Abandoned Secret Nuclear Bunker Isle of Wight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d

for the first time in 12 years, revealing the deteriorating condition of the important historic site.

The R1 ROTOR bunker was built in the 1950s and housed up to 200 radar operators and other staff at the peak of the Cold War. The site was eventually leased to the Isle of Wight Council who used the site as an emergency operations centre, but this was wound up in the early 1990s.

St Boniface Down is now home to important radio telecommunications for the Civil Aviation Authority and it is the CAA who have ownership of the bunker. Sadly, the decision was made to seal the entrances once the Council had moved out and it has been left in an abandoned state ever since.

In 2008, a number of local explorers managed to gain entrance to the underground bunker through an emergency exit. Shortly after the visit, the entrance was filled in with rubble and then concrete capped. That was the last time anyone had stepped foot inside the bunker.

Now, a video produced by urban explorers Abandoned Isle of Wight has allowed a greater insight into the layout and condition of the underground building. The video was filmed in 2016/2017 – some 8 years after the last visit – but has only just been published. Unfortunately, there has been noticeable deterioration to the flooring and the lower level pit has flooded even further.

Island Echo previously made contact with the CAA to explore the opportunity of a caretaker group gaining controlled access to the bunker to prevent it from deteriorating further. However, the CAA expressed that the area (above ground) is an important operational site and therefore no access will be permitted, not even to pump out floodwater to prolong the life of the bunker.

Fascinating.

Some years ago I managed to gain access to the underground station/complex that is under Wentworth golf course clubhouse and car park. It’s huge and many don’t even realise it’s there. Also managed to get into the bunkers underneath Brooklands. The entrance to these is in the David Lloyd car park off Brooklands road. Again, extensive.

Always wondered what is inside/underneath the complex on top of Culver down IOW.

How do members here know exactly how many miles they’ve done during the lockdown period??
Fascinating.

Some years ago I managed to gain access to the underground station/complex that is under Wentworth golf course clubhouse and car park. It’s huge and many don’t even realise it’s there. Also managed to get into the bunkers underneath Brooklands. The entrance to these is in the David Lloyd car park off Brooklands road. Again, extensive.

Always wondered what is inside/underneath the complex on top of Culver down IOW.

I worked on the track itself at Brooklands. Was a brilliant place to work, repairing the concrete that had broken away and fractured over the years. Was very hard work pouring and finishing as working at such angles for long periods. But was so enjoyable, as it was one of my first construction projects to be apart of. Never new of the WW2 bunkers that were present. Very fascinating, we would often take walks around and look at the Aircraft's on display and got to look around them on a few occasions. I never heard of the tunnels back then. But very interesting to find out now they existed.

Must off been so deadecated and focused on my job I didn't ever take note of them lol.

Thanks for sharing the information. Very interesting.

I don't know how, but I quoted a different thread in with this one lol. Sorry :doh:

I don't know how, but I quoted a different thread in with this one lol. Sorry :doh:

Tut-tut-tut....

I used to maintain some of the bunkers shown on the Subteranean website (not Isle of Wight).... Interesting times to say the least.

If you're ever in Cheshire, the bunker at Hack Green is open to the public.

There's a secret bunker in Essex... trouble is I don't know where it is 🤣

That's the one that is famously pointed-to by a sign saying "Secret Nuclear Bunker".....

I wonder if the sign-writer saw the joke.....

When I lived in Woking I used to see a "psychic fair" signposted every year - that always made me smile.

Hi,
I used to have a part time job (would have been full time in war) as a Home Office Warning Officer based at the Metropolitan Sector Control bunker run by the Royal Observer Corps in Horsham.
We trained weekly and had regular weekend exercises and conferences - all to train in the event of a nuclear war!
Then the Cold War ended and we were stood down.
My face was featured in the UKWMO recruitment brochure (photos from this are on the Hack Green website)
Cheers
Steve

When I lived in Woking I used to see a "psychic fair" signposted every year - that always made me smile.

Last night I slept with a fortune teller.

Now she's a happy medium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom