement

I love the complete lack of responsibility some people display.

Such a waste of time for everyone involved.

You should take pictures of the scene when in an accident if you are able - especially before the cars are moved.

Still hasnt been sorted the third party denying any involvement and the third party insurance wants to investigate that can take up to 3 months.
Sent all pictures as a proof still wants to investigate.
Ill update on the outcome of the investigation once its done.
Has anyone been in this situation?
Thanks

That is an easy one to sort out as he hit two cars, not just one. I once had a claim that took three years to sort out...

I'm a bit rusty on insurance, but isn't this a shunt, or did I get that wrong. If it is a shunt, then I think most insco's have a particular way of dealing with them.

Typically insurer for the guy who hit you will try and get in touch of driver you were shunted into and ask how many impacts they felt.

Two and they may fight on...one impact is consistent with concertina impact and they are more likely to admit liability early doors.

They'll also look at amount of damage etc.

All things being equal they will cave in due course, just frustrating when you know the truth.

As a matter of interest, are there any instances anyone can think of in which the shunted driver can be blamed? I am thinking of a) when a driver deliberately induces a car to hit him in the rear as in the whiplash insurance scams, and b) when idiots who consider they are being tailgated deliberately hit their brakes to scare the driver behind...

As a matter of interest, are there any instances anyone can think of in which the shunted driver can be blamed? I am thinking of a) when a driver deliberately induces a car to hit him in the rear as in the whiplash insurance scams, and b) when idiots who consider they are being tailgated deliberately hit their brakes to scare the driver behind...

It is incredibly difficult to apportion blame for any rear end impact to the car in front unless you have cast iron witnesses.

I hit someone who had already pulled onto a roundabout and then stopped, on the roundabout!!. No chance in the eyes of my insurance despite what they did.

As for brake testing someone, you have no chance. You shouldn't be so close to them...

Another case where a dash cam would have helped. Hindsight is an exact science !!

The thing that hurts most is ive just done the exhaust upgrade before this(((((
Was going to take some videos to put it here

I hope you had previously informed your insurer of this mod ...

Last edited:
how did the person that you went into as a result of getting hit from behind react? perhaps it would be an idea to get in touch - that way you have a 2 vs 1 situation as opposed to having all three going at it.

Normally , in these instances , the way that insurance works is that the driver in front , who you were shunted into , claims against you ; then you , in turn , claim for your damage and the damage to the car in front , from the driver behind who hit you .

As has already been said , the driver in front will be asked whether he felt one or two impacts : if one , you are in the clear as you were hit from behind first then shunted into the car in front , however , if he says he felt two impacts this shows that you hit him first then were hit from behind by the following driver - in the former case the rearmost driver pays for all of the damage ; in the latter case , you pay for damage arising from the first collision and the following driver pays for damage arising from the second one , simplistically , the fist collision would be damage to the rear of the car in front and the front of yours , the secondary one would be damage to the rear of your car and the front of the following one*

* Not always the case as the first collision might be a fairly minor 'nudge' with little or no damage , followed by a hard impact from behind causing a lot of damage to all three vehicles , but try proving it !

It is not always universally true that the following driver is always at fault in rear end collisions : in some instances the driver who stops can be at fault : as an extreme example , if you slam on your brakes in the outside lane of a motorway ( say , because you dropped a lit cigarette between your trousers ) and caused a multi car pile up , that of course would be your fault as it would be irresponsible and not a valid reason to stop suddenly when others would not be expecting it and could not possibly anticipate that event ; as opposed to stopping because a child ran out in front of you or some other event that a following driver might see at the same time as you or anticipate and allow for .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom