Abs esp service brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadleybenz

Car
E 320 cdi
Ok my protective shield on back on disc was loose and shaking about, I’ve taken it off why I wait for a new one
Now I’m getting abs esp and brake service coming on dash and steering goes heavier

happens when I set off around 10mph

what could it be? Was fine before I removed the shield

also my wing Morror has stopped folding in at the same time

confused abit

Ok my protective shield on back on disc was loose and shaking about, I’ve taken it off why I wait for a new one
Now I’m getting abs esp and brake service coming on dash and steering goes heavier

happens when I set off around 10mph
what could it be? Was fine before I removed the shield

also my wing Morror has stopped folding in at the same time

confused abit
Nothing on the dash until rolling at 10mph - yes?
If so, sounds like the ABS sensor is no longer close enough to the reluctor rings to detect them ie, it must be dislodged.
Wing mirror may or may not be connected - doubtful that is is. Two separate problems.

If so, sounds like the ABS sensor is no longer close enough to the reluctor rings to detect them ie, it must be dislodged.
Wing mirror may or may not be connected - doubtful that is is. Two separate problems.
Hi thanks for reply
Wing mirror sorted it was just stuck lol
And yeah I was thinking possibly dislodged or possible broken down wire I’m going to have a look some point todah
Don’t understand why merc make the steering go heavier when this fault happens tho and other cars don’t do this
Strange but that’s mercs for you

Hi thanks for reply
Wing mirror sorted it was just stuck lol
And yeah I was thinking possibly dislodged or possible broken down wire I’m going to have a look some point todah
Don’t understand why merc make the steering go heavier when this fault happens tho and other cars don’t do this
Strange but that’s mercs for you
To stop you speeding whilst turning with no abs and no esp id imagine . Otherwise people wouldn't bother sorting it out

OP you said you 'just took it off...'

It had totally mangled itself and just pulled off
Did it rot away or did something catch it and push it into the disc ? I ask because once you have fixed the fault it is often not just a case of popping the new shield back on . On many cars its a complete disc , calliper and hub off job unless you can get to the rusted in screws that are holding what is left of the disc shield to your hub , if you can get the remnants of the shield off without removing the hub you might have to cut the new shield to fit so it can go back on without removing the hub.

I have yet to replace one that was not a complete pain in the a$$ as described above. I have not replaced one on an E class and for all I know it might be a simple job ,maybe someone on here who has might give better advice.

Ps . if it rusted away then the one on the opposite side of the car might be on it's way out too.

Wiring or sensor fault will be detected at 'key-on' and the dash lights come on immediately.
Faults where the sensor can't read or wrongly reads the reluctor ring need the vehicle moving before the dash lights come on.

Front wheel speed sensor or there's rusty crap dropped onto the hub pick up ring area .

I had this same problem on my e320 a couple of months ago. Same symptoms.

i had a damaged reluctor ring N/S front. The ring is part of the wheel bearing oil seal which is pressed into the rear of the bearing housing.

i bought a new front wheel bearing which came with the seal/ring. Care is needed when pressing the new seal into position so as not to damage the magnetic surface and to ensure it is not pressed in too far which would increase the gap between itself and the speed sensor.

This solved my problem and normal operation returned.

As for the disc cover plate. Mine was knackered and had to be replaced. There are three screws holding it in place. I had to cut slots in the heads with a hacksaw then use an old fashioned impact driver to get them out.

Wiring or sensor fault will be detected at 'key-on' and the dash lights come on immediately.
Faults where the sensor can't read or wrongly reads the reluctor ring need the vehicle moving before the dash lights come on.

Ye I start the car and no faults until I hit around 10mph then the faults show up

^^ A bit like the rear boot alarm on my estate, it was playing up a while back but instead of alarming up when you engage drive it waits until you have driven for a short while (I must test the 10mph thing next time) and then bloody alarms up !

Usually just as I have pulled out of my quiet street onto a busy road :doh:

Ye I start the car and no faults until I hit around 10mph then the faults show up
Can't help but think that the ABS sensor got dislocated during the bare knuckle fight with the splash shield. I'd check there first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom