Accelerator stuck to the floor!!...nearly ruined new trousers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Went to wedding reception last night. Directions given were pony - so had to do u-turn then floored it back down the A-road. Coming up to roundabout - pedal still stuck fully open :eek:

Hazards on, braked - revs cut off I assume as I had foot hard on brake, so took the opportunity to park and put the gear in Neutral...Pedal flicked back up...phewww

Adrenalin died down and continued journey with no other problems. Happened to anyone else?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow - scary!!!! Glad you're OK.

Very worrying mate. Did you ascertain what caused it?:crazy:

Was it stuck under the carpet or what?

Sounds like a rather disturbing experience :crazy:.

Agree with Brian that you need to figure out what caused it, you don't want that to happen again... :eek:

lo... my W123 does this all the time due to the official MB Club Pedal mod making it stick at the end... doesnt alf wake you up..

As basic as it sounds - it just felt like it seized as if not lubricated. Fortunately it's going in to my Indy tomorrow (they're doing that respray after dinging it at service) so will get them to look at it.

Just putting the trousers through a hot wash cycle :rolleyes:

MLs are quite prone to this... its just the way the cable is routed... try some lubricant on where the cable attaches under the bonnet..

MLs are quite prone to this... its just the way the cable is routed... try some lubricant on where the cable attaches under the bonnet..

So shouldn't this be a recall issue? It's a potentially lethal fault.

I had the same happen once but it was in a Fiat 126 (the original 600cc one) so I barely noticed :D

Also on a Triumph Dolomite, which had twin carbs. on a single intake manifold. The throttle cable went to one carb., with a bar to the other. That bar fell off and guess what ... the carb. butterfly was spring-loaded to the open position. It continued to accelerate quite enthusiastically with one carb. fully open and the other at idle, luckily it was a straight road and I was able to kill the ignition and come to a stop quite safely. Entertaining though.

That's amazing! I would like to think Gucci would write a letter to Mercedes-Benz UK outlining the exact circumstances, time and location.

I trust your vehicle has never been involved in an accident that has required any types of body repair?

Once Mercedes-Benz are made fully aware of an issue they cannot then subsequently deny there was an issue. If we do not formally complain, then guess what? :devil: :devil: :)

Glad to hear there was no damage, or no one was injured.

Regards
John

Good job it kills the power as soon as the brakes are applied..mind you, it saves engaging cruise control though.

Gucci, have you checked to see if the floormat could be causing it to stick down, mine does this occasionally, then suddenly releases after a sec or so.

Happened to a Renault 5 that I had once. The pedal used to stick when cold. Had not had time to look at why when man flue killed me. My mother took the car, I heard her start it, the engine rise to a scream, and then a big bang. Second hand engine required.

When I investigated, the guy who had tuned the engine previously had moved the throttle cable to the back of engine compartment and it rested on manifold. This caused the rubber outer case to stick until warm and melted. Was na expensive lesson!

David

revs cut off I assume as I had foot hard on brake,
Most modern cars cut the fuel supply as soon as you *touch* the brake pedal

I don't use my C270 much and the disks rust - I've tried to drive with foot on brake to clean rust off the disks, but you can't.

Most modern cars cut the fuel supply as soon as you *touch* the brake pedal

I don't use my C270 much and the disks rust - I've tried to drive with foot on brake to clean rust off the disks, but you can't.

Keep pressing the Go pedal, it will work..;)

You don't need to have the gas on to clean off the rust, a good vigerous braking session from 60 will do it. This worked when my BMW lived outside, a couple of good braking sessions later, and nice looking discs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom