Abs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.farmer

Car
the only car is a Merc
W124, anyone had trouble with ABS light coming on intermittently, it comes on after a few mins driving, stays on for about 2 mins then goes off and stays off for the rest of the day, today, it didn't come on at all and i did 30 miles driving around town,any ideas would be greatfully received and faithfully applied. Thanks Rob

Rob,

Check your brake fluid level. When I was having probs with my clutch my ABS light lit up on occasion. Since I changed the clutch cylinders the thing hasn't shown itself.

Bob

Thanks Bob, have done that, i had sort of the same trouble on Ford Granada but the light stayed on all the time,took it to Lucas who found it was the brake reservoir cap which had a float in it, this float had broken so a new one cured the problem,cost i think was around £85.00. have checked this and it seems ok,only other thing i can think of is perhaps i have a faulty sensor, thev ABS still works though,ha ha i know that for sure. Seems like another trip to Lucas.

At the GTG I was talking to Andy I think, you know the gent with a red 230TE??. We were discussing brake fluid and he said that mine was due for replacement judging by the colour. I don't have ABS and he said that it was ok, but, with ABS they do like clean fluid. Just wondering if this could be a cause of your problem?

Thanks Ian, yes your right thats AndyK, not a bad sort of bloke i suppose,the only trouble is he's got more hair than i have, he he he Actually he's a bloody nice chap but don't let him know that,he could be right about the fluid, looks ok but then you never know, today it came on for about a min' then went off,have been all over the town,stop start etc and its as good as gold, so will have a quick look this weekend and maybe wait for it to come on and stay on then it will be easier to check,( or the brakes fail) best wishes Rob:confused: :confused:

tee hee - I knew you were talking about me :)

First thing and cheapest is to check the sensors are properly mounted, give them and the caliper a clean

Secondly, as Ian says, take a look at the fluid and rather than do a complete fluid change maybe just bleed a little off each of the wheels.

Thirdly, get the credit card out :(

Andy

The most common failure is for the leads to the wheel sensors to fail. Meter each one and wiggle test them to ascetain if they are all ok and the same resistance.
After all the sensors are only hall effect coils. Give the wheel stators a clean at the same time as a dirty one can cause erratic readings.

update, driving home after a while light came on and stayed on for longer than usual,slowing up gently at traffic lights,came to a halt and there was a DONG noise which i also felt through the pedal, at that very same moment the light went out,have been out and about tonight and it didn't come back on and the brakes felt fine so perhaps i had something sticking, am going to garage tomorrow to get the system checked, the saga continues,part four next week.:confused:

Originally posted by robert.farmer
...the saga continues,part four next week.:confused:

A New Hope?

LOL I hope the garage don't need to do any repair work or there maybe a 5th episode... 'The Empire Strikes Back' ;) :D

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom