AA Renewal: £230 or £159, if you can be bothered to ring up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
As a "Gold Member" of the AA, I've just received my renewal for 2020: £230 for two users, including Recovery.

Checking online, the new membership fee is £159

So I rang them to cancel, saying I would go to Green Flag and RAC.

They offered me £179, which I refused.

So they offered me £159, which I accepted. A saving of £71.

"Just saying."

Happy Christmas, all.

Same story every year with the AA. Never once taken their renewal price and often leave and come back (in another family members name) if they can't match new customer pricing..

I ceased having cover with the AA earlier this year as all the vehicles we own are now covered Europe-wide by manufacturer schemes, but their practice of sending out a renewal notice with a comedy price and then reducing it when you phoned up had become very tiresome.

Isn’t this exactly the same with broadband/TV packages, mobile phone contracts, car/home insurance, gas/electricity and pretty much everything else these days.

Annoying, I agree though.

Isn’t this exactly the same with broadband/TV packages, mobile phone contracts, car/home insurance, gas/electricity and pretty much everything else these days.

Yes same as all you mentioned. Pay the renewal, get stung. Shop around, get a decent price.

I was an AA member for a hell of a long time, but this annoying practice came in when Aviva (or is it Centrica?) bought them, eventually I gave up, looked elsewhere and have not gone back. ATM through the car insurance with LV I get Britannia full home, roadside and recovery for wife and self any car for about £120pa.

They even have a name for it - Inertia Selling

I really might consider leaving the AA, I too keep having to call up and negotiate on the renewal price. My family have been with them for over 30 years.

^ When I phoned them up to tell them I wasn’t renewing this year (I’d had Europe-wide cover with them since 1992) I was asked the reason why.

I took great delight in telling them that I was fed up with the charade of them sending out inflated price renewal notices every year, and me having to phone up to “negotiate” a sensible renewal price. I was asked if I’d consider staying with them if the practice ceased, and took further delight in telling them no, as they’d pi$$ed me off one time too many :)

Great amusement first time I quit AA - C220 was insured through Saga and where AA would not drop below about £170, Saga for the same cover was less than £100 - and I was told that if I called for a breakdown, it was The AA that would respond (owned by the same outfit as Saga!!). Having said that, I have had superb service from AA Windscreens, but that is no doubt down to my local operator and may not be indicative of country wide service levels!

Yep, same rigmarole every year with the AA , they send me a renewal, always more than the year before, I phone them and always get it down to the same or cheaper than the year before, annoys me ,
why not give me the cheap price in the 1st place, actually I do know why, there relying on those members that won't contest the price, which know doubt some won't, that's wrong and annoying.

Hi
I had the same situation AA renewal was about £270, so phoned up to say cancelling and they then offered me a deal of £194.00 wish I quibbled more.

This.

Covers the cars and bikes for a fraction of what the others charge. I've used them before and they sent out the same local company when we had AA cover.

I did our Autoaid cover via Quidco, cost me under £40 for me and the Mrs in/on any vehicle. Can't go wrong at that price, and I've seen very little, if any, negative reviews for the service they provide.

Pete

Ive always been with AA and every year they try and give me a highly inflated price - i wonder how many people dont bother checking and just pay it.
I managed to get it down to £60 last year with them - a quick call saying what about my loylty discount. :D

As a "Gold Member" of the AA, I've just received my renewal for 2020: £230 for two users, including Recovery.

Checking online, the new membership fee is £159

So I rang them to cancel, saying I would go to Green Flag and RAC.

They offered me £179, which I refused.

So they offered me £159, which I accepted. A saving of £71.

"Just saying."

Happy Christmas, all.

Isn't there new legislation coming that makes this illegal for insurances, I should be extended to all annual memberships

Isn't there new legislation coming that makes this illegal for insurances, I should be extended to all annual memberships

I'm only aware of the 2017 legislation on transparency, which is already in place

An evaluation of our general insurance renewal transparency intervention

Best summarised:

untitled-9.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom