abandoned car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Google 'Fix My Street' - I've used this twice to report 'abandoned' cars outside my house. I have a very awkward entrance to my drive, sometimes people park vehicles larger than an average car very close to my drive and block my view of oncoming traffic (I have to reverse out on to my street), making it a game of Russian roulette getting out without someone driving into me.

The last time it happened, someone parked a VW Transporter about 6 inches from my drop kerb, for more than 2 weeks - clearly not abandoned, the owner lived on another street. I reported it via that website and 2 days later, it vanished. I've done the same before with some clown in a Qashqai - left parked for a week and a half.

Reports go straight to your council so they can't ignore them.
Not an offence to park close to a dropped kerb....and long as you don't overhang it at all.....the drop should be wide enough for you to get out no matter how close a car is parked....if not its been made too narrow. Cars park close to mine in summer sometimes as I live near the beach. As I was told by the local plod, if its taxed insured and MOTed and not illegally parked there is nothing they or I can do about it. To be honest, on my street, if you don't park close to the drops there would be next to no on street parking at all....not ideal for guests etc.

Not an offence to park close to a dropped kerb....and long as you don't overhang it at all.....the drop should be wide enough for you to get out no matter how close a car is parked....if not its been made too narrow. Cars park close to mine in summer sometimes as I live near the beach. As I was told by the local plod, if its taxed insured and MOTed and not illegally parked there is nothing they or I can do about it. To be honest, on my street, if you don't park close to the drops there would be next to no on street parking at all....not ideal for guests etc.
Yep i'm aware of that, still doesn't make it right. My situation is further complicated by a lamp post which is on the other side of my drive, so I have very little room to manoeuvre in the other direction, if my view is blocked by something badly parked. Thankfully, seems like the people who've i've reported before don't like attention from the council so ended up moving them anyway.

Yep i'm aware of that, still doesn't make it right. My situation is further complicated by a lamp post which is on the other side of my drive, so I have very little room to manoeuvre in the other direction, if my view is blocked by something badly parked. Thankfully, seems like the people who've i've reported before don't like attention from the council so ended up moving them anyway.
Move slim.

The car and van I was talking about were parked so close to my driveway that I was risking an accident every time I wanted to leave my house, basically reversing blind into a main road because i'm just faced with a slab of metal with no windows when I try to see into the road.

Pure selfishness on the part of the owner, can't be ****d to park it right, that'll do'/don't give a toss mentality about drive access.
It seems that you are very unfortunate in meeting all these other motorists who are intent on causing accidents; this is remarkably similar to your thread on the A42 - although in that thread you reported getting into an argument with a van driver while you were reversing into your drive, so I can't understand why you're now reversing blind onto a main road from your driveway.

It seems that you are very unfortunate in meeting all these other motorists who are intent on causing accidents; this is remarkably similar to your thread on the A42 - although in that thread you reported getting into an argument with a van driver while you were reversing into your drive, so I can't understand why you're now reversing blind onto a main road from your driveway.
Surely I can choose to reverse on to my drive or drive on to my drive as I see fit?

I never drive straight onto my drive.....firstly that means I have to reverse off which can be difficult depending where others have parked, secondly you are messing around reversing with a stone cold engine whereas you should just want to just get in, drive gently and warm her up.....and thirdly and most important of all....she looks so much nicer from the front for passers by!!!!!

No choice most of the time - if I reverse on to my drive, 9 times out of 10 the car bottoms out. So I have to drive on and reverse out.
We lived on a busy road a few years ago and made a point of always reversing onto the drive.

I can't say the car is dangerously parked or blocking anyone's drive way. It's just annoying because it takes up a space that residents of the street could use. The MOT isn't valid and it doesn't have insurance. Anyway I've reported it to the council again, so we'll see what happens. I think they are obliged to contact the owner first who may just then insure the car in which case they couldn't do anything. I don't know what the council can do regards the fact it's a dodgy mot, it's just my word on that? Someone out there must have an interest in the car, I just can't why you wouldn't scrap it or sell it rather than tax/mot and not use it....

Result. The car has gone. Reported again to council on Saturday and on Monday a ticket had been attached to the windscreen stating the owner had 7 days to move the car or it would be towed. Tuesday is was gone. I don't know if it had been moved by the owner or towed away, hopefully the latter. It would be a shame if it has just been moved to another road.... (and no it wasn't a 190E but a Vauxhall Astra).

The car and van I was talking about were parked so close to my driveway that I was risking an accident every time I wanted to leave my house, basically reversing blind into a main road because i'm just faced with a slab of metal with no windows when I try to see into the road.

Pure selfishness on the part of the owner, can't be ****d to park it right, that'll do'/don't give a toss mentality about drive access.
Why do you not reverse up your drive

You should never reverse on to a road

People who reverse from their drive onto the road wind me up.

If you reverse on to your drive in theory you know the road is clear so its a safe manouver. Yes takes 10s extra but nice and safe.

People who reverse on to main roads just do my absolute head in. There is no need.

If your car bottoms out maybe get your drive sorted or purchase a more appropriate vehicle for your needs?

Today thought

I think if the council gave them 7 days to remove it before it was towed, and it was removed the next day, then it was almost certainly moved by the owner - unless the council were lying about the 7 days!

I had one of these outside a property I own. It was green from the moss within a year and no one could do anything. It was a complete eyesore. I hope you get it sorted.

If your car bottoms out maybe get your drive sorted or purchase a more appropriate vehicle for your needs?
Wow, dead easy huh?

My drive is not the issue - the heavily cambered road is, it has a huge crown on it and hasn't been resurfaced in years, meaning the profile changes between the middle of the road and the gutter/drop kerb by about a foot and a half. The council won't do anything about it 'because no money' so aside from moving house to solve this problem, I have no option but to reverse out.

Oh and I have the perfect car for my needs, thanks.

Park on the road across your drive, guaranteed a spot to park and no hassle, or get someone to watch you back onto the road. I would love to know what grounds the council or anybody else have to tow me away if the car is 100% legal.

Park on the road across your drive, guaranteed a spot to park and no hassle, or get someone to watch you back onto the road. I would love to know what grounds the council or anybody else have to tow me away if the car is 100% legal.
Had a company car vandalised whilst parked on the street in the past, don't particularly want to put one of my own at risk of the same thing. I have no idea what the council do, or even if the cars/vans being moved was pure coincidence but, it suited my purpose at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom