abandoned car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My drive is not the issue - the heavily cambered road is, it has a huge crown on it and hasn't been resurfaced in years, meaning the profile changes between the middle of the road and the gutter/drop kerb by about a foot and a half.

Many years ago I lived on a quiet side road that was like that and used it to my advantage a couple of times when I needed to work under the car (parked with one end on the pavement and the other in the road) :D

Many years ago I lived on a quiet side road that was like that and used it to my advantage a couple of times when I needed to work under the car (parked with one end on the pavement and the other in the road) :D
Same here, when I lived at my mums house I removed the sump from a 1600 GT Cortina and changed the big ends bearings in the gutter.

Park on the road across your drive, guaranteed a spot to park and no hassle, or get someone to watch you back onto the road. I would love to know what grounds the council or anybody else have to tow me away if the car is 100% legal.
My friend got a ticket for parking across the end of his drive in front of the dropped kerb.....its still illegal even if its your own drive!!. They let him off on the end though....and I'm sure his father being on the county council had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with that!!!.

My friend got a ticket for parking across the end of his drive in front of the dropped kerb.....its still illegal even if its your own drive!!. They let him off on the end though....and I'm sure his father being on the county council had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with that!!!.
it appears that you just can’t win doesn‘t it 😀

Near to me is quite a busy road where the houses have large front gardens and there are parking bays outside.

The residents have a converted the said gardens into driveways but they’re all too tight to pay for dropped kerbs.

What they do is bump up the kerb, park on their drives and put bollards in the bays to stop shoppers etc parking there and blocking them in.

What fun there is to be had watching people move the bollards and park in the bays!! 🤣🤣

Near to me is quite a busy road where the houses have large front gardens and there are parking bays outside.

The residents have a converted the said gardens into driveways but they’re all too tight to pay for dropped kerbs.

What they do is bump up the kerb, park on their drives and put bollards in the bays to stop shoppers etc parking there and blocking them in.

What fun there is to be had watching people move the bollards and park in the bays!! 🤣🤣

I thought it was illegal to drive across the pavement unless a dropped kerb has been installed?

Not legal to drive across the pavement to your drive if there is no dropped kerb. When I had mine done at an older house where I moved the drive it cost about £1500...was a while back so I'm sure its lots more now! When I got my invoice some of that fee was to cover you getting the legal right to drive over that bit of kerb.....so if you have no dropped kerb you are not allowed to drive over the pavement...even to access your own property. Also its completely legal to park across someones drive if they have no dropped kerb.....sounds like a fun game!!

EDIT....beaten by a faster typist!!

Not legal to drive across the pavement to your drive if there is no dropped kerb. When I had mine done at an older house where I moved the drive it cost about £1500...was a while back so I'm sure its lots more now! When I got my invoice some of that fee was to cover you getting the legal right to drive over that bit of kerb.....so if you have no dropped kerb you are not allowed to drive over the pavement...even to access your own property. Also its completely legal to park across someones drive if they have no dropped kerb.....sounds like a fun game!!

EDIT....beaten by a faster typist!!

All correct. Especially your last sentence.

At our old house we turned the garden into a nice driveway and had the kerb done which I think in 2004 was about £1800 so we actually gained 2 spaces.

Yep I had the (tiny) front garden block-paved at my first house to get more parking, and extending the drop kerb wasn't cheap. It involved a survey first to check for pipes/cables/etc. under the pavement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom