About to buy first CLK - newbie - need guidance!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JulianBell

Hi all - I am so excited! I have decided to upgrade my Ford Cougar 2.5 auto and get a CLK. I had thought about a Volvo C70 (coupe/convertible) but whilst the exterior was OK, the interior sucked. Cheap plastic, no thought for design and as you spend most of your time inside, I need to get something that looked as nice on the inside as it did on the outside. Next door to the C70 sat a CLK and I just took the keys for a test drive and I was in love from the very first minute!!! The quality difference is incredible - better than anything else I've ever driven. So smooth, quiet, refined. Solid, well built, quality materials - nothing creaked as you went round bends like my cougar and the volvo. It really was no comparison!

So - here's my thoughts. Would appreciate some help and guidance from you experts.

I have £8k to spend, hope to get £2k tops for my cougar. To cut to the chase, I'm thinking of 230k avantgarde coupe/convertible, auto.

So - I need to have the multi function steering wheel (I think the non-function one looks square and blocky and of course no toys :p )
I NEED to have the black trim - I can't stand walnut - I've followed the posts and see that this means I need avantgarde (although i think I've seen elegance on ebay/autotrader with black and also avantgarde with walnut??? Am I wrong?)
LEather is a must. I have 2 kids that climb into the back - do I need black leather or is the grey OK? A few CLK Ive seen shows cracking leather on the drivers seat and some slight yellowing in the cracks - would this come off with a good valet? Any experience?)
Alloys - the few CLKs I've seen have some bad patches on alloys. the garage told me this was normal for MB. Is this true? CAn I patch them up? I prefer the thinner spokes than the more chunky older alloys.)
coupe or cabriolet? The cab had felt it had a massive bar across the top of the windscreen - is this my imagination or is it thicker than the coupe (for roll over purposes). Also are the rear headrests sufficient to protect if the car rolls over for the rear passengers.
What is the mesh that sits below the rear seats that you pull up for? I thought it was a wind deflector but I couldn't work out how it clipped in place. If I were to get a cab I would buy a deflector on ebay that I see folds into the boot when not in use - any experience of this?
engine - I'd love the 320 but it's insurance group 18 vs 15 for the 230 (vs 14 for my cougar) Would I notice much difference in ins costs (guess I will have to find this out for myself). Power - the 230 was great, far better than my 2.5 cougar (!!!) Is it worth going for the 320? Also fuel consumption - parkers say 230 is 29mpg combine, 320 is 27mpg. Is this accurate or should I just forget this - cougar was 32 but now with age (110k miles) I get 28 on the dash. Should I go for the 200? Feelts like a poor compromise if I can go for the 230 for not much more cash.
Or,,,, should I go for the new face lift model and pay the extra cash - is it worth it???
what else should I look for when viewing a new car? I've read about the rust around the boot lid - exactly where on the boot lid should I check? I'm seeing a Cab next week (320 avant, AMG wheels) - anything to check specifically on those?
I fancy replacing the star on the bonnet with the flat badge and replacing the grille too! (still have a bit of the boy racer within me - approaching 40 - mid life crisis?)
I'd love Black and then put some subtle crome trimming on it - nothing blingy but a little touch of class!!

Is the FMBSH really a must? Can't I just get a MBSH the next time and it would correct anything wrong in the past? Or is this my gamble that I end up paying for things that weren't fixed properly in the past?
Cost - how much extra is a MB service vs a std garage service?

So - a load of questions from a newbie. AS you can see I've researched this well so far but need some guidance.

So - any help/guidance/answers to questions and anything else you think I should look out would be really really helpful.

Julian:bannana:

I just sold this for £9.5k so you should get somthing pretty nice for your budget, the birds eye walnut (black wood) is much nicer than the normal wood. I found the grey interior lifted the car and that black was a little dark and dreary, as you said the MF wheel is a must and I always missed command.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=220214976362&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=012

I think you are right to look at the 230 or bigger as especialy in convertible form the 200 was a bit slugish and awfull on fuel (heavy?) none of the CLK's are going to rip up the tarmac (other than the 55) I drove a 430 and even that was pretty slow in my opinion.

My wife did however enjoy the CLK and in convertible form the W208 shape still manages to look pretty modern, it does creak a bit though.

MMMMmmm - lovely! I really like the replacement on the black.

One question - how can you get the back seat to be a full bench rather than the plastic insert? I sometimes need to run the kids up to the school and although there is no seatbelt (!) it's just 3 mins upa country lane. Is there a model that has this automatically? Is this what you get with the facelift.

On the facelift - I didn't realise about the wing mirrors having the indicators in them - something I would like. What else do you get from the facelift version?

Thanks
Julian

Mine is the 320 CLK Cabrio so a couple of thoughts from me before the real MB experts arrive..

MPG seems to be fairly constant at 30ish since I have owned in. Whilst I like the 320 engine I would be less bothered next time about a smaller engine. The 320 is certainly smooth and reasonably powerful but the car isnt exactly a sports car in any event. I didn't consider a coupe so cant comment on whether the top of the windscreen is thicker but in any event it certainly isnt obtrusive (either that or I am fairly unobservant!!).

Leather is definately a must. Its a posh car and leather goes with the territory for posh cars. I have grey leather which is unmarked. The car is a 2001 car with 60k miles and although I have only owned it about 8 months I assume it had been well used before and has therefor lasted well.

Wind buffeting with the roof down is fairly minimal IMO. I wouldn't be too paranoid about the wind deflector.

Purely personal opinion here (so dont shoot), but I would only consider the CLK if I were looking for a cabrio. Roof down they look plush, posh and elegant. Roof up the cabrio looks a bit awkward from behind but then again.... the roof can always go down! The coupe doesn't really do anything for me tho.

Hi and welcome - hope you find what you're looking for....

always strap the kids in - 3 minutes may be a lifetime.....:rock:

Hi renmure - thanks for your advice. I know what you mean about the car looking a little clunky as a coupe vs cabrio. The V70 was the same I thought.

THanks to about the wind deflector - I'm test driving a cabrio next week so we'll see! 320 avant etc

Also- clock the point about the belts in the back, which leads me to another question...

Has anyone/can you retro fit a lap belt in the centre of the back seat?

also - is there a sticky on LPG conversion for a coupe/cabrio?

thanks!

Hey mate,
I took the dive in for my first merc 2 months ago and funnily enough was also looking at Vol vo C70's/E46 COUPE.
But when i began to test drive CLK's, i didn't look back.
Ended up purchasing an avantgarde 99 V' plate, 230 K (manual) - facelift as well in Emerald Black.
It had 80k on the clock, with full Dealer Service History and i picked it up for £4500 - quite a bargain as now this spec is going for 6k+
There are a couple of things which need replacing like a mirror and fog lamp but that's fine. Also, i am getting a respray done my Mercedes Benz as part of the perforation warranty.
I would try and get one with as many extras as possible, mine has electric seats although they aren't memory.
The difference between facelift and non facelift, is not only the indicator on the mirrors, but to my knowledge pre facelift did not come with multi-functional steering wheel.
I have grey leather and after a good clean the other week, they have a great shine with minimal creases.
I have just purchased a set of 18" AMG II's and am putting them on as soon as my car comes out of the body shop.
Best of luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom