A45 vs golf r vs rs3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark44

Car
C63 Estate Edition 507
I'm looking at swapping out the missus' dull-as-dishwater golf mk7 tdi with something a similar size bit nippier - obviously I'll never be driving it :rolleyes:

Must be auto, 5dr with parking sensors and heated seats (have to make some concessions), with some manufacturers warranty remaining. Don't really want to spend over £25k

I'd prefer the rs3, solely for the 5-pot engine, but realistically the model I'd like (facelift, nardo grey) start about £35k - so I'm looking at the other 2.

I test drove the golf over the weekend. Very impressed - but basic spec underwhelming. A45 might be a bit lairy so might also look at a gla45, or even a q3rs

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Mark

I like them all. However, if I had to choose one with that budget it would be the Golf R.

Good luck.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Golf R - really nice especially with DSG just such a wonderful gearbox and very well suited to the car. Basic spec has nothing left to desire in my opinion.

Only thing I wish I went for is the adaptive suspension. Whilst it handles superbly on the standard I do find it a bit tiring on the longer drives.

Don't discount the S3, it's basically a Golf R in a nicer suit and less hardcore option than the RS3.

Out of those three the A45

Don't discount the S3, it's basically a Golf R in a nicer suit and less hardcore option than the RS3.

Slightly off topic Alan but what's your thoughts on the S5 Sportback?

Slightly off topic Alan but what's your thoughts on the S5 Sportback?

I was drawn to the bigger model as I was replacing the E - so I ended up with an S6. This was after initially looking at the S4 Avant.

I basically ignored the 5's because we wanted an estate. There seem to be some very good deals available and my business partner keeps looking at S5 coupe's to replace his Golf R. The new model is quite attractive.

Driven all 3 quite a bit and owned a TTRS for 2 years (same engine/chassis as the RS3). All are great cars, RS3 has the best sound, tuneability and looks which I'd suggest to you if it were something that you were looking at getting.

But if the wife wants something solid and reliable yet still with some power to it, you really can't go wrong with the Golf R. With the DSG gearbox, it's mightily quick off the line, got all the diff tech to pull around corners and keep you planted, decent space, understated and will cost less to repair than the others if something were to happen to it. As above, the S3 is a very good shout if you want a nicer interior and badge. The saloon with its quad pipes looks particularly good IMO

2015-audi-s3-sedan-full-hd-wallpaper-1024x768-jpg.38789

Thanks for the replies

I'm still drawn to the golf, and given the choice probably my wife too.

Not a huge fan of the standard alloys, though anything with the much nicer 19s seems to carry a £3k premium as you could only seem to get them with the adaptive dampers.

The s3 is a possibility. No doubt better interior quality, but the golf appears to always trump in reviews for driving pleasure. Has anyone driven both? It's hard to get a decent test drive in London.

As for the bm - I sold my e90 330 a while back. Really didn't gel with it, or the Beemer 'vibe'.

With regard to "driving pleasure". I've found that most of these reviews seem to be how well the car handles around a track rather than the real world.

I often read reviews of sports cars and hot hatches and other powerful vehicles that mark them down points for not turning in or gripping like they are on rails, or even that they are being compared to Porsches as if that was even relevant.

The S6 I've ordered constantly gets comments of it's "slightly vague handling" and not being particularly "sporty" or a bit "soft", which considering it's an almost two tonne estate car isn't really a surprise.

Ask yourself what you actually want, I can't tolerate my business partners Golf R for anything other than a 5-10 minute trip as I find the suspension unacceptably harsh for daily driving and the potholes and speedbumps of SE England and London, however I've no doubt it's awesome around a track.

If this is your wife's daily car and she commutes on Brands Hatch then go for it. If it's 99% of the time driven at a snails pace on badly kept roads then maybe it's worth considering ride quality over handling, which is where I see the S3 as a sensible compromise.

In the same respect I did look at the RS6 but I found it a bit full on and hardcore for what would essentially be a daily driver. The compromise in ride quality wasn't worth the extra performance and cache (that in all likelyhood would never or very very rarely get used). The model down proved to be a better car for the intended use.

Good points - thanks.

S3 appealing on a lot of levels.

Also good trim and design go a long way when stuck in traffic.

Though this is an AMG page, Im grateful other brands can be embraced.

Thanks

Golf R used to be available on killer lease deals, around £200 per month. If you could get one of those then, I would look no further.

I would suggest finding a town (outside of London) with VW, Audi and Mercedes dealers, and lining up test drives with all three cars on the same day. Back to back test :thumb:

For 25K u will most likely get a basic spec 45 with the 18's and no aero pack (might not want an aero pack for ur wife's car). Also it will probably be coming out of warranty too. Can always extend for circa 1K.

25K will get u a relatively new golf R, with most of the decent options inc 19" wheels, leather interior and 5doors.

If it was my money I'd spend sub 20K and get a golf R cash. If I had a bit more money I'd get a 45 with 19's, aero pack and drivers pack inside

S3 + remap, the steering feel on Audi's are generally poor.

I had an S3 a couple of years ago, impressed with grip and power.

Hi,
I have driven all 3 and these are my views:-
The A45 is simply bonkers to drive - great in Sport mode - lots of pops and fart noises on up and down shifts. Cabin looks a bit PlayStation for me and I wouldn't fancy it on a long journey.
The S3 is very Germanically efficient but very boring to look at - but very classy inside.
The Golf R (with the bigger wheels and leather interior) is everything you need in a modern hot hatch. Great to drive, steers, goes and handles well (just like the S3).
Of the above 3 the Golf would be my choice.

However - I also recently tested a BMW M135i and I preferred it over all the above.
The performance, handling, interior were all better than the above cars.

In the end - whichever of the above you choose - they are all great cars!
Cheers
Steve

My neighbour has a Golf R estate. The quad tailpipes (one for each cylinder :D) look good but it sounds really boring and normal! IIRC it pipes fake engine sound through internal speakers to make it sound better for the occupants though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom