Aaaghh.. squeeks and rattles driving me crazy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexM

Car
W212 E63 AMG Saloon
Hi,

My 2013 E63 has numerous squeaks and rattles that are driving me crazy, and seem to be very difficult to locate (they sound like they are coming from everywhere!). I have been sensitised to the noises to he extent that it is really starting to spoil my enjoyment of the car. I am desperate to resolve them or I will probably have to get rid of it. I know that sounds a little extreme, but it is very, very annoying.

Front cabin - squeaks from dash in the vicinity of the instrument binacle, steering column shroud and elsewhere in the dash around the glovebox. Also some noises from the centre console and door cards

Rear Cabin - rattle from the rear headlining, squeaks from the rear bench, the rear pillars, rear parcel shelf, possibly rear blind mechanism.

Boot - noise from rear parcel shelf, under the boot liner nr. spare wheel, some strange noise coming from passenger side rear wing.

I guess some noises are to be expected from a firm riding car, but this would be unacceptable in a far less expensive vehicle. My knackered Mk1. Ford focus beater doesnt have a single trim squeek, although it is a much softer riding car.

What can be done? I have a tube of Kryox and unlimited felt tape but am loathe to start pulling everything apart just to reassemble it. Does anyone have experience of chasing down these sorts of noises and resolving them?. I'd really appreciate any advice or tips you have - there is a great car in there somewhere!.

Regards,
Alex

Haha.. yes, I am maybe making it sound a little worse than it is, but there is something of an orchestra of squeaks and rattles on some road surfaces like Shellgrip with closely spaced bumps or rough textured tarmac.

Shouldn't really be that way - my previous mercs have always been very good in terms of NVH.

I know how annoying rattles can be and have gotten rid of cars for that very reason but my E63 is just silent in that department. The C63 had a couple of rattles that I cured.
Hope you sort them soon if that's the route you go down

Yup, it would drive me nuts also.

I sold a car due to a rattle from the dash at just over a year old and around 6000 miles.

My wife never hears a thing from cars no matter how bad they are.

Maybe swap yours for her 2011 Aygo?

Best of luck getting them sorted.

Robin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to investigate the rear headliner as I definitely have an unwanted noise from there most of the time. Then I will try to fix the squeaks from the instrument binnacle and the steering column shroud. Then the isofix covers on the rear seats, then the dash wood trim, then the door cards, rear parcel shelf.

That will hopefully reduce the interior noises enough for the dealer to hear about the front offside strut or topmount knock that they are selectively deaf to :)

It's a good thread you're referencing on mbworld and I'll spend an afternoon working down the list. Has noone else had experience of this sort of problem? I'm sensitive but not completely OCD...

I've been chasing a "squeak" in my wife's Spider...we had the leather retrimmed & stuffed & spruced up the door cards. It only seems to be there at low speed up to 15-20mph, so narrowed it down & its the refurbed door cards leading edge touching the outer edge of the door jam when shut...sounded like a couple in Latex bodysuits having a good time...;)

Our E63 had plenty of rattles in it. The headlining was fixed by the dealer. On the other hand , the 350 is totally silent with not a squeak or rattle at all. Strange how both 212s can be like this.

I'm going to investigate the rear headliner as I definitely have an unwanted noise from there most of the time. Then I will try to fix the squeaks from the instrument binnacle and the steering column shroud. Then the isofix covers on the rear seats, then the dash wood trim, then the door cards, rear parcel shelf.

That will hopefully reduce the interior noises enough for the dealer to hear about the front offside strut or topmount knock that they are selectively deaf to :)

It's a good thread you're referencing on mbworld and I'll spend an afternoon working down the list. Has noone else had experience of this sort of problem? I'm sensitive but not completely OCD...

Unfortunately I have most of the noises you describe. I've sorted the headliner and ISOfix covers as that was an easy fix. I will be working on the rest at some point as it drives me insane having a noisy car interior.

I've purchased one of these sets to make it easier removing the interior trim:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mercedes-Benz-Instrument-Cluster-Removal-Pulling-Hook-Tool/282483555071

Last edited:
I can 100% vouch for this being annoying i have the same problems....

My rattles are door cards and something from the glovebox however after searching high and low, i found that the annoying rattle (the most annoying one)

To be coming from the compartment under the passanger seat, you know the little storage locker.
If you have someone sat in the seat it wont rattle due to the weight... soon as thats gone its present.
Its an easy fix, i just put some of those velvet rubber sticky pads so when the door latches shut the plastic cannot vibrate.
So thats one down, but the door cards.... so irratating, i HATE rattles with a passion.
Also climate makes a difference i've found, if the interior is baking hot (everything expanded) the rattles are almost gone, soon as the interior is of normal temp or cold thats when they are at the worst.

Yes, I can't see why the doors are rattling. I will attack the seat storage with the fuzzy felt this weekend. And the rear deck stop lamp. And the rear speaker, and the isofix covers, and... And... And...

It is very annoying. Surely the NVH team must have driven these cars for tens of thousands of miles over everything from Belgian pave to corrugated asphalt and chased the source of the plastic to plastic contact. Did they really sign off on this as acceptable for a premium MB?. I have never owned a car with so many rattles, even more so at 25k miles.

Weird! My 63 is silent- the only rattles are stuff I put in which rolls around!

I think generally people have different definitions of what a 'rattle' is and some are impervious to it, the lucky sods.

The plastics used in the air vents and surrounds are plastic welded together and rub against each other for fun so I can't imagine one of these cars being totally immune.

I owned two Audi A4’s prior to buying my 14 plate E350. I never had any interior issues with either of them other than a broken door lock on my first model.

I’ve been really reluctant to admit it, but I’ve had the Mercedes for 3 years now and although I absolutely love it and despite it being 5 years younger that my last Audi, I feel I have taken a step back in overall interior build quality.

I just wouldn’t expect all the rattles I have got from this type of car. There’s definitely something going on around the instrument panel. I have also had an annoying rattle somewhere in the boot.

The latest one was really annoying to the point I removed everything from the car including the parcel shelf.

It turned out to be the 60 split. As soon as I put the seat down, the rattle disappeared.

The major downfall with both my Audi’s was engine reliability, so I won’t be going back to them. I’ve looked at the new E-Class and it’s lovely. It also seems to look much better built. I’m just hoping if and when I get round to buying one, they are as good as they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just had the rear of my coupe apart yesterday, all the plastic trim off as many squeaks and rattles.... I used the small fibre pads you use for the chair and table legs on hard floors, they are self adhesive and give you just enough padding on plastic trims and alike. I also used them on the dash binnacle and all have gone... Everything screws/clips back into place tightly and so far has been all good. like many others on here I have an OCD issue... squeals, rattles, panel gaps and all those others niggling issues I have to sort.....
When the weather is better I'm tackling the SL as it has a couple of dash squeaks....

I must be the lucky one- no rattles or creaks or anything on mine! Well at least none that are ‘fixed’ to the car if you know what I mean...

mine doesn't make any noises apart from the steering which squeeks a bit when turning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom