ABC suspension; a good thing or a nightmare?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
I will be looking at, and test driving, a 2008 “Sport Edition” SL350 this coming week.

I believe that there is a possibility that the vehicle has ‘Active Body Control’ suspension.

Whilst this initially seems like a bonus, I am concerned that if it goes wrong it will cost a fortune to fix, compared to regular springs and dampers.

Therefore, does anyone have experience of the ABC suspension? (On an SL or another Mercedes). Is the ride better, from a comfort point of view, or is it firmer and sportier? (I do a lot of motorway miles, so razor sharp B road handing is not a requirement for me).

Additionally, does anyone know of any horror stories about ABC suspension? Or is the general wisdom that it is as reliable as any other part on a Mercedes?

Thanks for your advice J

Whilst this initially seems like a bonus, I am concerned that if it goes wrong it will cost a fortune to fix, compared to regular springs and dampers.Therefore, does anyone have experience of the ABC suspension? (On an SL or another Mercedes). Is the ride better, from a comfort point of view, or is it firmer and sportier? (I do a lot of motorway miles, so razor sharp B road handing is not a requirement for me).

It will go wrong and cost a fortune to fix. The rams tend to leak and are £1000 each, the control valves also leak but it's normally just the alloy compression washer that has corroded, but your dealer will fit a new valve for about £1000.

A chap called Television on "another forum" would be a good person to ask as he has intimate knowledge of fixing his on a few occasions.

Always worth getting more than 1 story though. I've heard dogs make nice pets, but I've also heard that they bite and have to be put down. Just because someone had had a bad experience doesn't mean it's all bad. Just saying. ;)

SL350 has no ABC !! So you'll be ok. HTH.

I am looking at a 2008 old shape "Sport Edition" SL350, which I understand was given £8K worth of options and promoted just as the new 08/09 SL model came along, in order to clear old stock.

What has me worried is that someone posted that they thought that one of the 'extra' bits of kit was the ABC suspension. (Frankly, I'd be happy with regular springs and dampers.)

So, how do I tell the difference? Stick my head in the wheel arch and check for a spring & a damper? !

I am looking at a 2008 old shape "Sport Edition" SL350, which I understand was given £8K worth of options and promoted just as the new 08/09 SL model came along, in order to clear old stock.

What has me worried is that someone posted that they thought that one of the 'extra' bits of kit was the ABC suspension. (Frankly, I'd be happy with regular springs and dampers.)

So, how do I tell the difference? Stick my head in the wheel arch and check for a spring & a damper? !

There would be at least one suspension-related switch in the car.

My old SL has ADS (adaptive damping), which is the predecessor to ABC. There's a console switch to put the suspension in 'sport mode' (which is firmer), and another that allows you to raise the car (for more ground clearance) or lock the suspension (for jacking).

PS which Pitts version? I can only run to a little one (S-1S) :eek: :D

Pitts03.jpg

Last edited:
My 98 S210 has ADS

- it ain't gone wrong.

- it don't 'alf go round corners quick.

Pitts Pilot said:

The SL350 was not speced for ABC ever. Here's a link.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Body_Control

Using eyephone so can't embed the link correctly. HTH.

if it has ABC, it will have a couple of buttons in the semi circular array behind the gearstick

Thanks BTB 500. Sounds like the chances of finding ABC suspension are silm. However, how do I recgognise ABC? Springs and dampers I know about! But I don't have a clue about ABC :-(

I own and fly a Pitts S2A out of Leicester Airfield. It's alot of fun, and there are no speed cameras in the sky! So 200 mph, inverted spin, with smoke... ,but I admit it's whatever 'blows your hair back'.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful, and will take with me to the next car.

I've just done a HPI check, and the car looks as though it may have been overclocked. Here is a copy of part of the Experian HPI report:

This Experian® mileage check was completed on 25/03/2012
23/04/2010 VMC 24000 miles
07/05/2010 VMC 24000 miles
13/08/2010 VMC 64190 miles **************
01/12/2011 DVLA 36000 miles

Unless there has been a 'mistake', I think I need to walk away from this one. What do you think?

Thanks

Hmm hard to tell about the overclock. As you can see the report is only about three months after a previous one which would indicate to me a letter to a previous owner from the DVLA to confirm mileage. This happens all the time and people stuff it up although this is a huge error. If you're not buying it from a main dealer I would be wary.

On another issue ABC is superb forget the naysayers it's a brilliant option on any Mercedes. The thing is only four years old too so I would forget about it failing. Anyway that is what the warranty is for right??

I've just done a HPI check, and the car looks as though it may have been overclocked. Here is a copy of part of the Experian HPI report:

This Experian® mileage check was completed on 25/03/2012
23/04/2010 VMC 24000 miles
07/05/2010 VMC 24000 miles
13/08/2010 VMC 64190 miles **************
01/12/2011 DVLA 36000 miles

Unless there has been a 'mistake', I think I need to walk away from this one. What do you think?

Thanks

That looks like an error, even a taxi wouldn't do 40k in 3 months.

Always worth getting more than 1 story though. I've heard dogs make nice pets, but I've also heard that they bite and have to be put down. Just because someone had had a bad experience doesn't mean it's all bad. Just saying. ;)

Lots of people have bad and costly experiences with ABC, but it's not my money...

Hmm hard to tell about the overclock. As you can see the report is only about three months after a previous one which would indicate to me a letter to a previous owner from the DVLA to confirm mileage. This happens all the time and people stuff it up although this is a huge error. If you're not buying it from a main dealer I would be wary.

It’s interesting what you are saying. I admit to being disappointed on the basis that the car HAS been clocked, but I take your point. It does need further investigation by the dealer.

To that end, I have dropped the dealer a line saying that unless they can show, to my satisfaction, that there has been a ‘mistake’, I am walking away. A polite, but firm message that I hope will galvanise them into action.

I also pointed out that the car should never have been on their forecourt in the first place with this ambiguity hanging over it!

The dealer is actually a large and established Land Rover main dealer in Salisbury. So they know about Range Rovers, but not so much about Mercs!

Thanks for the insight on the ABC suspension. I’ll check for the two buttons that control it if I get to inspect the car, clocking issue dependant.

It’s a minefield, as clocking is so easy. I did a quick Internet search, and there are 100’s of small firms that will provide “mileage correction”, no questions asked. One has to be SO careful buying a used car.

Thanks

ON modern Mercedes the mileage is held in 3 places and only the dashboard mileage can be altered, so it's worth having a dealer or Mobilo interrogate the car for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom