AA are having a laugh!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by merc180k, Oct 14, 2008.

1. merc180k

merc180k Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
    Sorry folks but am about to rant - need to let off some steam!!!!!:mad: :mad:

Been an AA customer for the last year with 5 years previously with RAC. Last year breakdown roadside and home start for C-Max came in at £69. Renewal this year...... £93!!!:mad: :mad:

Called to query the £24ish increase and was told that they could reduce to £74 since I called and was a "Valued customer!!" whatever!!!:confused:

Have said that this is a dishonest practice and the renewal should have come out at the lowest price they could do me if I am so valued rather than take a chance at more money should I not question the price.

Needless to say I'll be moving the cover out of principal as don't want to deal with dishonest companies where I can avoid it.:devil:

Anyway - watch out for this if you have cover and it is coming up for renewal.

Any good suggestions for alternate cover??

Cheers,

Simon

2. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430
    better put a shotgun in your mouth and pull the trigger, it doesnt matter who you are and who you deal with or where you live, people are lyers, I just had a renewal quote from O2 whos bill has been getting steadily higher, when I told them I was leaving because their bills were too high and I could get it cheaper elsewhere they said would I stay if they lowered my bill, I said I would if you did it without asking now goodbye, spoke to a friend about mortgages and he said they same, looks like they are all lying b******s and keeping these sharks form robbing all your money is a full time job!!!!

good shout on keeping an eye on things, these buggers rely too much on brand loyalty and creeping bills up so we dont notice

3. stevesey

stevesey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    C-Max, another year older, doesn't that that explain the need for a premium increase. :devil:

4. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430
    bit of a percentage hike...

5. stevesey

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    For a Merc maybe, but a ford? :D :D

6. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    This is pretty normal practice for many businesses, I'm sure AA/RAC/whoever all operate in this way, as do almost all other insurers/mortgage providers/banks etc etc.

They need to attract new customers more than they need to retain exisiting ones. A large chunk of people don't have time/energy/knowledge of what's going on etc and simply let the renewals roll ahead.

Works well :)

Will

7. bigstuff

bigstuff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

if your stuck on the side of the road in the winter ect think what a few pounds will buy?

8. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Burger .... cup of tea ?

9. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    As the TV advert says, low rates are advertised to "hoick" you in, if you stay year after year, you have to pay for the "bubbly & biccies" at the shareholders meeting.

Russ

10. stevesey

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    But the original rate doesn't seem that competative anyway, and £93 is silly. Our AA family, personal membership is £160ish but that includes relay, and covers 4 drivers, any vehicles (including as passengers).

11. GrahamC230K

GrahamC230K MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Audi A3 & S4 quattro
    Had exactly the same treatment with my renewal. Quite a large difference.

12. Seamster15

Seamster15 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW Z3m & Audi C5 V8
    If you have been with the AA long enough its possible that you are a share holder. When Centrica took over they gave AA members shares.

13. C.nile

C.nile New Member

Car:
    C180 Avgde A170 Elegance
    If you want to belong to a book club why not join Readers Digest ??

14. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    I was with AA...they hiked their prices....I went to Green Flag....they hiked their prices....I went to, gues where...? yup AA!!

15. bigstuff

bigstuff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

think of it this way a new tyre £100 .taken home with your car dog kids wife caravan from any part of the uk £93 i think very good value

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  16. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430

???

17. sidmon

sidmon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Ian, Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm looking for more details about the Merc your selling? (Can you email me direct on ksmotors1 AT gmx.com). I cannot reply on the sales thread or send a PM as it won't let me due to lack of posts!

18. edthedead

edthedead Member

Same with car insurance, that's why I usually end up changing companies every year, sometimes going back to the one I was with the year before last... it's all an attempt to extract extra money from those who don't shop around... brand loyalty is for mugs IMHO! ;)

19. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    This, in my experience is a typical AA trick.
    Several years ago I moved my car insurance to the AA because I was drawn in by their sales pitch - and it was a bit cheaper.
    Next year the renewal came in and I noticed the premium had jumped from about £200 to over £300.
    No claims - no accidents - no motoring convictions. Nothing.
    I phoned them to enquire as to why the massive increase and I received a very similar reply as the one got by the OP.
    I moved my business to MoreThan, who I am still with.
    I do check around most years and so far MoreThan have remained very competitive.

I wouldnt touch the AA for anything with a 50 foot disinfected barge pole.

I am currently covered by the Green Flag organisation which is available discounted through MoreThan.
    I used them last week and they turned up in less than 15 minutes and was on my way within one hour of the breakdown. So no complaints.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  20. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    mines due for renewal next month, so i'll look out for it. i was going to shop round this year as i think there are now quite a few cheaper alternatives.

Tags: