ABS, BAS, SRS lights on Mercedes W202 1998 (Diagnostic Tool needed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy69

Car
Mercedes C200 estate 1998 petrol (W202)
I have a Mercedes C200 W202 1998 petrol estate. The SRS, ABS, BAS lights are on and the service mileage needs resetting.
There is a 38 pin round connector under the bonnet, I don't think it has a 16 pin connector in the car (I could be wrong)
I am looking for some diagnostic tools that will help me reset/fix my issue. I do have a laptop so am happy to use any tools with it.

Please advice as to what is the best tool for me and not too costly:)
I am a newbie to diagnostics.

Thx.
:wallbash:

Hi, for the SRS likely to be passenger seat occupancy sensor(under seat) ABS/BAS lamp on,more than likely to be brake light switch(above peddle) do a search on here for more information if required,can check both out with multi meter.

service reset in users manual,simple dash switch sequence,sorry can't remember off hand and not near my manual.

Last edited:
Hi, I can check the for the SRS switch under the passenger seat, to see if it is ok.
Several months ago the ABS and BAS lights were on so I did change the brake switch under the pedal. This made no difference so assumed something else is the issue. I purchased the switch from Mercedes so it is genuine (unless it is faulty!). When I have had issues in the past replacing the brake switch has fixed the problem. Any ideas?

check both out with multi meter.

If the brake light switch is faulty just look if the brake lights work, or am I missing something?

This is a coincidence for me as I am getting an occasional four system warning but mine is:

BAS, ESP & Airmatic accompanied by an orange ABS warning light that stays for a day then vanishes.

I'm told my problem could be a wheel speed sensor.

This would make sense for tripping the BAS & ABS but why trip the ESP & Airmatic are these four things linked somehow?

This is happening on my 2000 S500. I will have to get out my Carsoft and read some codes.

Service Reset
Switch ign on and immediately press button lower left of instr panel (just below the +and -buttons) twice switch ign off
press and hold same button while switching ign on
after 10 sec the new interval will appear also a beep release same button
switch ign off

Dont know your area iam in northeast and have diagnostic equipment if thats any help

Glen, the brake lights do work. I have no cruise control or traction control.
I know in the past when the brake switch has gone, the brakes lights stay on permanantly, this is isn't the case this time.
Also noticed that where my auto gear stick is there is a light on that says 'airbag is off', I guess it's related to the SRS light. Thx

Paul, thanks for the offer on the diagnostics, but I am in Warwickshire.
I do have a work colleague that lives in Newcastle and he travels back and forth each week between Newcastle and Warwick. Would you be willing to loan it to him?
What diagnostics software/hardware do you use?
I will try what you suggested for resetting.Thx

Hi Paddy, its Snapon scanner with all makes software and all leads, sorry could not loan as its in use most days.

Paul, no problem. I tried your service reset steps and nothing happened, I heard no beep after the 10 seconds. I tried a couple of times with no joy.:(
Do you know of any other diagnostic software I can take a look at?
Thx.

Check the rear ABS sensor rings at the end of the drive shafts. If one is broken or missing then the offending lights will stay on.

In the old thread link 'Carsoft Diagnostics' is mentioned. Does anyone know what version I should use fo my car and has anyone got a web link to this software/hardware.
Thanks.

If you get carsoft, you also need the multiplexer (Interface between the laptop and the connector on the car) and that's the expensive part....usually available from chinese suppliers.

V7.4 carsoft works, but beware , as it's not brilliant and getting diagnosis done on a STAR system is far better.

I've just had an intermittent orange warning light (BAS/ESP).
Put it on the Star Diagnostic and it was the brake pedal switch.
Quick and cheap fix - new switch, Star reset, job done.

hay there paddy wonder if u can help me out! iv just got a w202 saloon c class 250td , but like yours the abs,traction controll are off ..but no warning lights to say there off! also car is very slugish for a 150bhp it should be overtaken by 1,1 saxo's , having grate trouble getting advise do you have any , things ican check?? im looking into getting a brake swich and dionostic tool, but the abs and asr lights dont stay on so the ecu must think there working right? hard to work out! regrads adam

Your best bet is to get it on a Star. It will save you ££ in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom