ABC Ball joint repair / recondition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought it failed immediately.

nope mate, ive discussed it a few times. Its the ball joint rubber bit that goes. People dont notice normally and carry on driving, if left unattended it then doesnt do its job and something inside the strut gives. It nearly always the ball join thats gone. Was on both my front 2. I spoke to arnott industries and had them done over there.
Now we have a UK recond person woooo wooo as its if you have gotto the strut soon enough then its only the ball joint that needs to be replaced. ABC Suspension maintance just got a hell of alot cheaper

The one in the thread you linked to failed, it's going in to be re done.

wasnt the strut that failed, it was something else

OK so I went into mercedes today to get some ABC fluid for the strut im replacing. Got talking to the parts guy and they do replacement ball joints (for the CL ABC system anyway). Im pretty sure the S class is similar/the same. here is a diagram he gave me.....

balljointabc.jpg

Also it was around £35!

I don't see any ball joint on that diagram

That's a bush (more's the pity as a replacement ball joint - particularly at £35 would have very good news!)

Ohhhh sorry guys I'm not the most clued up and that's what the guy said to me! Where is the ball joint then?

no problem !!

If you click on the link in the first post here there are plenty of good pictures.

A ball joint allows the thing to rotate/point in any direction (within limits) to follow the suspension geometry. The bush in the diagram you were given allows the strut to go up and down only

CL500 Rear suspension vibration

Hi

My CL500 behaves as if the damping on the left rear has gone .. it feels like the wheel is bouncing over bumps, as in - not damped.

Reading this I'm now not so sure. Can the damping go in these ABC struts? .. other than this, the ABC behaves fine and there is no dipping of that corner of the car suggesting the strut has failed completely.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom