ABS & ESP malfunctions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clarea

Car
2005 S320 cdi Limo
Whilst driving along today the ABS light came on followed by an ESP malfunction and pre safe malfunction on the dash. Carried on driving and the steering got heavier and heavier.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what that all means please and is it going to cost me loads to fix? I'm hopeless with this stuff :fail (always previously relied on my dad who is no longer with us).

Thanks guys

Whilst driving along today the ABS light came on followed by an ESP malfunction and pre safe malfunction on the dash. Carried on driving and the steering got heavier and heavier.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what that all means please and is it going to cost me loads to fix? I'm hopeless with this stuff :fail (always previously relied on my dad who is no longer with us).

Thanks guys

Get yourself to a decent Mercedes independent garage with a star diagnostic system and have the codes read to find out what might be the problem, only from there will you have a clue as to costs.

I have had this in the past on two different cars and both occasions it was the brake pedal switch. You will probably find your cruise control will not work either. You can check the fault out, when you start the car and drive off, you may not have any warning lights on at all, but use your brakes and up come the lights.

Common fault on the W210, usually down to the brake light switch; the ABS and ESP warnings come up on start-up. Switching off and restarting usually cures it for a time.

Thanks all. I only bought it in July and it is still under warranty so will take it back to the dealer (not an mb dealer though) and see what is said. If they won't cover it (I don't see why not) then I'll take it to Wayne gates.

I have just restarted it and the same warnings came up :(

OK so I've just driven it again. When restarted the malfunctions were still there but as soon as I started to move, they all went and the car drove absolutely fine. So, has it miraculously fixed itself?! :)

If it is the brake switch would it reappear as soon as the brakes are applied?

Camerafodder - power steering fine now so I assume it can't be the serpentine belt.

You mention that the steering went heavy so something affected the power steering. A pulley seizing could cause the belt to drag. This pulley could be idler puller, tensioner pulley, alternator, power steering pump etc...

Had you driven through a large puddle?

Is there oil or fuel dripping onto the belt?

just some initial simple things to check for really.

Hi camerafodder, thank you for the suggestions. Yes the steering got heavier as I drove along. I don't think I went through any big puddles although we have had a bit of rain.
Will have a check to see if anything is leaking/dripping where it shouldn't. Thank you :)

With the engine off, you'll find the belt right at the very front. It should be reasonably clean and dry. Check for damage or any indication of damage to pulleys etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom