AC Issue & Tacho Bounce - connected problem ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scooters5670

Car
W203 C220 CDI Wagon/Estate
Hi There,
I am new to the forum and Mercedes ownership. :)
I have a late 2005 W203 C220 CDI estate and need your help please !:confused:
The problem I have is twofold and the main dealer is mystified though has suggested they could be connected via Instrument module problem:-
1) The AC (dial type) when in AUTO mode only blows full hot continually when on anything other than 18 degrees - The flaps all seem to work normally on manual with no nastly noises, I have tried the normalisation procedure and the main dealers say no problem showing up on STAR. Dealers tried a brand new head unit (in the centre console) but still had same problem. Apparently it works in manual (although is 3 degree hotter than actual) then as soon as put it in AUTO it blows hot on full power .. though apparently if the doors are open it works normally, soon as they are closed then it goes onto full hot again. Only get cold air when put on 18 degrees, soon as increase one notch then goes straight to full hot. if on cold then get slight hiss noise occasionally. They also tried disconnecting exterior temp. sensor and no difference.
2) The tachometer seems to have a flutter/wobble of 50-100 rpm which is noticeable when cruising at a constant speed or on a trailing throttle .. also seem to get a very slight hesistation in power delivery when cruising at constant speed .. nothing major .. just slight but noticeable as though the car is being held back slightly then released.
As I said I sent the car into main dealer to try and get problems diagnosed - they swapped the AC control panel with a new one and problem still remained, told me system is pressurised and OK - all flaps seem to work OK - but just blows hot on AUTO - STAR shows no problem with AC - they are mystified !!! The same with the Tacho issue - mystified as no significant Star problem.
The only thing they can think of is that on STAR the instrument cluster is showing an electical fault in Canbus with text saying no need to change if no other problem - the only problems are the AC and Tacho flutter/wobble - therefore he has suggsted they change the instrument pack as data from both is fed via this - however - apparently this has to come partly pre-coded from the factory, is car specific and therefore would have to be ordered, fitted and if it still did not fix the problem then it could not be returned - potential cost approx £900 -
As you can tell - after already paying for two STAR sessions - I am not that keen on having to pay over £900 for something that may not even fix either of the problems. :sad:
Please - any suggestions or help would be appreciated. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom