abandoned car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonc78

Think I may already know the answer to this but just want to see if anyone has any ideas as what to do with a car abandoned in our road.

First noticed the car over two years ago, hadn't moved for a few months and had a flat tyre. Checked the mot/tax history and no tax or mot for over a year. I reported online (on the gov and council sites). Done this once before and that car was clamped and towed with a month. A few months later and it was still there, so I checked tax/mot again and now it has tax and mot. This was despite the car not having moved. A year later the same thing, it has been taxed and mot'ed again but it hasn't moved, it still has a flat tyre.

As it has tax/mot and is therefore 'legally' parked do we have to just live it? Or is there a way to get it moved?

If it's a public road, check if the car has insurance (use askMID).

If not, it cannot be legally parked on a public road.

I think the rozzers will be interested then and will do their disappearing trick on it.

Thanks John. As suspected, it's not insured either. I'll try reporting it again via the council website with this new information. I guess there is the possibility the owner may insure it once they are contacted about the car, since this what they did with the mot/tax.

It would be interesting to find out who managed to MOT this car without it turning up at the testers premises.
Might be handy to report the testing station to the DVSA.

I should have added, I have reported the dodgy MOT to the DVSA. But they are of course more interested in the garage that issued it rather than the car...

Abandoned cars usually attract vandals..

someone breaks a window and before you know it, kids have broken in and it becomes a hazard. Lots of people report it and away it goes.. just saying 🏴‍☠️

Suspected abandoned cars are not the police's responsibility unless it can be shown to be involved in criminality or an RTC.

You should contact your local council who remove it eventually.

Google 'Fix My Street' - I've used this twice to report 'abandoned' cars outside my house. I have a very awkward entrance to my drive, sometimes people park vehicles larger than an average car very close to my drive and block my view of oncoming traffic (I have to reverse out on to my street), making it a game of Russian roulette getting out without someone driving into me.

The last time it happened, someone parked a VW Transporter about 6 inches from my drop kerb, for more than 2 weeks - clearly not abandoned, the owner lived on another street. I reported it via that website and 2 days later, it vanished. I've done the same before with some clown in a Qashqai - left parked for a week and a half.

Reports go straight to your council so they can't ignore them.

If a car has mot, tax and insurance, what grounds can it be moved by fix my street or anybody else for that matter. Is it a private or public road.
Dangerously/inconsiderately parked - that's what grounds I used and it's worked twice.

Thats where you're most definitely wrong - see my previous post. I've had cars removed that were perfectly roadworthy - just lazy owners parking inconsiderately.

If a car has mot, tax and insurance, what grounds can it be moved by fix my street or anybody else for that matter. Is it a private or public road.
It cannot, the owners just happened to move them.

Can understand the dangerous bit, danger to who though, not other road users. Inconsiderate yes, as people can be but not grounds to tow away.
The car and van I was talking about were parked so close to my driveway that I was risking an accident every time I wanted to leave my house, basically reversing blind into a main road because i'm just faced with a slab of metal with no windows when I try to see into the road.

Pure selfishness on the part of the owner, can't be ****d to park it right, that'll do'/don't give a toss mentality about drive access.

I would tell the council where to go if i was parked legally.
Great minds think alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom