aaarrgghh banks !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grasmere

Car
MB C220 D 1996
Just had a call from, apparently, NatWest, about identity fraud.

That of course peaked my interest as I use my NatWest Credit Card on the internet fairly often.

The girl wanted me to confirm my identity before she could discuss the account. So I agreed wholehearedly - thats when it started . . . ;)

I said no problem, you tell me who you think I am and where I live and I'll confirm it. Oh no she says - you need to tell me and I'll confirm it.

We weren't getting anywhere, so I slowly explained that she knew who I was because she called my number and asked for me by name. I answered the phone and confirmed it was me but that I did not know who she was or where she was calling from apart from that she said it was NatWest - it could in fact have been a fraudster etc etc - but she didnt want to hear that. She even checked with a supervisor but she was not allowed to give any of my details out over the phone because of data protection - correct I said and its MY data that I am trying to protect from an unknow caller!!!

Anyway, after a few more minutes it turned out that it was not a problem with my account but that she was offering a 'free trial' of NatWest privacy protection or something to prevent identity fraud :crazy:

UNBELIEVABLE

Had the same call after i bought something over £300.00 late one night, had a call about 10:00pm an hour later asking if i'd used my card online, i confirmed i had, but that was it. No other questions.. aparently it flags up on their system if it's new activity. No calls since

I do that all the time
Bank "can you comfirm your postcode"
Zoo "Yes can you"

if I have any doubt about the banks identity I just tell them that before I discuss my details to ask me my security question.

Andy

Data Protection Act

Data Protection Act - pah, don't get me started! It's the excuse given by everyone for behaving like idiots

I was meeting a friend at the Travelodge by Donington Park. I wrote a note and asked them to pass it to my friend. They couldn't as the reception wasn't manned all night. So I wrote his name on it and asked them to put it up on the noticeboard for him

They refused, starting that than Data Protection Act wouldn't allow them to!

Utter b*ll*cks. But I realised I missed a trick there - I should have told them the name I wrote on the note wasn't his real name. That would have confused them for a while!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I've given feedback to NatWest via their website - lets see their response :rolleyes:

I do believe that there should be a way for them to confirm who they are to us - so we'll see . . . ;)

Whenever I receive a call asking me to identify myself, I ask for their full name, department, and telephone number, and say I'll call back. I then call them using a telephone number that I find independently or already know, just to be sure. Can't be too carefull.

Slight aside. My dad received a call from an investment house in south america to let him know that they could produce an eight-fold return on his investment overnight. Now if I knew what he said he knew, I'd be raiding the piggy bank, re-mortgaging the house, withdrawing my savings, and letting those near and dear know so that we can make a packet ...I wouldn't be calling a stranger in Brazill!!

One of my colleagues stopped an Audi the other day. Driver looked a decent enough sort with a young child stapped in the rear seat. A check of the PNC revealed insurance not held. Audi driver produces insurance certificate.

My colleague is a little suspicious and telephones the broker to ask if the certificate is genuine and valid. Broker says I cannot tell you anything due to data protection. He says "I only want to know if it is valid or not". Same response.

He gives up and lets Audi driver leave with his car, and goes to station to dig out a data protection form. He then realises that the insurance company name is also on the cert in very small writing and calls them. No problem with data protection as he is imformed that Mr Audi cancelled his insurance in December. :crazy:

If he could have got this information when he still had Audi driver stopped not only would he have been arrested but his car would have been towed away to be crushed. He now has to go round and catch the git at home to arrest him. And if the car is parked off road he won't be able to seize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom