AC NOT WORKING w210 e320 1999 61K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shirleydrive

Car
E320 w210 1998 61K
Hi,
With summer hopefully approaching , thought I would test the AC. No cold air so interrogated climate control unit. . Most readings looked OK ish except No 7 (refrigerant pressure) This read 04 (4 bar?) No difference whether engine running or not. Am I right in assuming that compressor won't run due to low refrigerant pressure?
Pulled trouble codes but none present. Display indicated FF. Expected to see B1241 (refrigerant fill)
Here is the data list I pulled with ignition on but engine not running :-
1=16
2=14
3=36
4=35
5=50
6=49
7=04
8=20
Quite prepared to have system refilled if that's what it requires, but don't want to throw money away. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Been having another look at the data I retrieved from the climate control unit. The evaporator temp (50 deg C) doesn't look right. Certainly shouldn't be higher than the outside air temp (14 Deg C today). Suspect the compressor isn't running. Would high evap. Temp inhibit the compressor from running?? Will re-check tomorrow and also see if compressor clutch is receiving a "run" signal.
Mie

The system won't engage the compressor clutch unless it's happy with the numbers it gets from the various sensors dotted around it, so the answer to your question is "Yes".

The most common fault is low refrigerant, so a refill cures the majority of problems. I don't know if the offer is still current but Kwik Fit say/said they won't charge for a refill if it doesn't lower the air temperature by at least ten degrees. Don't worry about using Kwik Fit, they use the same automatic A/C device as everyone else.

Stratman said:
The system won't engage the compressor clutch unless it's happy with the numbers it gets from the various sensors dotted around it, so the answer to your question is "Yes".

The most common fault is low refrigerant, so a refill cures the majority of problems. I don't know if the offer is still current but Kwik Fit say/said they won't charge for a refill if it doesn't lower the air temperature by at least ten degrees. Don't worry about using Kwik Fit, they use the same automatic A/C device as everyone else.

It's still running. I had the BMW done today. Guy said it had not made a difference so no charge. 2 minutes down the road it kicked in,

Had another look at AC today. Found compressor definitely engaging but refrigerant pressure doesn't change from 3 bar so suspect I need gas top up. Also evaporator temperature sensor definitely appears faulty - stays at 48 Deg C all the time.
Will fit new temp. sensor first then have the system re-gassed.
Aa any comments would be most welcome.
Mike

kwik fit will check it before filling if there's a leak i dont think there is a charge - double check there web site - seem cheap enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom