About S212 rear air suspension sensor link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SKanemy

Car
S212
I have e class wagon S212.
I want to lowdown my car.
I can do it by adjusting rear suspension sensor link.
Do someone know the suspension link joint ball size?
I think φ6?
Best regards.

I have e class wagon S212.
I want to lowdown my car.
I can do it by adjusting rear suspension sensor link.
Do someone know the suspension link joint ball size?
I think φ6?
Best regards.

Welcome SKanemy.

Yes they are M6 size ball. I bought the complete assembly, M6 balls and cups with threaded rod with plastic sleeve off eBay for £10 a side. Just need to cut the rod and sleeve down to suit, I took some pics on my other phone, I’ll dig them out. They are basically the same as most HID level sensor rods that are more or less universal for many manufacturers. I bought them because one of the woefully cheap flimsy plastic originals on my S212 snapped (quite common as the ball needs cleaning and re-greasing periodically, but often gets overlooked at servicing resulting in corrosion and it seizing so the plastic just snaps as the suspension goes up and down while normal driving). I’ve got mine set at the standard height, but you can simply loosen the lock nuts and turn the cups to shorten/lengthen them and re-tighten the lock nuts to achieve the ride height you desire. I’ll get a link and post some pics later.

Welcome SKanemy.

Yes they are M6 size ball. I bought the complete assembly, M6 balls and cups with threaded rod with plastic sleeve off eBay for £10 a side. Just need to cut the rod and sleeve down to suit, I took some pics on my other phone, I’ll dig them out. They are basically the same as most HID level sensor rods that are more or less universal for many manufacturers. I bought them because one of the woefully cheap flimsy plastic originals on my S212 snapped (quite common as the ball needs cleaning and re-greasing periodically, but often gets overlooked at servicing resulting in corrosion and it seizing so the plastic just snaps as the suspension goes up and down while normal driving). I’ve got mine set at the standard height, but you can simply loosen the lock nuts and turn the cups to shorten/lengthen them and re-tighten the lock nuts to achieve the ride height you desire. I’ll get a link and post some pics later.
Thank you for reply.
I surveyed the joint link.
Which size is correct to S212 rear suspension ride height sensor at the link?
Does M6 size mean 6mm diameter ?
Best regards.

Sorry, i didn’t make it clear. I mean a M6 thread on a 10mm ball diameter sized stud. Those look ok (and cheap!) but are plastic, better off with metal really, stainless better but more expensive.

Here the ones I bought:

There may be other/better ones available, but these seemed ok for the money. Not sure about shipping to Japan though.

Just thinking back now though, I haven’t replaced the studs yet (was in a rush and needed the car) but plan to, so not 100% that they’re M6, but that’s only to fix on the sensor which has a little metal bracket, I can’t remember right now if it’s just a hole to slot through and tighten the back nut, or if the hole on the bracket is threaded and the stud screws directly into it. If desperate, you could take the bracket off the sensor and drill out the old studded ball and fit whatever is suitable for the remaining hole i suppose.
They are definitely 10mm size balls though. I’ll post pics of mine shortly.

Here’s what I got:
BC883DD4-D99C-4B85-8567-287EFDE7F46C.jpeg

Here the grotty balls with existing snapped link:
1C9DF307-75A6-491D-A59B-F9C7109A7F4B.jpeg

Old and new link before cutting down with hacksaw (careful with the threads):
22779EB1-96CE-4448-98C2-B357D6574200.jpeg

This sort of size is about right for adjustment either way or standard:
EADAF133-5FD1-468A-A0B5-F666E7229BC7.jpeg

With cups on:
78D48AD4-91DD-49EE-A195-07920C6BB16E.jpeg

Snip down the plastic sleeve and slide on the rod (grease inside it before slipping it on). It’ll need a new protective plastic sleeve every time you adjust of course, or keep a few of different sizes, or just leave it off and grease up the bar good:
C8727500-A7D1-40E8-9853-672360F30C23.jpeg

And here it is back on the existing grotty ball studs on the bracket on the sensor:
7D6929E5-0EE3-440F-AE6C-727FFEE2E188.jpeg

That was just the trial fit in the pic above to make sure it all worked fine (it does). I did give the studs and brackets a bit of a clean up and plenty of grease, but didn’t get a pic. I am going to clean the brackets up better put new studs in, or get new brackets if they’re not too pricey.

Hope you get sorted mate. Don’t forget to grease ‘em all up!

Last edited:
Chugg san
Thank you so much!!
I can see the detail of the parts.
And I bought cheap one.
Because my car using situation is not heavy to my car maybe.
I try to lowdown my S212.

I cocern how many mm of the link correspond to how many mm of ride height.

Here’s what I got:
View attachment 104206

Here the grotty balls with existing snapped link:
View attachment 104207

Old and new link before cutting down with hacksaw (careful with the threads):
View attachment 104208

This sort of size is about right for adjustment either way or standard:
View attachment 104209

With cups on:
View attachment 104210

Snip down the plastic sleeve and slide on the rod (grease inside it before slipping it on). It’ll need a new protective plastic sleeve every time you adjust of course, or keep a few of different sizes, or just leave it off and grease up the bar good:
View attachment 104211

And here it is back on the existing grotty ball studs on the bracket on the sensor:
View attachment 104212

That was just the trial fit in the pic above to make sure it all worked fine (it does). I did give the studs and brackets a bit of a clean up and plenty of grease, but didn’t get a pic. I am going to clean the brackets up better put new studs in, or get new brackets if they’re not too pricey.

Hope you get sorted mate. Don’t forget to grease ‘em all up!

No probs mate. As for how many mm to adjust, it’s quite small adjustments needed. If you reduce the length of the rod 5mm, it will lower the ride height around 25mm. You could go a bit lower I reckon but not sure how far.

Thank you for many reply.
I have troubles.
My car can’t ride height up.
The ride height link is same as own parts.
Does this ride height sensor which is turning sensing have phase like 0deg is not same as 360deg?

If somebody know about this, please help me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom