ABS activating when driving off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

popes11

Car
r class
Going round in circles with this problem. When I try to drive off in my 2007 r class the ABS activates at or below 5mph without pressing the brake pedal. It's the front passenger wheel that is stopping. Can't drive the car as it brings it to a stop. The ABS and ESP lights are on. Had a mechanic look at it and nothing mechanical he can see. As I cant drive the car I will need to get it put onto a flat bed and taken to a garage. So begins the expense. Was thinking of taking a chance and changing the wheel speed sensor but can't seem to even get a supplier for that.

Just wondering if anybody has a fresh idea of heard of this problem before. Spent long hours on this getting not nowhere. I know it needs on the star. Thought I had a company that done mobile star but appears they are using the fake system.

popes11 said:
Going round in circles with this problem. When I try to drive off in my 2007 r class the ABS activates at or below 5mph without pressing the brake pedal. It's the front passenger wheel that is stopping. Can't drive the car as it brings it to a stop. The ABS and ESP lights are on. Had a mechanic look at it and nothing mechanical he can see. As I cant drive the car I will need to get it put onto a flat bed and taken to a garage. So begins the expense. Was thinking of taking a chance and changing the wheel speed sensor but can't seem to even get a supplier for that.

Just wondering if anybody has a fresh idea of heard of this problem before. Spent long hours on this getting not nowhere. I know it needs on the star. Thought I had a company that done mobile star but appears they are using the fake system.

I know this is probably not ideal but you could "disable" the ABS and then you can drive the car albeit without the ABS. You would need to disconnect the front wheel sensor (at the plug in point). The lights will stay on (warning lights) but it will at least allow you to get to a garage. HTH.

cheers for that. Maybe a step in a positive direction so at least I could drive it to a garage. I tried pulling the fuses for the ESP but that just gave me a car that would not even go into gear.

Just had a thought. The front LHS is causing me the problem. If I take the RHS wheel speed sensor stick it on the LHS. Take the LHS and put it on the RHS. If the RHS then starts to give me a problem then it's a duff wheel speed sensor.

Inspiration at last. Turns out all I had to do is visit asda get 12 bottles of SOL and it all becomes clear. Probably too easy a solution but worth a try.

Are you sure the sensors are interchangeable? Not shape mirrored?

just assumed they would be as it's a piece of flexible wire.

Anyone know how I can get the part number for these for front wheel speed sensor? For some reason I can only find the rear sensor part. The rear is compatible for LHS or RHS

just assumed they would be as it's a piece of flexible wire.

Anyone know how I can get the part number for these for front wheel speed sensor? For some reason I can only find the rear sensor part. The rear is compatible for LHS or RHS

Call you local MB parts department and ask them, I doubt the part will be particularly expensive but I would get a proper diagnostic first.

So I disconnected the wheel speed sensor and the result is I can now drive the car without the ABS kicking at 5mph. Where the sensor connects into the brake it is kinda moulded into the metal. I will need to break the wheel speed sensor in order to fit a new one. So next move order up a new wheel speed sensor and fingers crossed that was the problem.

So I disconnected the wheel speed sensor and the result is I can now drive the car without the ABS kicking at 5mph. Where the sensor connects into the brake it is kinda moulded into the metal. I will need to break the wheel speed sensor in order to fit a new one. So next move order up a new wheel speed sensor and fingers crossed that was the problem.

I doubt a dodgy wheel sensor is causing your issue to be honest, if one is not working, it does not normally kick the ABS in, it normally stops the ABS working, and brings the ABS light on.

I would drive the car with the sensor disconnected to somebody with a STAR machine, then connect the sensor back up again, and see what the diagnostics say, before buying any parts.

It could be the ABS controller.

Of course I may be proved wrong.

popes11 said:

Glad it worked for you. At least now you are able to drive the car to somebody with a good diagnostic machine. Nothing worse than feeling abandoned on a driveway.

Would an ABS controller make just the passenger side front wheel ABS kick in? I have no idea.

Would an ABS controller make just the passenger side front wheel ABS kick in? I have no idea.

Honestly I am guessing too, but I just don't think a bad speed sensor would make the ABS kick in, I think it would just bring the ABS light on, and the ABS would not be active.

Hence get it on a star, and see what it says before spending money on parts.

Automobile. Have you saw this exact problem on the ML were the ABS kicks in on one wheel below 10mph?

Yes this exact fault on a ml320cdi, go to drive of and the vehicle emergency brakes, by pick up I mean the bearing, there is a magnet inside that passes the sensor in order to log each rotation.

cheers for getting back to me automobile. In your experience is it usually the sensor or the other part. I was going to order up a sensor and just replace that. Looks like I have a 50% chance of fixing it.

ah so probably both to fix it . Took the car out for a quick trip round the block and the car would not go into gear after about half a mile. Rolled it onto the kerb and took a deep breath. Tried again and it went into gear. Never had these problems with my first car (1982 ford fiesta). Feels slightly sticky when going into reverse and forward. Never had a problem with this car until now.

Cheers for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom