ABS Brake bleeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DamoC43

Car
C43 Estate
Hi all,

Seeking some advice. I'm wanting to bleed the abs system using scan tool. I've bled all brakes manually and now it's recommended to actuate abs pump and then bleed again afterwards.

I've a Launch Creader Elite scan tool, but when i navigate to the menu which is supposed to list abs bleeding i only get Two options, ESP(R) (Electronic stability program), or electronic parking brake. If i enter the ESP(R) it lists A7/3m1 (High pressure and return flow pump). If i click on this it does give me the optoin to actuate it for 3 seconds (I've not attempted that yet). The videos i've seen of people using scanners for this they get guided through the steps by the scan tool Eg: Press brake pedal, open bleed screw, abs pump runs for 10 seconds, now close bleeder, etc. It looks like A7/3m1 has something to do with abs but i'm not convinced this is the right menu for bleeding?

So i thought i'd give my Icarsoft v3 Merc scanner a try. It identified the VIN, selected ABS bleed from the menu and then it says 'Vehicle not supported'? The firmware was updated only a few months ago so i'm now totally stuck. I can't update it until next week as the only windows laptop i have is a company one and they disabled software downloads. I think it's running version 34.10.

Anyone got any advice? Car is C43 S205 2019 reg. And no i can't go and drive it on a wet car park and slam brakes on either as car is currently SORN and not insured yet as it's being repaired off road. I also don't want to have to buy yet another scan tool if possible.

Many thanks

Unless you let the fluid level in the master cylinder drop too far and let air into the system there should be no need bleed the ABS unit in the first place.

Unless you let the fluid level in the master cylinder drop too far and let air into the system there should be no need bleed the ABS unit in the first place.
Had to cut a front brake line to repair some damage and i didn't have a way to stop fluid coming out the cut end. When i topped up fluid pre manual bleed the tank did look completely empty....
I'm just a bit annoyed that a scan tool which is allegedly specific for mercedes doesn't seem to work. Should have been a 5 minute job :(

sorry but your way of working is worrying. Letting the cylinders run dry is asking for trouble as the seals need to be wet all the time.
Brake fluid will run out in no time from a cut bike.

No need at all to use scan tool for bleeding the ABS unit. No need at all.

sorry but your way of working is worrying. Letting the cylinders run dry is asking for trouble as the seals need to be wet all the time.

No need at all to use scan tool for bleeding the ABS unit. No need at
How are you supposed to stop a line leaking when you've got to flare the end in situ? Anyway too late now, it's done. Hope you're correct regards abs pump, seems a lot of people doing it claiming if they get air they can be a pig to bleed.

@mioba
Actually there is a need to use s scan tool... on this and many other cars including Jeeps and ALFAs I have owned. If you get air into the ABS unit it's near impossible to get it out with just normal bleeding.. you need the tool to position the valves within the ABS unit in such a way that the air can be released as you bleed.
And you are talking nonsense about the seals too... they would need to be dry for days before there was any risk.

No need at all to use scan tool for bleeding the ABS unit. No need at all.
Bike ??

Hi all,

Seeking some advice. I'm wanting to bleed the abs system using scan tool. I've bled all brakes manually and now it's recommended to actuate abs pump and then bleed again afterwards.

I've a Launch Creader Elite scan tool, but when i navigate to the menu which is supposed to list abs bleeding i only get Two options, ESP(R) (Electronic stability program), or electronic parking brake. If i enter the ESP(R) it lists A7/3m1 (High pressure and return flow pump). If i click on this it does give me the optoin to actuate it for 3 seconds (I've not attempted that yet). The videos i've seen of people using scanners for this they get guided through the steps by the scan tool Eg: Press brake pedal, open bleed screw, abs pump runs for 10 seconds, now close bleeder, etc. It looks like A7/3m1 has something to do with abs but i'm not convinced this is the right menu for bleeding?

So i thought i'd give my Icarsoft v3 Merc scanner a try. It identified the VIN, selected ABS bleed from the menu and then it says 'Vehicle not supported'? The firmware was updated only a few months ago so i'm now totally stuck. I can't update it until next week as the only windows laptop i have is a company one and they disabled software downloads. I think it's running version 34.10.

Anyone got any advice? Car is C43 S205 2019 reg. And no i can't go and drive it on a wet car park and slam brakes on either as car is currently SORN and not insured yet as it's being repaired off road. I also don't want to have to buy yet another scan tool if possible.

Many thanks

I've bought 2 icarsoft units , the mb3 and then the cr pro , none of them are any good for my 18/19 GLC coupe.

How are you supposed to stop a line leaking when you've got to flare the end in situ?
Depress the brake pedal just enough - as in beginning of brake application - and jam in position with a stick against seat or steering wheel. That will stop the reservoir from draining. Too late for this job, but for future, that's how it's done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom