ABS warning messages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
Fitted new track rod ends today and decided to remove front brake pads to give then a clean up as they were caked in muck. Rebuilt as per norm.

Went for a drive and an hour into the drive, the ABS warning light comes on and the following error messages show in the instrument panel.

1. Brake Assist not available. (Flashing)

2. Elec Stabil Prog Not Avail. (Flashing)

Brakes are working fine and there are no fluid leaks. Could I have disturbed the sensor and can anyone tell me how I clear these messages ?

Last edited:
TV, probably. Would you know how to reset ?

There is no reset for this, just make sure that the sensor (speed) is clean and correctly seated, and the warning lamp will go out on its own.

You may have to reset the ESP but I do not think so (turn steering wheel 3 times lock to lock)

Tried 3 times hard lock, no joy. Looks like another strip down tomorrow to see what's wrong. What a life !

If you look at the link you will see that the wires plug into the connectors, it could be one not quite in or dirt fallen onto a sensor as per link

Removed N/S/F front hub this morning, cleaned sensor and hub seal (as the hub seal seems to be where the sensor gets it's reading from).

Rebuild and road test. Same two errors. Now the cruise control is no longer working.

Any ideas ?

Removed N/S/F front hub this morning, cleaned sensor and hub seal (as the hub seal seems to be where the sensor gets it's reading from).

Rebuild and road test. Same two errors. Now the cruise control is no longer working.

Any ideas ?

Cruise control/ABS/ESP/BA is all part of the same circuit and will not work if the sensors are faulty or not making contact.

Did you check both wheel hubs, you must have disturbed one of the speed signal sensors if it was OK before, not forget the cable that plugs in

Cruise control/ABS/ESP/BA is all part of the same circuit and will not work if the sensors are faulty or not making contact.
There did not appear to be any adjustment method on the sensor. Only fitted with one bolt to the stub axle. I am sure that it reflects off the hub oil seal area ?

Looks like I will need to order a new sensor ?

TV, Only the N/S/F was possibly disturbed, as this was the only caliper that was removed for cleaning.

Even if I fit a new sensor, do the error messages go away by themselves or do they need to be reset ?

There did not appear to be any adjustment method on the sensor. Only fitted with one bolt to the stub axle. I am sure that it reflects off the hub oil seal area ?

Looks like I will need to order a new sensor ?

TV, Only the N/S/F was possibly disturbed, as this was the only caliper that was removed for cleaning.

Even if I fit a new sensor, do the error messages go away by themselves or do they need to be reset ?

These messages go away on their own in all of the ones that I have done.
I think that I would get an indie to read out the code

I just stripped down for another look at the set up. Does anyone know if the sensor reflects off the inner hub seal or the hub itself ?

Car is a C240 203.

I just stripped down for another look at the set up. Does anyone know if the sensor reflects off the inner hub seal or the hub itself ?

Car is a C240 203.
They are magnetic or toothed, so if you cannot see any teeth it is magnetic from the bearing.

I will look it up and post back shortly

Yours is magnetic working off the center of the hub, do check the cables and where they connect together.

There is no other info

Yours is magnetic working off the center of the hub, do check the cables and where they connect together.

There is no other info
TV Thanks. It will have to wait until next weekend as I busy tomorrow.

The most annoying thing is the loss of cruise control.

Television, What is item 35 (centering sleeve) in the drawing package used for ?

Could this be a tool for aligning the sensor ?

Television, What is item 35 (centering sleeve) in the drawing package used for ?

Could this be a tool for aligning the sensor ?

No it is not, early versions used a sleeve, its the same drawing for all the cars and the sleeve was done away with in Dec 1997

Additional problem this morning. Footbrake pedal "kicks back" when operated. for the first few minutes while driving..like a sort of warning.

Is this normal when you have ABS errors ?

Additional problem this morning. Footbrake pedal "kicks back" when operated. for the first few minutes while driving..like a sort of warning.

Is this normal when you have ABS errors ?

You could have air in the brake fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom