Absolutely shocking!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A160DSB

Car
A160 BRABUS Metallic Meteor Grey
I was picking my car up from Grays and on the way back, on the A13 there was a 3 car smash. Looked really bad. In lane 3.

So i'm in lane 3 needing to move into lane 2 to get past the accident. Theres a guy, in a ford focus on his phone texting. Ive got my indicator on but because he was on his phone he didnt see me needing to move over.

So I opened my passenger window and greeted the middle aged bald man with "Get off your phone you *****, this is why we have accidents like this on our roads". At which point we were all but stationary about 100yds from the accident.

I noticed that there was a stupid amount of police, 7 or 8 cars all lined up in lane 3 to 'help' with this accident. So I opened all my windows and (as he continued to write his text) shouted again, get off your phone, this is why we have accidents. A copper noticed the commotion and came over to see what was going on. I explained to the officer that hes still on his phone, whether hes stationary or not, he shouldnt be, and was on his phone doing at least 50 or 60mph upto the accident site.

At which time the officer has thanked me for the information and apologised "on behalf of the motoring public" which ive never heard before and moved towards the focus in question. The window of the car was down so the officer went over and said "excuse me sir" and his reply was "wait a minute, ive just gotta send this reply" ....

As we were stationary in traffic, the cop decided to give the man the ticket while sitting in lane 2.

An expensive text message !

Somehow , I doubt he has learned a lesson .

If that was me he'd still be searching for his phone in a field somewhere...

An expensive text message !

Somehow , I doubt he has learned a lesson .

Unfortunately I think you are correct. He will be down the pub tonight bitchin' 'n moaning to his mates on how he 'got done up'. Then he'll finish his xth pint and drive home, phoning ahead to the take-away for his vindaloo....

I ride to work,

As I'm higher up on my bike than most cars as I pass them when stook in traffic :) I lose count of how many people are using phones.

Their really does seem to be a mental block on people that think they are so so important nothing can wait.

Since hands free kits are now so readily available, you have to wonder at the brain cells of hand users. But even using hands free conversations are brief and only if really neccesary.

Does hands free make a difference, I thought I read somewhere that the problem was the split attention rather than actually mucking about wth a phone that led to accidents?

You can STILL tell on a motorway or in fact any road if someone is on the phone hands free or not..

You get them losing 10mph in one go, moving gradually from each side of the white line.

How we did without them is a mystery I sometimes think we have TOO much tech and I'm one for gadgets. There is however a time and a place and driving when talking on a phone is wrong.

What really is THAT important that 10 years ago never happened in a car yet the world still went round.

You can STILL tell on a motorway or in fact any road if someone is on the phone hands free or not..

You get them losing 10mph in one go, moving gradually from each side of the white line.

How we did without them is a mystery I sometimes think we have TOO much tech and I'm one for gadgets. There is however a time and a place and driving when talking on a phone is wrong.

What really is THAT important that 10 years ago never happened in a car yet the world still went round.

I know what you mean...but I had a car phone 23 years ago!!

A copper noticed the commotion and came over to see what was going on. I explained to the officer that hes still on his phone

Before you spoke to the officer, I hope you considered waiting until later and contacting your local Police station instead...

:rolleyes:

Does hands free make a difference, I thought I read somewhere that the problem was the split attention rather than actually mucking about wth a phone that led to accidents?

From a safety point of view, probably not. But from a points and fines, yes.

My satnav/handsfree even lets me perform hands-free texting, should I have the desire so to do(its not actually, hands free, but I don't type it on the phone.)

Nearly as clever as in-car TV...

brilliant

well done

now cue the morons saying you went about it the wrong way and should have used the power of the pen to write a letter or used the exhaust to make smoke signals or some other means other than the blatantly easiest, safest and most obvious

I know what you mean...but I had a car phone 23 years ago!!

I had a proper mobile "Brick" in the late '80s. I'm sure that's what cooked my brain...

A friend had an original Motorolla with external battery pack...and a Boss had a Nokia Cityman...How cool... LOL..

YouTube - ‪Only Fools & Horses Del Boy's Executive Mobile Phone‬‏

They havn't changed much really

image010.jpg

23 years ago - weren't mobile phones almost the size of cars then? lol

This was built into the car, and included hands free. In those days you had to leave the car into BT to fit the phone. It took a day.

To be fair I remember my dads first car phone in a Merc W124 it was E reg so thats pretty old now...

It was fixed in like you say a proper handset with a curly lead. The aireal from memory was oposite to the elctric one and had a little curly base also :) :)

The first ones I remember were basically PMR - you called an operator , told her the number you wanted to call , and she connected you . My pal who had it was something like 'aircall 4-7' , and he let each of us call home for the novelty .

My first mobile was a Motorola 'brick' on Orange , just after they started up , and £15 bought you a whole 15 mins of talk time . At least they did 'per second' billing , the only provider at the time to do so , and why I went with them .

My first one took the complete credit card 'sim'

Flip motorola with a manual pull up areial...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom