a45 litchfield stage 1 vs c63amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

warbz1989

Car
C63 AMG & BMW 1 Series M Sport
Hi,

Just a quick one, my friend has purchased a 64 plate a45 with the stage 1 Litchfield remap.

all I have to say is wow, certainly holds its own against my c63 which I was very shocked with!

anyone experienced anything similar?!? I almost want to get rid of the c63 for the Litchfield a45!!!

thoughts?

Hi,
Add 30,000 miles to each vehicle and repeat the test!
The A45 will probably have fallen apart by then - the interior seems more fragile than the C and above cars and that engine just seems too powerful for it's size!!
Cheers
Steve

Despite the pessimism of the poster above, the A45 sounds very interesting. The trick is to either keep them looked after, or low mileage, or replaced regularly, or have another one for in the week. Just like wives.

haha so what were saying is, the a45 is very short lived?

haha so what were saying is, the a45 is very short lived?

I think the suggestion is that the lower price will equate to less of a quality car - cheaper build/parts - therefore rattles, breakdowns and the like will come quicker.

I don't subscribe to that idea. Worked at Rastatt for two years.

I was honestly so surprised with how well it held its own, on the motorway there was obviously no comparison but the a45 with the Litchfield remap is a serious piece of kit. Im toying with the idea of a cla45? I rarely drive the c63 through the week but thinking of trading both the c63 and 1 series in for a cla45

I would never swap a 6.2 V8 for a 4 Pot. Ever. Ever ever. Couldn't care less how fast it is.

neither would I but personal circumstances at the minute may require a car that is cheaper to run (setting up own business) the c63 is bought so doesn't cost as much as people think, so you wouldn't go from the 63 to the cla45? I would obviously remap as I drove a standard a45 and was majorly disappointed, the Litchfield is however a different kettle of fish!

Its barely going to be cheaper to run.

If you wanted cheaper to run and suggested a 1.8 Astra diesel, then id agree with you.

The fuel difference is negligible.

Yes, if fuel is a consideration - forget it regardless of AMG.

I would never swap a 6.2 V8 for a 4 Pot. Ever. Ever ever. Couldn't care less how fast it is.

I drove past one the other day waiting at lights as I was in the filter.

I heard myself say "hmm, will never sound as good as the V8".

I think the V8 is a big part of the whole AMG experience and without it, it's just another fast car.

There were a few remapped A45's at MSL dyno day back in August. Very quick off the line and I'd imagine superb roadholding but................... they put me in mind of other hot hatches like the RS Fords and Golf's. Nothing wrong with them, but not special enough like the V8 AMG's

AWD is good for getting off the line a bit quicker but after that it's pretty much a numb driving feel in my opinion, I know there's plenty out there that like to 'get the power down all of the time' in their Quattros etc but nothing comes close to the soul of a V8/10/12 RWD car.

Had an A45 at stage 1 and it's blisteringly quick. The downside is that it's top end disappears quickly where as the C63 just keeps pulling.

I now have the C63S reason for the change.... V8 noise and build quality

Steve

SPX said:
AWD is good for getting off the line a bit quicker but after that it's pretty much a numb driving feel in my opinion, I know there's plenty out there that like to 'get the power down all of the time' in their Quattros etc but nothing comes close to the soul of a V8/10/12 RWD car.
Absolutely spot on .

There's no replacement for displacement (except a whiner :D)!

completely agree with all, the a45 is a fantastic little hot hatch but from 60 to 160 the a45 is just a dot in the rear view mirror.

New tyres tomorrow on the c63 which I cant wait for, sad I know!!!

I've recently took delivery of my new CLA45 and to me, being my first AMG it's very quick and the grip is ridiculous.

The interior is fantastic for me, feels very "expensive" inside with the Exclusive pack with the leather finish dash.

The MPG is non existent. Don't read the hype of "40" mpg, i have been getting 18-25.

CLA45 was the perfect choice for me, C63 was too much too soon from my previous low powered cars.

However I think the 45 is a lot faster than i anticipated! Fell in love with it from the first test drive!

The A45 with the Lichfield map must be insanely quick, I see what some of the posters meant by longevity.

In terms of a pure N/A V8 lump compared to a highly strung 2.0 Turbo on the V8 engine alone less could go wrong, Its bigger its stronger and has fewer bolted on components which could fail.

Its like interfaces between two different systems, The Turbo and Engine are separate so the risk of failure on one component is far greater than that of an engine without?

Ultimately as a long term car a naturally aspirated engine would last longer as there is less stress on the engine from other components.

Those factors aside however I think technology has moved forward so much that turbo/supercharged cars are just insanely quick in small packages. I think the noise of a N/A V Engine is something you cannot replicate, Not only that the feel of the engine and the response of N/A car.

Both great in there own rights!

The A45 with the Lichfield map must be insanely quick, I see what some of the posters meant by longevity.

In terms of a pure N/A V8 lump compared to a highly strung 2.0 Turbo on the V8 engine alone less could go wrong, Its bigger its stronger and has fewer bolted on components which could fail.

Its like interfaces between two different systems, The Turbo and Engine are separate so the risk of failure on one component is far greater than that of an engine without?

Ultimately as a long term car a naturally aspirated engine would last longer as there is less stress on the engine from other components.

Those factors aside however I think technology has moved forward so much that turbo/supercharged cars are just insanely quick in small packages. I think the noise of a N/A V Engine is something you cannot replicate, Not only that the feel of the engine and the response of N/A car.

Both great in there own rights!

What if you combine a V8 with a supercharger / turbocharger (s) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom