aaaargh ...... Immobiliser - W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

altreed

Car
c36 AMG, z3 2.8, BMW 330D Touring.... Bike: Yamaha T/cat 600, Z1r {gxsr1100 mota}, CR500 Aii
My car wont start.

I drove out at lunch time for half a mile, got out, did some shopping, got back in a few minutes later and it wouldn't start.

I rang my local dealer and he suggests it could be the immobiliser is broken, if the red light doesn't light on the RVM (rear view mirror).

Sure enough the red light doesn't work.

I have tried the reset method, alarm lock, unlock, alarm lock, unlock, ignition. But that has made no effect.

The dealer said it is likely that the immobiliser will need replacing/repairing £££££ has anyone got a test/fix I can try without calling the stealer out to get me going and taking my birfday money so soon?

Any help?

Cheers
Dave

Try your spare key fob
Mine occasionally fails to start with mine, but fires up fine on my spare.
Once its started, the original one works fine again.

Worth a try.....

I could be wrong but I think it's the fact that the little red lights have failed in your RVM and the front door handles which are the cause of the immobiliser failure. I think it's to do with breaking the circuit for the alarm once all 3 little lights have failed, I think if one or two of the three fail you're okay if all 3 go then the whole system goes down. Though the lights look like LED's I think they actually are minature bulbs.

I'm pretty sure others will be more clued up on this type of alarm system.

Later MB switched to a different DAS key system from the type with little green and red lights in the handles and RVM.

S.

Last edited:
I only have the red lamp in the RVM, the door handles doesn't have any lights in it. I haven't considered the lamp in the RVM, I will try to see if that has blown tomorrow when I get back to work.

yep very correct... take the mirror off, get someone to fit u an led for pennies and will save yourself £££££'s

LED now soldered in ( a right bodge) but it now flashes! :) Unfortunately when I turn the ignition, the alarm and immobiliser flash alternately for 30-60 seconds and no starting!!! :crazy:

I rang my Stealer and they have given me a cycle to follow to re sync my Fob and the car. So I'll try that on the way home :confused:

YaY

Got my car going.

I had to use the other keyfob!

After starting, I tried the original keyfob, but that will not work now :( If I take the battery out for a bit, will that reset the keyfob so it will work again? 'its my favourite'

I'm just thinking if there is a mod opportunity here ;)

Thanks for your help guys.

altreed said:
YaY

Got my car going.

I had to use the other keyfob!

After starting, I tried the original keyfob, but that will not work now :( If I take the battery out for a bit, will that reset the keyfob so it will work again? 'its my favourite'

I'm just thinking if there is a mod opportunity here ;)

Thanks for your help guys.

Make sure you order a new keyfob asap, they are about £60.

Mine 2nd one died about 1 week after the 1st, then I couldnt get in or start the car - had to wait a week for them to order 2 sets of keys

altreed said:
LED now soldered in ( a right bodge) but it now flashes! :)

How did you take the mirror apart? The red bulb in mine has never worked since I've had the car ('97 C180). I have had a look at it and tried gently bending bits of the casing but then chickened out before something cracked. Any info gratefully received.

I know what you mean. I had already had the mirror to bits when I accidently knocked it and it fell off. I had to glue some of it back together.

I will try to do a 'How to', when I get to put it all back together, probly a couple of weeks though.

Those of you without dimming RVMs may want to upgrade to a dimming version which, if new would have a full set of working bulbs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom