AC Compressor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
The Viano failed a nitrogen pressure test last week.
Before engine removal it passed the test and while i intend to replace accessible 'o' rings I'm assuming the compressor will be the culprit after being stood for months.

I considered the recon route, but that isn't looking worth while, unless others think different.
Oem is Valeo, that use other internals I've read.
Nissens are coming out cheapest, and seem to be well thought of.

It's as good as winter here already, so not desperate. But advantageous to get the AC working and exercised.

Thoughts appreciated on where to go other than eBay for price, and reliability of units.

So, for something expensive, this is the route I always go (and I did, for a brand new Hella compressor a couple of years ago at £200 :cool: )
Warning - this takes some effort, but might save you a few hundred quid. Some people's time is worth more to them than that.

- Get your Mercedes part number off the compressor, or other means (and compressors seem to be a funny one, with variation on the vehicle compared with what's 'supposed' to be on there).
- Get on Autodoc, and pop in your Mercedes part number.
- You will be greeted by a list of compressors from all the manufacturers, and more importantly, their manufacturers part number!

Now, get on Google and of course eBay.
I've had very good luck in the past, particularly now the Viano is more than 5 years old, in putting in all of those manufacturers part numbers in eBay and see what comes up new or new old stock.
I lucked on the Hella compressor at £220 or best offer. Put in £200 and I bought it. Better than the £400 or whatever for a new one from Autodoc.

Hella are a good brand. Mahle are usually good, but go for their premium line if they make one in that part number (part number usually ends with a P instead of an S).
Sanden make the Hella compressor, and it gets re-stickered up as Hella. Sanden probably manufacture loads of the more premium compressors that are then re-stickered up.
Do you know what the original manufacturer of the compressor is? If might give the original actual manufacturer part number on the compressor.

I've recently purchased a premium Mahle condenser from dustyblue on eBay. Genuine as far as I can tell and the quality is excellent. They also do compressors.
Not sure if these are the correct ones, but give an idea of price

Reactions: m80
Have you considered that the old heap is cursed?

Thanks for the thoughtful tips.
I've been looking at eBay compressors and checking their listings for inclusion of the original MB number for the Valeo.
Even if they don't always list the vehicle the 'A' number matches.
Best I'm down to is £"44 for Nissens, hence the question.
Autoairconparts comes in at £175, and with the recommend looks favourite.

Were you able to look at your compressor and see original manufacturer e.g. Sanden and get an original part number?

Chuck the Merc part number on here and I'll have a scout round if you like.

Yup,
Valeo A 002 230 72 1117E Z0004939043

Thanks.

Using my Autodoc trick and scouting round eBay.
And another Autodoc tip. Add a part e.g. the compressor to you basket. Register then log in and proceed to payment. Don't pay! Close your browser and keep an eye on your emails and you might get a series of increasing 36% 38% 40% 45% limited time offers teasers to buy what's in your basket. The prices I quote below assume a 40% Autodoc discount applied. I've found 40% comes easy. 45% is rarer.

Denso dcp17026 (good brand) £160 refurbished

Denso dcp17026 new £205 at 40% off

Valeo 813157 £182 new at 40% off, but don't go with the slightly cheaper reman unit. The few quid saving isn't worth it IMO.

That premium Mahle unit I linked above is £244 on Autodoc at 40% discount.

Nissens 890634 is £144 at 40% off, but I'd personally avoid a Nissens unit, but that might be unjustified (they just haven't been in the game as long as e.g. Denso, Hella, Mahle and Valeo, who supply to the likes of Merc on the production lines)

At the super cheap end of £135, this might fit and is reported Denso reman.
I'm very close by, so I could pop in if needs be to check them out. It would be worth giving them a call I think. The Merc part number doesn't match the number you gave, but the OEM supplier numbers match the Merc part number.

Of course, if you settle on a preferred option, double check your homework on making sure you have the correct unit. Go to the manufacturers website. See what they say. Call their help line is another option.
Not that a return is impossible, but who can be bothered with that faff. better get the ground work right first time.

Good luck buddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom