Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supermas

Car
SL55 AMG
My local MB dealer just did a healthcheck on my SL55 AMG and told me that my front shocker ball joints have excessive wear. They said the remedy would involve replacing the entire strut leg!

The parts they quoted were:
230 320 44 13 - O/S/F HYDROPNEUMATIC SPRING LEG
230 320 45 13 - N/S/F HYDROPNEUMATIC SPRING LEG

These two are over £1k each!

Any ideas where I could source these parts for a less alarming figure?

Check with few indy`s and see what they would quote for same. On other "leg" its an AMG so it wont be an easy find.

i know a place that does recon struts. They come with lifetime warranty.
its in the us so you have to pay duty on it. Saying that the price still comes in at around £600 each. If you send them back your old struts you get £100 quid back.
ive also explained on here before that the struts main fault is the rubber at the top goes on them. Its only rubber so it deteriorates.
Like mercedes loves to do, to keep costs high on maintance costs and profit. Instead of replacing the rubber top for like £20 they dont sell just the rubber top but you have to replace the whole strut for £1,000.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_MERCEDES-BENZ_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid18_pid151.html

BTW i bought 2 for the front of my s600 and they work perfectly.

Last edited:
Don't listen to them m8.Had a w220 before,same problem joint is wear-you need to replace the whole strut-wrong. On the botyon of a strut you will find an alan key screw-that's what keeps the joint with the strut-easy job.

err, you mean you have worked out how to undo the strut and the rubber joint. Where do you go from there? Where do you get a new rubber joint from? If you're going to help him, and possibly others, elaborate further please.

If its the bottom joint then Borys is correct... Undo the allen nut and then remove the ball joint... unfortunately the allen grub screw rarely comes undone without having to drill it out.

Sorry,
Full story.Had a w220 s320,noisy front.Went to my friend's garage to investigate.We took the car up the ramp-ball joint dead.His first prescription-new strut.I said hold on a sec m8 what is that alan screw on the bottom,where thecstrut and join are linked.He said ooops you may not need a new strut.....few secs after he was on the floor KO (just kiding).He rang up dealer to fax over the suspension blue print and it showed that the join is changeable.He order part from local shop,job done.Hopefully sl would be similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom