About to buy a 2016 C350e or should I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wish I had extended my warranty on my 2016 C350e! I bought it in 2020 with a standard 3 month warranty from an independent dealer. This year I have been plagued with issues: Air suspension compressor replaced, Auxiliary Battery replaced, Starter motor replaced & now one of my rear shocks has started leaking. So frustrating:wallbash: I am not sure if MB reliability is that bad, if I bought a lemon or if I'm just unlucky? The parts are expensive. I should note that probably only the starter motor was a hybrid-specific issue.
So how much would you have paid for two years extended warranty? £1500 ?

And how much would you have saved against the the bills you've paid. (You'll need to exclude the battery replacement - not covered by warranty)

I would thing that the shocks would not be covered either....they were not on my last warranty....they are wear and tear items like the battery.

With any warranty MAKE SURE IT HAS WEAR AND TEAR COVER as all the others use that as a get out and you wont be paid out for anything.

My neighbour has a BMW 330e.It broke down 6 weeks ago and returned a couple of days ago.

Saw it once and it has now vanished.

OP, to answer your initial question I'm inclined to think you shouldn't (have) ... But as you have, good luck with it.

Had my c350e 2018 for about 4 months now, premier plus model, no issues with it, if you can't be bothered plugging it in just select charge mode and it will charge hybrid battery as you drive. Would agree you have to be doing town and country miles to get benefit if you do all motorway then not worth it, only complaint I have is that mine is the saloon and the battery eats up a lot of boot room, still love driving it, have found a couple of companies that will replace dead cells in hybrid battery if required and not at the price MB will charge for new battery.

Had my c350e 2018 for about 4 months now, premier plus model, no issues with it, if you can't be bothered plugging it in just select charge mode and it will charge hybrid battery as you drive. Would agree you have to be doing town and country miles to get benefit if you do all motorway then not worth it, only complaint I have is that mine is the saloon and the battery eats up a lot of boot room, still love driving it, have found a couple of companies that will replace dead cells in hybrid battery if required and not at the price MB will charge for new battery.
That's interesting would you share the battery company

How's it going did you buy it? update please we all read with interest.

Thanks for the thread bump Merc estate as I hadn't seen this thread before. The night before I picked up my C200 I had a bit of buyer's remorse and wondered if I should have looked at something like the OP's car. I also found some 330e for sale, though these were a bit above what I paid for my 2016 C200 AMG Line (£17.5k at 30,000 miles). I had exactly the same fears as the OP, especially since I recently retired and the last thing I need is a huge repair bill.

Nissan Leaf and an older C class: job done.

Horses for courses, but you do need the parking space in London to keep it charged all the time.

Take away cheap home charging and the financial and convenience case evaporated quite quickly.

This was along the lines I started thinking, though it was a Renault Zoe that seemed to keep coming up, but again the battery issue was throwing me off: I had read about being able to lease batteries, but the monthly cost put me off. Turns out that was a good call as I'm using less in petrol than battery leasing could have cost.

This (for me) is satisfying to read because I do only use my C200 on motorway journeys. If we're going local we take the 'other car' or more likely we walk as we're pretty handy for the shop we use mostly. In fact the C200 currently hasn't been driven for over 2 weeks, which seems a shame, but just the way our journeys have worked out. When I've used the C200 on longer trips I've been getting around 45mpg as I tend to drive gently these days at 65-70mph.

I'll probably be laughed out of this forum, but just to add 'the other car' is a 13 year old Ford Ka I picked up private sale locally, with 60k on it. It's got a few scrapes on it, but mechanically is fine (I recently regassed the air con myself as it was a little low after 13 years use and now works perfectly). Does around 50mpg, or more on longer trips, but the main thing is I can park it anywhere and not worry like I would if it was the C200. I use it to go to band rehearsals as I can fit my gear in the boot (just) and to gigs once we start again in September...looks a bit flashy turning up in a Mercedes anyway. Costs so far about £40 a month in petrol, which is less than the battery leasing could have been and only £30 a year in road tax. Insurance was £150 as well, despite zero no claims but 20+ years company car experience.

The only thing I'd maybe do differently in hindsight is perhaps look for an older C Class than the one I bought given the low use it's getting...lovely car though when I do use it. Maybe next car will be some kind of EV/Hybrid, but I'm hoping that will be at least 5 years for the main car, if not longer. If the Ka packs up, then I'd probably just get another cheap one.

So many ways to skin a cat as they say...

This was along the lines I started thinking, though it was a Renault Zoe that seemed to keep coming up, but again the battery issue was throwing me off: I had read about being able to lease batteries, but the monthly cost put me off. Turns out that was a good call as I'm using less in petrol than battery leasing could have cost.

It's a curiousity of hybrid & Evangelism. They keep going on and on about the massive fuel savings because fuel is now £1.?? a litre. Which would be fine but most people aren't doing significant mileages, Average mileage in the UK is 8,000, and that means that there are 15 million vehicles doing less than that.

For an awful lot of people, if not the majority, a fuel efficient and/or older car is the cheapest way, at least until hybrids and ex's are all over the place and values plummet. 330e's and C350e's are fine as alternatives to three litre petrol cars, but most people don't need that power for routine use in urban or rural uk

I never look at my mpg but the other day checking the add blue came across the mpg screen, so it reads from start 70 miles 1.29 hr, which was mainly 60mph and a stretch of road works at 40 mph about 4 miles, now the shocker MPG 68.9 average 46 mph.
Thats in comfort mode.
i would put a photo of the screen up but i can never work it out, if its true i'm happy with that and shocked.
2016 c 220 amg premium line.

My old company car was a slightly later 68 plate C220d 1950cc with the 9 speed auto and it was saloon. My average was 58mpg, but on a quiet run to the office (M4 and M25 but busy, so stuck to around 55-60mph) I could usually get into the 70mpg range. The last time I ever drove it to the office I got a fraction over 80mpg. I think I managed around 70mpg same as you on rare occasions in my previous 65 plate C220d which was an estate and the 2.1 engine plus 7 speed auto...very impressive for such a comfortable decent sized car.

Actually had a drive of my C200 (petrol) today and it's averaging 43mpg over the 1000 or so miles since I bought it. Made a nice change from my little Ford Ka, though I found myself going for a gearchange today and my C200 is auto. :D I got 46mpg when we went up to visit my family in July doing 65-70 on mostly motorways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom