ABS light on and grinding noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

popes11

Car
r class
Hi

Anyone have an idea what this could be. Driving home from holiday yesterday (with 4 kids in the car) about 80 miles from home the ABS light came on. Got two error messages on the dash.

ESP defective visit workshop
ABS defective visit workshop.

As everything else seemed ok so I just kept driving. Went to take the car out this morning and with a couple of meters I got a grinding noise from the front brakes and the ABS light flashing with what felt like the brakes coming on. Put the car straight back in the drive. Lucky it not start giving real problems on the motorway so thankful for that.

Any advice appreciated.

Your meat has worn off your pads. The backing plate is grinding against your disc.

This happened to me when I ignored the grinding noise for a few days. While on my way back from euro car parts with replacement brake parts in the boot, the pad backing plate got fired out of the calliper (as it became thin enough to slip out the gap between the calliper and disc), bounced off the bottom of my car, and my brake pedal went to the floor as there was then slack in the system. I had no brakes.

I was lucky that I managed to pull up safely, but don't take a chance on the same happening to you. :)

Just checked my brake pads and loads left on them. They were only fitted new in Feb this year. Gave the car another short test drive. The noise seems to be intermittent and may not even becoming from the wheels. It comes on during acceleration but not all the time. Basically a 40m long drive was enough to convince me to put the car back in the driveway.

The grinding noise could be the ABS kicking in. This may indicate a faulty wheel speed sensor or reluctor ring.

Get it plugged in. This will stop the guessing.

It needs plugging into STAR diagnostic system to determine what has put the warning lights on. Do you have a good local independant? If not tell us where you are and someone will be along with a recommendation.

It could be a cheap fix but without the diag you'll be guessing and throwing money at it

Thanks for reply. I am in Glasgow if anyone knows of a place with star. Can't really drive it so I'm wondering if there is somebody who could come to the car.

Hi
After much searching on internet I came across somebody with similar problem. His ABS was activating at low speed. I think this may be my grinding noise. He did the following to fix it.

" I removed the rotor to be able to thoroughly clean the ABS ring. I discovered about 1/3 of the ring was shiny, indicating rubbing on the sensor (loose wheel bearings?). I also found two teeth that were slightly deformed. I assume they were damaged when someone replaced the bearing.

I cleaned everything up and reinstalled, tightening the bearings ever so slightly over what they were before removal.

Problem solved! Feels really good to come to a stop and just stop"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom